Franklin Foresaw Today's Liberals

Soooooo, no dems voted for it???? obozo did not extend it????? back under your rock, weirdo.

Oh, no doubt there are dems who voted for it. Some dems are right wing. Even three Reps voted against it.

It doesn't make the point you want it to make. It makes the point that US politicians are all cretins and the system needs to change so that real democracy can exist. Let me remind you that I have never voted Democrat and I never will. That doesn't mean I can't talk about what I see. I don't play the team politics game where you have to pretend one side is all cozy and nice and the other is always bad and evil.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2001/roll398.xml

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"

The left wing idea that the government exists to protect us from everything will be the downfall of the nation.

Comments-------------

You mean the left wing that brought about the Patriot Act, the DHS, TSA, warrentless wiretaps, no knock searches, extraordinary rendition? Oh wait, that was the conservatives.

Yeah. Thank god Obama got rid of all that stuff.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"

The left wing idea that the government exists to protect us from everything will be the downfall of the nation.

Comments-------------

You mean the left wing that brought about the Patriot Act, the DHS, TSA, warrentless wiretaps, no knock searches, extraordinary rendition? Oh wait, that was the conservatives.

Yeah. Thank god Obama got rid of all that stuff!

Jeez... The RW puts all this police state crap in place, obstructs every attempt to end or change it, says you're either with us or you're with the terrorists, and now it's Obama's fault that he couldn't get rid of it? And idiots like the OP are trying to paint this as a "left wing idea"? What a load of crap!

No. It's Obama's fault that he didn't even try. It's his fault that he expanded and accelerated the growth of the surveillance state and the abuses of privacy authorized by the Patriot Act. Have you been asleep for the last five years?
The RW opened Pandora's box and now complain that Obama can't or won't put the lid back on. Thanks for giving the government all that power. You'll never take it away now.

Comments-------------

Comments-------------

Jeez... The RW puts all this police state crap in place, obstructs every attempt to end or change it, says you're either with us or you're with the terrorists, and now it's Obama's fault that he couldn't get rid of it? And idiots like the OP are trying to paint this as a "left wing idea"? What a load of crap!

No. It's Obama's fault that he didn't even try. It's his fault that he expanded and accelerated the growth of the surveillance state and the abuses of privacy authorized by the Patriot Act. Have you been asleep for the last five years?
The RW opened Pandora's box and now complain that Obama can't or won't put the lid back on. Thanks for giving the government all that power. You'll never take it away now.

True that. The LW sure as fuck won't let go of it.

Comments-------------

If the president had an -R after his name, you probably wouldn't even be bringing this up.

If the president had an -R after his name, you probably wouldn't even be bringing this up.

You don't know me at all, do you?

"States rights" are code for exactly what Franklin was complaining about, and of course keeping minorities of all kinds down...
Jeebus, hater dupes and Pubs are FOS. THEY have blocked any reform of the Patriot Act with votes and fear mongering- yet complain Obama has done nothing. A disgrace.. Meanwhile, Obama has added reforms with EO's and through the DOJ.

"But the ACLU's Richardson noted that while there have been no additional legislative oversight measures passed during Obama's presidency, there have been some put in place in the executive branch. Most notably, the Justice Department decided to implement several measures that were originally included in the USA PATRIOT Act Sunset Extension Act of 2009 - a failed oversight bill proposed by Sen. Leahy.

In response to a letter from Leahy in December 2010, the Justice Department said it had:

• Implemented a requirement that, when library or bookseller records are sought via a Section 215 order for business records, a statement of specific and articulable facts showing relevance to an authorized investigation must be produced;
• Adopted a policy requiring the FBI to retain a statement of facts showing that the information sought through a National Security Letter (NSL) is relevant to an authorized investigation, to facilitate better auditing and accountability;
• Adopted procedures to provide notification to recipients of NSLs of their opportunity to contest any nondisclosure requirement attached to the NSL;
• Agreed to ensure that NSL recipients who challenge nondisclosure orders are notified by the FBI when compliance with such nondisclosure orders are no longer required;
• Adopted procedures for the collection, use and storage of information derived from National Security Letters, which were approved by Attorney General Holder on October 1, 2010.

Leahy also said that DOJ had agreed to work with Congress to determine ways to make additional information publicly available regarding the use of FISA authorities.

"I still believe that these important oversight and accountability provisions should be enacted in law, but I appreciate that by implementing key measures in the bill, the Department of Justice has embraced the need for oversight and transparency," Leahy said in response to the Justice Department's action.

Where does that leave us? President Obama has spoken in the past in favor of more oversight and Attorney General Eric Holder supported the USA PATRIOT Act Sunset Extension Act of 2009. Nonetheless, the president signed a reauthorization that included no additional oversight. However, the DOJ has implemented key components of Sen. Leahy's bill.

The Obameter Revise the Patriot Act to increase oversight on government surveillance PolitiFact
Meanwhile, the dupes can't handle or argue with the truth. Pathetic.

the problem is that you libs lost the argument when obozo extended and expanded the patriot act.

you also are incapable of understanding that the PA has saved american lives----maybe YOURS

the problem is that you libs lost the argument when obozo extended and expanded the patriot act.

you also are incapable of understanding that the PA has saved american lives----maybe YOURS

I doubt it. Even if it has saved lives, I would rather that is was never enacted in the first place. I would just as soon live my life without the government listening in on all my conversations, tracking my every move, and otherwise invading my privacy - all in the name of security and preventing TERROR.

No pol willingly gives up power. Amusingly, David Ignatius the wash post correspondent and frequent talking head show contributer has a new novel on just this kind of electronic eavesdropping and the loss of freedom. John LeCarre had a not quite so good book a few years back. Damn Liberals. LOL

I doubt it. Even if it has saved lives, I would rather that is was never enacted in the first place. I would just as soon live my life without the government listening in on all my conversations, tracking my every move, and otherwise invading my privacy - all in the name of security and preventing TERROR.

so, you would rather be dead than have the govt listen in on the cell calls of known terrorists in this country?

Really? which or your rights are violated when someone bent on killing you is listened to? Is it the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? Wake up. The PA has zero impact on you unless you are a known terrorist.

No pol willingly gives up power. Amusingly, David Ignatius the wash post correspondent and frequent talking head show contributer has a new novel on just this kind of electronic eavesdropping and the loss of freedom. John LeCarre had a not quite so good book a few years back. Damn Liberals. LOL

there has to be a balance, in the thread on smoking you libs are all for government control to save your life, but you don't want them listening to known terrorists to save your life.

libs are a very confused lot.

there has to be a balance, in the thread on smoking you libs are all for government control to save your life, but you don't want them listening to known terrorists to save your life.

Apparently so are cons.

See, that's your problem, fish. You have to label. I voted for Slick, but I'm a goper. You think it's lib v. con but that's not the case.

Curse those liberals that pushed for the Patriot Act and the massive expansion of surveillance in the name of security. lol
Curse the Senator who advocated the repeal of the P.A. when he was running for president, then requested an extension of it AFTER he was elected (and now uses it against American citizens).

Yes, on this issue he is entirely wrong. If you think the NSA wasn't spying on Americans citizens before he got elected then I have some swamp land in Florida that I can sell you. You can blame liberals all you wish for this issue if you it makes you feel better. I remember when I raised these concerns many years ago and I was told "the Constitution isn't a suicide pact" and that I was a "terrorist sympathizer" for not blithely accepting the expansion of the surveillance state.
I was against the P.A. when it was passed because I knew the Democrats would abuse it the first chance they got, and they did. They campaigned against it but when they had the chance to repeal it, they extended it and expanded on it.

That's so funny! I was against the PA on the merits of the PA, but I did warn "conservatives" that their support would wane if a democrat was elected. I was right! :lol:

so, you would rather be dead than have the govt listen in on the cell calls of known terrorists in this country?

Really? which or your rights are violated when someone bent on killing you is listened to? Is it the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? Wake up. The PA has zero impact on you unless you are a known terrorist.

Yeah! Police should just be able to search your home anytime without a warrant too right? I mean, if you're not doing anything wrong...

Yeah! Police should just be able to search your home anytime without a warrant too right? I mean, if you're not doing anything wrong...

... you have nothing to hide!

Cons aren't confused. At all. uh huh.

of course not, and PA does not give them that right.

Forum List

Back