Frederick Douglass statue commemoration ceremony

Frederick Douglass Statue Dedication Ceremony

Live Video - C-SPAN | C-SPAN

a great American icon.

"What shall we do with the Negro?"

by Frederick Douglass, a freed slave and prominent statesmen before, during, and after the War Between the States (commonly but erroneously named the "Civil War.")

"What shall we do with the Negro?" I have had but one answer from the beginning. Do nothing with
us!

Your doing with us has already played the mischief with us. Do nothing with us! If the apples will not remain on the tree of their own strength, if they are wormeaten at the core, if they are early ripe and disposed to fall, let them fall!

I am not for tying or fastening them on the tree in any way, except by nature's plan, and if they will not stay there, let them fall. And if the Negro cannot stand on his own legs, let him fall also. All I ask is, give him a chance to stand on his own legs! Let him alone!

He was just so amazing, I wonder; do children get taught about Douglass as part of their History lessons?

Last edited:
We made sure in our school district when I was president of the board.

I don't know about other districts. I would certainly hope so.

one of my favorite quotes...

I am a Republican, a black, dyed in the wool Republican, and I never intend to belong to any other party than the party of freedom and progress.
Frederick Douglass

I am a Republican, a black, dyed in the wool Republican, and I never intend to belong to any other party than the party of freedom and progress.
Frederick Douglass

Amen! Democrats can say that Republicans of that day were the "liberals" and "progressives" until they're blue in the face, but that doesn't make it any less false. They have a shameful and racist history, constantly manipulating America's poor to stay in power. They can't run from it, and to wish it upon the Republicans via a ridiculous myth of some "party switch" (seriously, you need to be mentally defficient to believe that happened...) is pathetic. Douglass was a Republican. Period.

I'll tell ya.......there sure are a lot of great men who are both republican and dead.

Where are all the great republicans who are still with us?

I am hoping CC will be come one that transcends the party boundaries as man who serves all Americans.

Frederick Douglass

Amen! Democrats can say that Republicans of that day were the "liberals" and "progressives" until they're blue in the face, but that doesn't make it any less false. They have a shameful and racist history, constantly manipulating America's poor to stay in power. They can't run from it, and to wish it upon the Republicans via a ridiculous myth of some "party switch" (seriously, you need to be mentally defficient to believe that happened...) is pathetic. Douglass was a Republican. Period.

ummm.....the "ridiculous myth of some "party switch" happened in 1964. Know why that was n00b AND it IS directly pertinent to this thread & a recent SCOTUS ruling? :eusa_whistle: Take your time.

ModerateGOP is accurate that there was no party switch in 1964.

What we saw in the decades following the CRA and the VRA that conservatives in the South migrated into the GOP and that liberals in the South migrated to the Democratic Party.

There is no way we Republicans can ignore that we had an infestation of white racists that took more than twenty years to lessen tremendously the negative influence. We see the few remaining ones here on the Board or on the fringes of the Tea Party movement or in Storm Front or whatever.

We have seen many in the Dems manage the argument so they look clean on the issue today, although they have many minority racists and pysoginists that they deny exist.

Both parties are vulnerable to charges of racism, covert and overt.

Tesla was awesome, and Westinghosue and Edison had tremendous impact on our way of life. Let's not get into a Tesla batter vs Edison; it will diminish the OP about Douglass.

Forum List

Back