Forced Windows 10 upgrades?

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
Well, I had the laptop sitting there on about 90 minutes ago doing nothing. Next thing I know it is downloading a Windows 10 upgrade.

Microsoft and I got lucky I suppose.

1. I am home and plugged into A/C power on a nice day. The old Lenovo only has about 90 minutes of battery life and I have had bad luck before with laptops going dead in the middle of updates.

2. It was not doing anything mission critical. If it was waiting to broadcast to the TV, giving a presentation or whatever we would be angry.

3. Windows 10 is an ok system. I have zero reason to upgrade, 7 worked fine. Heck, while it is updating I am using an eleven year old XP (!) computer.

4. My data limit at home is practically non existent.

Dear Microsoft, this act of unreliability will get me to look at Linux again though. What's the easiest to use Linux version?

Ubuntu is a popular choice. openSUSE was great in my book as well.

In the meantime:

To block the upgrade by using Computer Configuration, follow these steps:
  1. Click Computer Configuration.
  2. Click Policies.
  3. Click Administrative Templates.
  4. Click Windows Components.
  5. Click Windows Update.
  6. Double-click Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update.
  7. Click Enable.

So if I can't get everyone in our company to do that all our PC's will randomly have to go through this 2 hour process?

If you're in a work office setting, it's possible that all the upgrade settings have been set to a specific time to download updates during non-business hours. If not, someone is a moron who isn't thinking things through. lol

That being said, you might not even be able to change this setting, as it might require administrative access. If you CAN change that setting, someone is a moron who isn't thinking things through. lol

Either way, Windows blows dogs for quarters, but dominates the market on compatibility.

Well, I had the laptop sitting there on about 90 minutes ago doing nothing. Next thing I know it is downloading a Windows 10 upgrade.

1. I am home and plugged into A/C power on a nice day. The old Lenovo only has about 90 minutes of battery life and I have had bad luck before with laptops going dead in the middle of updates.

2. It was not doing anything mission critical. If it was waiting to broadcast to the TV, giving a presentation or whatever we would be angry.

3. Windows 10 is an ok system. I have zero reason to upgrade, 7 worked fine. Heck, while it is updating I am using an eleven year old XP (!) computer.

Dear Microsoft, this act of unreliability will get me to look at Linux again though. What's the easiest to use Linux version?
Ubuntu. Matter of fact thats what I am using right now.

The free upgrade ends in June so I suspect Microsoft is trying to upgrade all those sold with 8 or 8.1 to avoid a last minute rush.

On a side note, if Windows 7 is your preferred OS, and you own a legal copy of it, there are download options to get a fresh install of it with all the important/efficient updates over the course of the OS's support pre-installed. Could be a great way to breath new life into your computer and maybe get a few more good years out of it. You'd have to figure all that out yourself though. lol

For most people today, it's not a choice of whether to upgrade but rather when. Now sounds like a pretty good time to go to Windows 10 because it's still free and most of the bugs have been worked out of it. Eventually Microsoft will start charging for it.

Same thing happened to me too. Others have reported it as well.

Fortunately the Win-10 upgrade worked perfectly for me and all systems and aps are working normally.

I have noticed that Win-10 does not copy photographs as easily as 7 did. But there are work-arounds.

Same thing happened to me too. Others have reported it as well.

Fortunately the Win-10 upgrade worked perfectly for me and all systems and aps are working normally.

I have noticed that Win-10 does not copy photographs as easily as 7 did. But there are work-arounds.

The Win10 browser has limited copy functions but I somehow can copy images with it.

Forum List

Back