Former election commissioner: Cohen and Trump didn't violate campaign finance law

bripat9643

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2011
Whoops! Another snowflake scheme to get Trump gets shot out of the saddle.

Former election commissioner: Cohen and Trump didn't violate campaign finance law

Trump-haters hoping the president’s former personal attorney, Michael Cohen, will provide the evidence needed to impeach the president and perhaps even “lock him up” are likely headed for a bitter disappointment. The Cohen guilty pleas are likely irrelevant to the fate of President Trump.

That’s because in my judgment – as someone who served for two years as a member of the Federal Election Commission – the campaign finance law violations Cohen pleaded guilty to committing, allegedly at Donald Trump’s direction, aren’t really violations.

If I’m right – that is, if Cohen didn’t really violate campaign finance law, despite his ill-advised guilty plea – then it would be impossible for Trump to have violated campaign finance law by directing Cohen to take a perfectly legal action.

Confused? That’s understandable, because the media lump all the charges Cohen pleaded guilty to together when explaining this complex case. But in reality, Cohen was sentenced Wednesday in U.S. District Court in New York City on several separate and unrelated charges.

Cohen was sentenced to three years in prison by a federal judge and was also ordered to pay almost $2 million in fines, restitution and forfeitures after earlier pleading guilty to multiple counts of business and tax fraud. Those crimes have absolutely nothing to do with Trump, but rather involve Cohen’s own business dealings.

In addition, Cohen was sentenced on his guilty pleas to violating campaign finance law on Trump’s behalf – an action that, as I will explain, I believe was not really a crime at all.

Trump-haters hoping the president’s former personal attorney, Michael Cohen, will provide the evidence needed to impeach the president and perhaps even “lock him up” are likely headed for a bitter disappointment. The Cohen guilty pleas are likely irrelevant to the fate of President Trump.

That’s because in my judgment – as someone who served for two years as a member of the Federal Election Commission – the campaign finance law violations Cohen pleaded guilty to committing, allegedly at Donald Trump’s direction, aren’t really violations.

If I’m right – that is, if Cohen didn’t really violate campaign finance law, despite his ill-advised guilty plea – then it would be impossible for Trump to have violated campaign finance law by directing Cohen to take a perfectly legal action.

Confused? That’s understandable, because the media lump all the charges Cohen pleaded guilty to together when explaining this complex case. But in reality, Cohen was sentenced Wednesday in U.S. District Court in New York City on several separate and unrelated charges.

Cohen was sentenced to three years in prison by a federal judge and was also ordered to pay almost $2 million in fines, restitution and forfeitures after earlier pleading guilty to multiple counts of business and tax fraud. Those crimes have absolutely nothing to do with Trump, but rather involve Cohen’s own business dealings.

In addition, Cohen was sentenced on his guilty pleas to violating campaign finance law on Trump’s behalf – an action that, as I will explain, I believe was not really a crime at all.
Oh a guy with no influence whatsoever said that? Cool story bro. Not sure you should write about saddles or anything else getting shot for a little while, btw.

The FXN lawyers said that even if Cohen pleads guilty to a crime instead of litigating, that has zero to do with Trump.

Wow

I guess we should pack our bags and go home.

Oh a guy with no influence whatsoever said that? Cool story bro. Not sure you should write about saddles or anything else getting shot for a little while, btw.
With no "influence?" When did that become the standard of truth? Who would you accept as a qualified expert if not a former Chairman of the FEC?

Judge Napolitano: “We’ve learned that federal prosecutors here in New York City, not Bob Mueller and his team in Washington, D.C., career prosecutors here in New York City, have evidence that the president of the United States committed a felony by ordering and paying Michael Cohen to break the law,”

Fox News’ Judge Napolitano: We Now Know Trump ‘Committed a Felony’

Judge Napolitano: “We’ve learned that federal prosecutors here in New York City, not Bob Mueller and his team in Washington, D.C., career prosecutors here in New York City, have evidence that the president of the United States committed a felony by ordering and paying Michael Cohen to break the law,”

Fox News’ Judge Napolitano: We Now Know Trump ‘Committed a Felony’
We don't know any such thing. Napolitano has been acting like a deep state douchebag lately. It's hard to believe that he calls himself a libertarian.

If Mueller and the Democrats try using this for impeachment they are handing Trump or if successful the GOP candidate.

They are making the same mistake the GOP did with Bill Clinton. You can't go from White Water to lying about a blow job.

Democrats are going from Trump and Putin collusion to paying off mistresses

Mueller has nothing. If he did his report would be out.

As for Trump forcing Cohen?? I call bullshit on that.

Right........So, the prosecution was WRONG.....the Judge was WRONG and Cohen's plea (and his attorney) were all WRONG.......

.....and Trump is just this poor picked on clown........Right...........LOL

Of course Trump and Cohen didn't violate campaign finance law. Spending one's own money to protect one's reputation is not illegal.

If the Dems try to turn this into a crime, then let's see a public disclosure of all the people paid (with taxpayer money) out of the Congressional Hush Fund to cover up sexual harassment and abuse by elected officials.

Forum List

Back