Fresh Prince "Uncle Phil" actor, dead at 65

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
James Avery, 'Fresh Prince of Bel Air' star, dies at 65 - NY Daily News

James Avery, known for his role as Uncle Phil on the hit 90s sitcom “Fresh Prince of Bel Air” died on New Year’s Eve, reports TMZ.

The 65-year-old actor reportedly recently underwent open heart surgery, and died from complications from the procedure on Dec. 31.

Avery’s wife, Barbara, was by his side before leaving for a brief moment to get food. Upon her return he was dead.

Well, that's a bitch of a way to start the new year. :(

RIP, Mr. Avery.

I remember as a kid people dying in their 60s wasn't all that uncommon, but now with so many people living into their 80s and even 90s, 65 seems so young to go.

I remember as a kid people dying in their 60s wasn't all that uncommon, but now with so many people living into their 80s and even 90s, 65 seems so young to go.

Yes, I agree. The average nowadays is late 70s. He was quite heavy, very over weight. I wonder if that was the main problem. Sixties seems too young.

Dam. Guy goes in for a common procedure and ends up dead. Is someone gonna sue?

And he was 68.

Dam. Guy goes in for a common procedure and ends up dead. Is someone gonna sue?

And he was 68.

That's why I'm thinking it is related to his weight. A common procedure for someone significantly over weight/obese can be potentially dangerous and definitely more difficult than for someone not over weight. As well, I don't seen open heart surgery as a common procedure in the sense that it is a simple or routine procdure. It is very, very complicated, sensitive and serious.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the talent of the gentleman.Not health yada yada. Screw health. I'm looking at his brilliance. Cripes this man was good.

Forum List

Back