Fury in Spain at US plans to produce ‘Iberian’ ham in Texas and Georgia

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

For the purist – and there are many purists – top-class jamón ibérico de bellota (acorn-fed Iberian ham) must come from Iberian blackfoot pigs that spend the last months of their lives eating acorns on the dehesa, a traditional Spanish or Portuguese pasture shaded by mature oak trees.

After being hung and dry cured for at least 36 months, the meat produced is silky with fat, and, say experts, has a flavour that can only come from the acorns. Spaniards consider jamón ibérico their greatest gift to international gastronomy – the caviar of the Iberian peninsula.

But now two American companies have had the incredible temerity to begin importing blackfoots to the US in order to make their own jamón.

Acornseekers, established in Flatonia, Texas, by two Spaniards, and Iberian Pastures, another Spanish-American venture in the state of Georgia, were both set up recently to capture the American market with their own version of Spanish ham. It will be marketed as jamón ibérico armericano or Ibericus meat.

I suppose its like domestic "champagne". There is no such thing. Champagne should come from Champagne. Protecting local foods is a big issue in Europe these days.

This list needs updating. I know that the famous Denbigh Plum has been granted protected status.

1597494846006.png

For the purist – and there are many purists – top-class jamón ibérico de bellota (acorn-fed Iberian ham) must come from Iberian blackfoot pigs that spend the last months of their lives eating acorns on the dehesa, a traditional Spanish or Portuguese pasture shaded by mature oak trees.

After being hung and dry cured for at least 36 months, the meat produced is silky with fat, and, say experts, has a flavour that can only come from the acorns. Spaniards consider jamón ibérico their greatest gift to international gastronomy – the caviar of the Iberian peninsula.

But now two American companies have had the incredible temerity to begin importing blackfoots to the US in order to make their own jamón.

Acornseekers, established in Flatonia, Texas, by two Spaniards, and Iberian Pastures, another Spanish-American venture in the state of Georgia, were both set up recently to capture the American market with their own version of Spanish ham. It will be marketed as jamón ibérico armericano or Ibericus meat.

I suppose its like domestic "champagne". There is no such thing. Champagne should come from Champagne. Protecting local foods is a big issue in Europe these days.

This list needs updating. I know that the famous Denbigh Plum has been granted protected status.

View attachment 375293

Americans like ham too, and many might like this. Its not just a European thing. And as you well know, the EU has put up barriers against America, being self sufficient for our food is important..

These new hams might not be exactly the same as the Spanish ones, but they should still be pretty good and probably available at a more popular price.

If it is the same breed of pig with the same diet, should taste the same. As long as it is not sold as from Spain, it should not matter.

We sell Swiss Cheese and Dijon mustard

View attachment 375293

Americans like ham too, and many might like this. Its not just a European thing. And as you well know, the EU has put up barriers against America, being self sufficient for our food is important..

These new hams might not be exactly the same as the Spanish ones, but they should still be pretty good and probably available at a more popular price.
It will be different. Peanuts aint acorns. I think it will be ok if it is honestly marketed.
In the UK we have Belgian and German lagers passed off as authentic but in many cases they are brewed in the UK. You have to check the label to see where it is made. These are big issues for British beer drinkers.

View attachment 375293

It will be different. Peanuts aint acorns. I think it will be ok if it is honestly marketed.
In the UK we have Belgian and German lagers passed off as authentic but in many cases they are brewed in the UK. You have to check the label to see where it is made. These are big issues for British beer drinkers.

We have acorns here in America we can feed the fancy Spanish hogs too.

But our squirrel friends might object.

View attachment 375293
/----/ " After being hung and dry cured for at least 36 months, the meat produced is silky with fat, and, say experts, has a flavour that can only come from the acorns. "
Which begs the question, who first figured this out and why?

View attachment 375293
/----/ " After being hung and dry cured for at least 36 months, the meat produced is silky with fat, and, say experts, has a flavour that can only come from the acorns. "
Which begs the question, who first figured this out and why?
White people. Most of the rest of them only know how to eat it first.

Ok, so Italy has gone through some of the same with products. I don't know why Spain can't., This is an issue and I get it and I agree with it.

This is how much it will cost for me to buy it:

I can't afford that.

There are days where I pull out a cookbook and swear I am moving back to Chicago just so I can get ingredients in a faster time period. So, no lie.......if you make those products in the US and it's as close as it gets then I'm probably going to buy it.

On the other hand, a lot of countries produce "Greek" or "Turkish" yogurt.

And wanna be Greek and Turkish yogurts fail, too, taste wise. Luckily I am close to a Mediterranean market where I am at.

Actually I have read about that protected local specialty or whatever they call that law.

It doesn't apply to a food made in a whole country, but things like a special cheese made in only one or a few villages.

Actually I have read about that protected local specialty or whatever they call that law.

It doesn't apply to a food made in a whole country, but things like a special cheese made in only one or a few villages.
Not just cheese.
View attachment 375991
Of course not just cheese, but it's impossible to protect a national specialty, just local ones. So no protected "Italian ravioli" or "feta cheese".

Forum List

Back