"Free" college education

Grace Is Stoked

Gold Member
Jan 23, 2019
In my opinion "free" college education is misunderstood a lot of the times. It really can't be and shouldn't be 100% free. Now, "free" tuition is something that I think is realistic and that I would fully support but there is more to university education than just the tuition. If tuition were free for students then there would still need to be revenue generated through things like semester fees collected from the students in order to provide other important services for students on campus, living circumstances on campus, and to help the school progress.

I think full student loan forgiveness that you hear people in the Democratic Party talk about sounds great but is not full realistic and could lead to crashes in certain other systems. I think the best route regarding government student loans is to provide better incentives through the government to complete your studies on-time. So for example if you take out $5,000 in government loans to help pay for student fees or living circumstances (since tuition would be free) then you should get a percentage, possibly up to 50%, of that loan credited back as "paid" if you finish within a certain amount of time so that you end up only paying something like $2,500 total out of pocket.

I also think depending on the major you choose it should provide a better financial incentive towards your loan. So for example if you pursue engineering or medicine or business or biology or finance or teaching then finishing on-time would yield a higher reduction in what you ultimately would owe on the loan if you finish on-time. Same with certain vocational trades such as construction, welding, and so on. Whereas if you study a liberal art such a music or philosophy or sociology and so on the financial incentive of loan "forgiveness" would be slightly lower since the long term return on those degrees is usually lower. In my opinion this could encourage career choices that yield better long-term returns for the student and ultimately for the country, but the incentives would also help lower income students not stress too much about crippling, massive loans. A few thousand dollars to get a degree creates much more optimism for a student's future than paying or being in debt of upwards of $50,000+ from a public university.

There's more to expand on but it is doable and realistic in my opinion.

Free college education should mean the professors donate their time. Janitors and groundskeepers work free. No utilities like electricity gas or water. Free means no one pays.

The word "free" tends to muddy the water in my opinion. It's why I was putting it in quotations above.

With all these SNAP benefits. .. . are farmers and grocers and truck drivers donating their time too? :dunno:

It's never going to be free. Books. Building use fees. Dorm fees. Parking fees. Meal tickets. Cafeteria fees. Who's going to pay the professors fees. They'll thinkofsomething fees?

In my opinion "free" college education is misunderstood a lot of the times. It really can't be and shouldn't be 100% free. Now, "free" tuition is something that I think is realistic and that I would fully support but there is more to university education than just the tuition. If tuition were free for students then there would still need to be revenue generated through things like semester fees collected from the students in order to provide other important services for students on campus, living circumstances on campus, and to help the school progress.

I think full student loan forgiveness that you hear people in the Democratic Party talk about sounds great but is not full realistic and could lead to crashes in certain other systems. I think the best route regarding government student loans is to provide better incentives through the government to complete your studies on-time. So for example if you take out $5,000 in government loans to help pay for student fees or living circumstances (since tuition would be free) then you should get a percentage, possibly up to 50%, of that loan credited back as "paid" if you finish within a certain amount of time so that you end up only paying something like $2,500 total out of pocket.

I also think depending on the major you choose it should provide a better financial incentive towards your loan. So for example if you pursue engineering or medicine or business or biology or finance or teaching then finishing on-time would yield a higher reduction in what you ultimately would owe on the loan if you finish on-time. Same with certain vocational trades such as construction, welding, and so on. Whereas if you study a liberal art such a music or philosophy or sociology and so on the financial incentive of loan "forgiveness" would be slightly lower since the long term return on those degrees is usually lower. In my opinion this could encourage career choices that yield better long-term returns for the student and ultimately for the country, but the incentives would also help lower income students not stress too much about crippling, massive loans. A few thousand dollars to get a degree creates much more optimism for a student's future than paying or being in debt of upwards of $50,000+ from a public university.

There's more to expand on but it is doable and realistic in my opinion.
I don't think any person should be denied higher educ because they cannot pay for it. It should be cheap and accessible to get two years through a community college. Unfortunately some states don't have comprehensive universities in their larges cities so people can work and still continue school part time to finish up.

I agree with Grace, but more to restoring students ability to discharge their loans by doing public service. Good Riddance to BessyDevolution. Another of the Trump crew who are all for elite educations for them and theres, but not sharing a dime with the actual workers' kids.

Same thing for free healthcare for all. Are all the doctors going to work for free? Where are all the free hospitals?
The doctors will all be salaried employees of the state. Hospitals will be owned by the state. Everything paid for by taxes. Taxes will be extraordinarily high.

Same thing for free healthcare for all. Are all the doctors going to work for free? Where are all the free hospitals?

This is another issue that the Democratic Party has in my opinion that they need to adjust some. "Free" healthcare is also not a correct stance in my opinion. At the very minimum all patients, except for children and the elderly, should have to meet a specific yearly deductible before any additional services after that become "free" for the remainder of the year. Once you meet your set deductible, say $500, then that's when tax payer funded "free" healthcare would take over for that specific person. This is more realistic than literally it just being "free" at the expense of the wealthiest Americans as the Democratic Party usually talks about. All pay in through increased taxes but all receive free care after they meet their yearly deductible. Yes doctors might not be paid as much as they currently do but it wouldn't be significant most likely.

It's never going to be free. Books. Building use fees. Dorm fees. Parking fees. Meal tickets. Cafeteria fees. Who's going to pay the professors fees. They'll thinkofsomething fees?

Students would fund these things through semester fees. I mentioned this, just not in great detail, in my OP.

Free college and debt forgiveness is MANDATORY for Biden Harris to accomplish and they will. It wont cost any of you anything. The govt owns the money printing press. Its like owning an apple tree forest them saying “apples arent free”,,,,,,,um yes they are when you own all the trees

In my opinion "free" college education is misunderstood a lot of the times. It really can't be and shouldn't be 100% free.
Well if it isn't free, people need to work their way through college, and it shouldn't be too hard to do that, either. Tuition needs to come down, and some useful production and sales need to come onboard with the education. The student loans have got to go. We simply cannot allow all that studying-cum-partying on credit, or the drinking and drugging on the college campus.

Labor merely needs to be able to afford our first world economy.
In other words people (collectively) need to work, build, do, and make the things they need to survive and provide for themselves and their children.

A normal capitalist economy with free trade is very efficient at just that.

Labor merely needs to be able to afford our first world economy.
In other words people (collectively) need to work, build, do, and make the things they need to survive and provide for themselves and their children.

A normal capitalist economy with free trade is very efficient at just that.
Is that why the Chinese are doing so well?

Forum List

Back