Free Healthcare Question

AzogtheDefiler

The Pale Orc
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 4, 2018
Boston, MA
If my furnace breaks and I do not have heat, my family and I will certainly freeze in the winter time. I may call a plumber, someone who has studied the craft for years to get licensed so that they may fix the furnace. For that service I pay a fee. The plumber didn’t learn the trade to work cheaply and the better the plumber usually the higher the price point.

So if a doctor, has certain skills and can save a life why should they not charge what they want to versus what the Govt tells them they may, which is what universal healthcare is?

Like any other service it should be a contract between the patient and the doctor. Works with LASIK and with cosmetic surgery.

If my furnace breaks and I do not have heat, my family and I will certainly freeze in the winter time. I may call a plumber, someone who has studied the craft for years to get licensed so that they may fix the furnace. For that service I pay a fee. The plumber didn’t learn the trade to work cheaply and the better the plumber usually the higher the price point.

So if a doctor, has certain skills and can save a life why should they not charge what they want to versus what the Govt tells them they may, which is what universal healthcare is?

Like any other service it should be a contract between the patient and the doctor. Works with LASIK and with cosmetic surgery.
Even free healthcare..isn't really free. Just ask anyone who lives in a country with what we'll refer to as "universal" healthcare. They pay for it. And..no offense, insurance companies
already tell doctors what they will pay for a procedure. The doctor can charge whatever they wish. The client can pay out of pocket if the insurance company says GFY. Problem is,
most people...don't have that kind of cash laying around. I've seen some of the "doctors" charges for procedures that leave me scratching my head....so no, doctor's should NOT
be able to charge whatever they want.

And to your contract between doctor and patient..that would be a logistical nightmare for insurance companies and doctors to navigate. Can you imagine, having to negotiate and work
with hundreds of insurance companies to negotiate rates, deal with disputed claims and other complaints. Now...multiply that by 200+ million people or so negotiating directly...yeah..not gonna happen. :)

The difference between what the government or insurance pays and what you still owe is the telling amount you are looking for. My cardiologist and my Orthopedist are better paid for their time, than my nurse practitioner or my General Practitioner.

Don't worry about it ... Unless of course you are poor.
You'll be able to see any doctor you want, and get any procedure or treatment you want ... Unless of course you are poor.

Universal Healthcare is just a way the government intends to give more people shitty service, with less than stellar results.
Anyone that trusts the government with their Healthcare concerns is a dumbass.​

Even free healthcare..isn't really free. Just ask anyone who lives in a country with what we'll refer to as "universal" healthcare. They pay for it. And..no offense, insurance companies
already tell doctors what they will pay for a procedure. The doctor can charge whatever they wish. The client can pay out of pocket if the insurance company says GFY. Problem is,
most people...don't have that kind of cash laying around. I've seen some of the "doctors" charges for procedures that leave me scratching my head....so no, doctor's should NOT

And to your contract between doctor and patient..that would be a logistical nightmare for insurance companies and doctors to navigate. Can you imagine, having to negotiate and work
with hundreds of insurance companies to negotiate rates, deal with disputed claims and other complaints. Now...multiply that by 200+ million people or so negotiating directly...yeah..not gonna happen. :)
Take the insurance companies out of it. Sprained ankle…shop and see which MD gives you the best treatment for the best price.

I'm curious............why would you call a plumber to fix your heat? Wouldn't you call an electrician?????? Or do you have that old steam system with steam radiators??
Why would I call an electrician? That doesn’t make any sense? I have forced hot air but that wasn’t even the purpose of the thread.

The difference between what the government or insurance pays and what you still owe is the telling amount you are looking for. My cardiologist and my Orthopedist are better paid for their time, than my nurse practitioner or my General Practitioner.
Yes because of private pay but would they be under UH?

Yes because of private pay but would they be under UH?
Got no idea. Last major crap I had done, I was under private insurance and Tricare as it was before Medicare age. No matter. If something bad comes up, the people I send me to whomever they think will treat me best, and I will pay for any difference like I have always done.

There was a time when doctors got paid by patients. They arranged it. When I got sick, Dr. Bruck would come from across the street to see me. Grandma would give him two dollars and a big pot of gifilte fish.

Then came lawyers, tort lawsuits, and insurance. There will never be a reduction in the cost of medical care until there is tort reform.

We have no universal healthcare.

do you have a problem with Medicare??

Got no idea. Last major crap I had done, I was under private insurance and Tricare as it was before Medicare age. No matter. If something bad comes up, the people I send me to whomever they think will treat me best, and I will pay for any difference like I have always done.
The point of the OP is that what we have now works better than UH could or would and you agree. Thanks

Well when a democrat loses their funace they call a lawyer to fix it, just like they do healthc are.

Lawyers are like these super intelligent master race that is capable of running anything or fixing anything

It's like magic.

The charges are already negotiated and agreed upon. They cannot charge anymore than the agreed upon price.

The charges are already negotiated and agreed upon. They cannot charge anymore than the agreed upon price.
But the doctors DO charge the insurance companies more than an agreed on price...the insurance companies pay to
what's agreed, and that's that. But of course they can charge more..hoping that the insurance company might turn a blind
eye to it...which usually never happens.

Forum List

Back