Ford's Solar Hybrid

How about the 1909 Bailey EV?

As long as you're willing to drive a glorified horsecart in a circle on a smooth track at 20 mph with no heat, headlights or accessories, you could get 100 miles. The first time. Lead-acid batteries are degraded quickly by deep discharges, which is why the EV1's quickly dropped from their 100 mile spec to a 50 mile range.

HFC technology will advance to the point where they can hopefully just add water and boom, you're off. For people who claim to be all about science and technology, you sure think 1880's.

Speaking of the 1880's, that would be when snake oil salesmen were attributing various types of magic to plain water. If you're going to invoke free endless energy from water, you may as well invoke a Mr. Fusion to power the Delorean.

Tell that to Tesla why don't you? Mankind's history is littered with people like you...what was it that Einstein said?????

Oh YEAH!.......................

Great-spirits-have-always-encounted-violent-oppostion-from-medicre-minds.-Albert-Einstein.png

How about the 1909 Bailey EV?

As long as you're willing to drive a glorified horsecart in a circle on a smooth track at 20 mph with no heat, headlights or accessories, you could get 100 miles. The first time. Lead-acid batteries are degraded quickly by deep discharges, which is why the EV1's quickly dropped from their 100 mile spec to a 50 mile range.

You mean just like the LEAF today?

Car driven from London to Edinburgh for FREE thanks to new network of electric charging points (but it did take 12 hours and needed recharging nine times)

Nissan Leaf electric car driven from London to Edinburgh for FREE | Mail Online

Ford To Unveil Solar Hybrid Concept Car At CES

The C-Max Solar Energi Hybrid's estimated combined fuel economy is 100 mpg

Posted: Jan 02, 2014
By: Associated Press

c-maxsolarenergi-01-hr-1.jpg
The Ford C-MAX Solar Energi Hybrid (Ford Motor Co.).

Ford plans to unveil at this month's International CES gadget show a solar-powered concept car that offers the same performance as a plug-in hybrid but without the need for a plug.

The C-Max Solar Energi Concept car uses a gasoline engine combined with a gizmo that acts like a magnifying glass to concentrate the sun's rays on the vehicle's roof-mounted solar panels. The automaker says the vehicle's estimated combined city-highway mileage is 100 miles (160 kilometers) per gallon.

The U.S. auto maker says that by using solar power instead of an electric plug, a typical owner will reduce their annual greenhouse gas emissions by four metric tons.

The company says it sold about 85,000 hybrid or electric vehicles in 2013, including 6,300 units of its C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid.

The sun-ray concentrator was developed by researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology and uses what is known as a Fresnel lens, which concentrates light but can be made thinner than a conventional lens. A full day of sunshine is equivalent to a four-hour battery charge, or 8 kilowatts, Ford says.

On a full charge, it should have a range of 620 miles (997 kilometers), the same as the C-Max Energi. The concept car also comes with a plug-in port for standard electric charging.

Ford says that 75 percent of all trips made by an average driver could be powered by the sun.
After showing off the concept car at the convention in Las Vegas Jan. 7-10, Ford Motor Co. says that it will test the vehicle with institute researchers to determine if it's feasible for mass production.

plug-in hybrid but without the need for a plug

miles ahead of government motors

Typical EV uses about 1/3KWhr per mile.. So 8KWhr for "a full day in the sunshine" is about 24 miles or 0.6 gallon of gasoline. That's OK -- but its no freaking solution.. Particularly if you cant park in direct sunshine for 6 or 8 hours a day.. Even ANGLE of incidence and partial shade will destroy that advantage.

Cute -- but I don't think it does anything to overcome the issues of range or cost. Particularly for URBAN driving..

range is the problem

that is why i like electric hydrogen fuel cells

uses absolutely no fossil fuels

and gets a couple of hundred miles between fills

fills which btw takes minutes not hours

History is full of narrow minded cretins - so is the world today.
I see absolutely no downside to trying to reduce oil consumption and lots of positives.

Yes, solar cars aren't that great today but, with research and investment, they will be tomorrow.
The Boeing 747's wingspan is longer than the Wright brother's first flight.

I see absolutely no downside to trying to reduce oil consumption and lots of positives.

Yes, solar cars aren't that great today but, with research and investment, they will be tomorrow.

solar cars aren't that great today but, with research and investment

this car is pretty neat

the solar set up is different capable of recharging the battery

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhfnKlampBI]2014 Ford C-MAX Solar Energi Concept - YouTube[/ame]

this car is pretty neat

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhfnKlampBI]2014 Ford C-MAX Solar Energi Concept - YouTube[/ame]

Did you bother to even read this thread? Go back a page and you will see that the car needs a SPECIAL car port to be functional. Useless, absolutely useless.

Yes it is. And right now those narrow minded cretins are the green pushers. I agree that oil consumption reduction is a laudable goal. The problem is right now the production methods for the EV's are more polluting and far less efficient than the fossil fueled cars they wish to replace.

That is a huge problem. And your politicians are making it worse because they continue to reward failure.

this car is pretty neat

Did you bother to even read this thread? Go back a page and you will see that the car needs a SPECIAL car port to be functional. Useless, absolutely useless.

Go back a page and you will see that the car needs a SPECIAL car port to be functional. Absolutely useless

LOL

thanks for the info

i will have to check into that

--LOL

Hey Star.. Im not really trying to destroy any new brilliant ideas.. Truly im not. Probably a Ford Cmax Hybrid is my next car... BUT

Just found a better description of this solar version concept car.. I thought the lenses they were talking about were BUILT IN to the panels (ala Solyndra) But in this article, theyy expllain the lenses are in a separate PARKING STRUCTURE !!! ! !

http://mobile.extremetech.com/#/ele...-hybrid-car-can-charge-up-without-plugging-in

A Fresnel lens is a type of compact lens originally developed for use in lighthouses that acts as a magnifying glass. If you’re picturing a canopy of breakable glass ready to rain down on your car, think again. Frensel lenses are usually made from plastics like acrylic, so they are light and durable while also being cheap to make. When parked under the Fresnel lens canopy, the C-Max Solar Energi will track the sun and roll slowly backward or forward to keep the most intense area of solar energy concentrated on the panels.

Ford says that using this system the car can gain the equivalent of a four-hour plug-in charge (about 8 kilowatts) over the course of the day.*

I only looked it up because the charging rate didnt make sense for the panel size.

so im Really Sorry for being a buzz kill. But this just went from interesting to "No Thanks".....

rollin.jpg

yeah that is a real buzz kill

I see my point is proven.
Narrow minded fools dismiss technology because it isn't perfect first time.

Get your horses out of the stable, it's time to go shopping.
Remember, no cart because the first wheel wasn't perfectly round.

Normal people don't waste their time with inefficient systems. This is not just "imperfect", it's downright awful.

Normal people don't waste their time with inefficient systems. This is not just "imperfect", it's downright awful.

QED.
I don't suppose you have a computer because the early ZX80 was crap.
That was also downright awful, but it still introduced millions to home computers.

In years to come, we'll look at oil technology and wonder why we were so slow at getting rid of it.

Well, I guess we will see which the market chooses. Right now, the batteries seem to be winning hands down.

The fuel cells only make sense if you make hydrogen out of natural gas, instead of using electricity to split water. Otherwise, it's

Fuel cell -- turn electricity to hydrogen, then turn hydrogen back to electricity.

Battery -- use electricity directly.

But then, if you're going to use natural gas, may as well use a natural gas combustion engine, as the bus fleets do in my city.

Youre missing out on several oppotunities here. The amount of electricity used in water separation goes down drastically if you raise the temperature high enough. Thus theres been solar thermal and hybrid solar thermal/solar PV hydrogen facilities for over a decade.

New water splitting technique efficiently produces hydrogen fuel -- ScienceDaily

Furthermore, this is MUCH BETTER use of wind and solar as OFFGRID fuel producers.
This solves the storage and reliability issues of those electric generators and allows them to produce at that average flaky rates.

I agree that using nat gas or alcohols for fuel cell feed stock is a bad bait and switch. Not worth going there. But you missed the part where nat gas in a fuel cell is much cleaner than combusting it in an engine.

this car is pretty neat

2014 Ford C-MAX Solar Energi Concept - YouTube

Go back a page and you will see that the car needs a SPECIAL car port to be functional. Absolutely useless

LOL

thanks for the info

--LOL

it would be perfectly fine for Ford to do concept cars like this that are never going to market, if the media wasnt so lazy and gullible. Not only is solar charging energy this much energy from panels that small -- a gimmick, but it misses the mark of a marketable feature by a wide margin.

I was very disappointed that the press release got this much coverage, without reavealing the math and carport realities.. Dissapointing, but the effort gives Ford all this attention with the green crowd. Pitch them SOLAR CARS, and sell them Hybrids.

Hey Star.. Im not really trying to destroy any new brilliant ideas.. Truly im not. Probably a Ford Cmax Hybrid is my next car... BUT

Just found a better description of this solar version concept car.. I thought the lenses they were talking about were BUILT IN to the panels (ala Solyndra) But in this article, theyy expllain the lenses are in a separate PARKING STRUCTURE !!! ! !

ExtremeTech

A Fresnel lens is a type of compact lens originally developed for use in lighthouses that acts as a magnifying glass. If you’re picturing a canopy of breakable glass ready to rain down on your car, think again. Frensel lenses are usually made from plastics like acrylic, so they are light and durable while also being cheap to make. When parked under the Fresnel lens canopy, the C-Max Solar Energi will track the sun and roll slowly backward or forward to keep the most intense area of solar energy concentrated on the panels.

Ford says that using this system the car can gain the equivalent of a four-hour plug-in charge (about 8 kilowatts) over the course of the day.*

I only looked it up because the charging rate didnt make sense for the panel size.

so im Really Sorry for being a buzz kill. But this just went from interesting to "No Thanks".....

rollin.jpg

I wonder if those SOLYNDRA solar panels with the built in optical concentrators would have deleted the need for that parking structure. How ironic would that be? :lol:

rollin.jpg

I wonder if those SOLYNDRA solar panels with the built in optical concentrators would have deleted the need for that parking structure. How ironic would that be? :lol:

im not sure they even worked

LOL

thanks for the info

--LOL

it would be perfectly fine for Ford to do concept cars like this that are never going to market, if the media wasnt so lazy and gullible. Not only is solar charging energy this much energy from panels that small -- a gimmick, but it misses the mark of a marketable feature by a wide margin.

I was very disappointed that the press release got this much coverage, without reavealing the math and carport realities.. Dissapointing, but the effort gives Ford all this attention with the green crowd. Pitch them SOLAR CARS, and sell them Hybrids.

to me so far

as an alternative fuel

nothing compares to the electric hydrogen fuel cell

200 + miles on a fill

refills take minutes not hours

the by product is H2O

Typical EV uses about 1/3KWhr per mile.. So 8KWhr for "a full day in the sunshine" is about 24 miles or 0.6 gallon of gasoline. That's OK -- but its no freaking solution.. Particularly if you cant park in direct sunshine for 6 or 8 hours a day.. Even ANGLE of incidence and partial shade will destroy that advantage.

Cute -- but I don't think it does anything to overcome the issues of range or cost. Particularly for URBAN driving..

Yeah, makes me wonder how it would do in Portland, Seattle, or other places with heavy cloud covers.

Reading comprehension problem?
The OP article and the article below addresses your projected - read that, made up problems/issues... the Ford C-MAX Hybrid even allows carbon-suckers to continue to suck.

Ford estimates that the sun could power about 75 percent of the trips taken by the average driver, all with same range and MPGe ratings of the C-MAX Hybrid. That means a full charge will have a range of 620 miles, 21 of those miles being purely electric with no support from the gasoline engine.

In case you’re wondering what will happen if you’re in a cloudy region of the country or have a few overcast days in your forecast, there is still a charging port. Owners can still plug it into the grid if they prefer.

And those same drivers will need to have a second car around.

Forum List

Back