New Windows 10 user. Anybody here understand what they are seeing on the Security tab in Event Viewer?

Had something unusual to me this morning when I woke up my Dell desktop/mini-tower system. When I logged in, it did not come up to my standard desktop. It came up under Microsoft Edge, on a Bing search engine page, which I quickly closed, and got out of Edge back to my desktop. I do not knowingly use Edge as a rule. I use Firefox as my browser and DuckDuckGo as my automatic preferred search engine, coming up to a DDG blank search page when logging into Firefox. I have a habit when getting off the internet when finished, of closing all tabs, going to my opening DDG search page, clicking to close Firefox, and the running a quick Ccleaner wipe, closing Ccleaner and letting the system go to sleep, usually not tuning it off.

This evening, got around to looking at event viewer events to see if I could understand how the morning's surprise wake up occurred. Saw the usual laundry list of security successful security audits during the day, including my logon around 8:43AM. i also saw a tremendous amount logons, special logon, special privileges extended, Windows activations, user account privileges changes. I might have been asleep, but I don't think this thing got any damn sleep, even Norton got in on the act.

Is this due to some automatic update setting I clicked or failed to un-click? Only had this thing 3 weeks, but do not remember a notice of "You have new updates" or "your computer has been updated" except when installing some software. I can understand it doing things while updating, depending on what is updating but I never let computers update on their own before except government or corporate computer for the IT geeks to tinker with at night. Whatever it was doing generated 129 megabytes of files from Edge and Internet Explorer as well a Explorer on the the system, some with my user logon identity. I can brows or read on the board for several hours and not generate more the 12 to16 meg of temp files. New to me because I haven't sat in a computer class since late 90s or very early 2000s.

So what? Blow it off as the way things work and has to be for it to keep working or does this indicate a computer security issue?
The problem here is could be a number of things including (but not necessarily) your computer being hijacked, turned into a bot. If someone hacked your wifi it's quite possible. Ya might want to consider changing your local network password. Is your router security set for WPA2?
As for Edge being open, what page/site was it on? Some programs will only access Edge to update regardless of which browser is set as preferred. I know my Windows gamer just updated yesterday with the new May (Version 2004).
Here's some info on the new update:
What’s New in Windows 10’s May 2020 Update, Arriving Soon
Yep. WPA2-personal. Not sure god could get that password as it about 23 characters, letters caps, special characters, not even keyboard patterns (which I loved back when I worked for a living. I can't talk to that thing unless I pull out the password book. Guest account is far easier, but guest cannot access much or even download. Do you let windows automatically update anything it wants on 10, as I never did in 7 or XP for that matter, space was a problem and sometime preferring to select which ones I needed based on what I wanted to be able to do Which, now that I'm retired isn't that much.
Edge was on a Bing search page, nothing highlighted, don't remember what all was on it. Just thought WTF? got out, Ccleaned, shut down to cold, restarted and everything was hunky dory. Suspect it was mostly an update thing. Saw your other post. Will check out Winaero Tweaker. Thanks for responding to question.
Win 10 updates automatically, no more personal choice there however it appears they are giving us more control over things like driver updates. Oh and when you go to Winaero they also have the old Windows 7 games for Win 8 and 10.
Edge is now Edge Chromium so what happened there might have been Edge browser updating. However the previous security update Microsuxs screwed up all Chrome and Chromium sandboxes, disabled them....... Their fix is apparently causing some people to lose files........ Win 10 is why I have two desktops, my Windows gamer and my Linux workhorse, both are home builds.
Winaero Tweaker is pretty comprehensive, gives you a lot of control over your system.
If somebody, like myself hasn't kept up as new systems became "the" thing, not "the new thing" there is quite a bit to pick up on in 10. Since I have the time and interest, think I'll sit a course at Jackson State, possibly as low as Intro to Micro, since I can do so for free as long as not seeking another degree, and I pick up better in a structured course when I just don't know, what all I don't know. Just have to look at current catalog. See what they got.
Win 10 has a bit of a learning curve if you're coming from Win 7 and especially coming from XP. Win 10 is supposedly the last Microsoft operating system, instead of new ones they simply do version (feature) updates every 6 months, cumulative updates once a month and definition updates supposedly as often as needed per day.
I also forgot, you can buy and install StartisBack for $4, it will replace the new start menu letting you choose an XP, Win 7 or Win 10 menu.
Found most of the answer in the online forums. May update was first significant update since I got the system. When it updated, it gave me an irritant some discovered since an update on 10, sometime in 2017, automatically starting edge on start up or logon. If no search engine has been designated, it automatically comes up in Bing on it's own (go figure). Showed me the settings to change and 9 step by step instructions so it does not run Edge browser on start up / logon and saves resources, not that I am worried about resources with this much ram and processor speed. I just want to be in control of my computer, not Microsoft. This also keeps Cortana at bay, as I am uncomfortable having a computer voice interface started without my knowledge. I don't mean to sound paranoid. If I am, at least I am not violently paranoid, so, it's all good!
I absolutely Hate windows 10. Coming from 7. Every morning I wake up to some foolish nonsense. I cant stand edge, so I use explorer and chrome. switch back and forth. Notices.. this that. now I have activate windows. so I tried that. Caught a virus. Had to get rid of that. Couldn't find the product key. Tried changing that. Right now I have FIVE computers. Because every time something went wrong, I went and got another used computer. Plugged in all over the house. I turn them on, off, babysit them. Like having 5 sick kids. blaa. why do they keep making things worse. 7 was great. No issues what so ever.
I am learning some ins and out and expectations of Windows 10 until it burps unexpectedly, not doing something new, but new to me as coming from7 Home Premium. I never purposely use Internet Explorer, as it it the oldest mainline browser on the market and most targeted by every nefarious jerk knowing how to more easily attack known vulnerabilities. I use Fire Fox as a more secure browser with a more easily accessible security settings. I do not use Google as Google is the most pervasive tracking info sharing search engine in the business, is entirely too large as an organization, and I basically regard it as the great Satan. I don't go there. Duck Duck Go serves my needs, is fast and effective. I do no formal research anymore, if I did I would probably go back with LexisNexis as the last time I was in college in the early 2000s, but they sell entirely to much user data reports also. DDG gives another layer of security and I believe takes my rights to privacy more serious. I stay off the dark web. I keep paid and unpaid security and cleaning processes on my system, active or dormant until needed. I maintain complete backup onto a drive not online with the system (and not in the cloud) and more than one login with Administrator privileges, both tactics have allowed me to defeat ransom ware and some other intrusions when my personal user account was compromised and the my main antivirus did not deal with it completely back in the old days. I avoid the the cloud as much a possible, preferring system and offline in house storage, figuring my data is my data. On all previous systems I have kept a boot disk that would come up in safe mode to a security system on the disk, not on the system, but have not on this Windows 10 system. Updates are important. Windows 10 seems to handle this better than any other system I have used, but I also have Belarc Advisor even on this system to look at the system and advise of problems or vulnerabilities. Back on my old system, it would link me directly to updates in the catalog that were no longer suggested or available from Microsoft's standard Microsoft update and give me a security Benchmark score and how to go about improving it, whether I always chose to implement the change or not, depending on how much it might impact normal operation as I judged appropriate. My router is fairly modern and has ram and processing that can and has been loaded with additional security beyond what came on it by my long time close friend and totally trusted geek, who ran his own computer consulting/security business, called Divined Intervention before his tragic murder, 5 years ago, standing up to protect someone who could not, because he was the only one available at the time that could. I don;t want him looking down, saying "Damn dude, I taught you better than this. Work the problem, read the forums, talk to people, use good software, take control of your system dude, you ain't just a user".
Now that Edge is built on Chromium it's a whole new game for Microsoft in the browser world. This isn't saying people are flocking to it or that they should. Unless Microsoft continues to do stupid things like they just recently did, (disable the sandbox in Chomium, Chrome with an update) Their new browser will be as secure as everyone elses. It's Microsoft so the privacy aspect of the browser is well, Microsoft......... However is is apparently more private than Chrome, something that's hard to believe but then again that's not saying much. I think Bing is still the primary search engine but one can now use many Chrome Extensions though the ability to do so has to be selected in settings, it's not automatic.
Microsoft will have to overcome it's past highly negative reputation with Explorer and Edge to gain any traction and I don't really see that happening any time soon.
I cant even copy and paste anymore. unless I'm on explorer. I tried everyway shown on you tube. In no way am I good at this. BUT I do remember dial up.LOL I hate it. windows 10.
Okay........ Don't know what you're doing wrong but I have no problems cutting and pasting in any browser on my Win 10 machine, never have had that problem. Do you use keyboard shortcuts to copy and paste or do you use your mouse?
Granted I rarely go online in Win 10 as I have my Linux machine which is my daily workhorse computer, the Windows 10 machine is primarily for playing games.
As for Win 10 I despised it when it first came out, even went back to Win 7 until recently. The biggest issue for me was Win 10 wasn't Win 7 and I suspect that's your problem with it. While Win 10 has it's issues it's actually better than Win 7 was in a lot of ways.
I use my mouse. On 7 I used to did it. turn it blue, let off like a free bird.

Had something unusual to me this morning when I woke up my Dell desktop/mini-tower system. When I logged in, it did not come up to my standard desktop. It came up under Microsoft Edge, on a Bing search engine page, which I quickly closed, and got out of Edge back to my desktop. I do not knowingly use Edge as a rule. I use Firefox as my browser and DuckDuckGo as my automatic preferred search engine, coming up to a DDG blank search page when logging into Firefox. I have a habit when getting off the internet when finished, of closing all tabs, going to my opening DDG search page, clicking to close Firefox, and the running a quick Ccleaner wipe, closing Ccleaner and letting the system go to sleep, usually not tuning it off.

This evening, got around to looking at event viewer events to see if I could understand how the morning's surprise wake up occurred. Saw the usual laundry list of security successful security audits during the day, including my logon around 8:43AM. i also saw a tremendous amount logons, special logon, special privileges extended, Windows activations, user account privileges changes. I might have been asleep, but I don't think this thing got any damn sleep, even Norton got in on the act.

Is this due to some automatic update setting I clicked or failed to un-click? Only had this thing 3 weeks, but do not remember a notice of "You have new updates" or "your computer has been updated" except when installing some software. I can understand it doing things while updating, depending on what is updating but I never let computers update on their own before except government or corporate computer for the IT geeks to tinker with at night. Whatever it was doing generated 129 megabytes of files from Edge and Internet Explorer as well a Explorer on the the system, some with my user logon identity. I can brows or read on the board for several hours and not generate more the 12 to16 meg of temp files. New to me because I haven't sat in a computer class since late 90s or very early 2000s.

So what? Blow it off as the way things work and has to be for it to keep working or does this indicate a computer security issue?
The problem here is could be a number of things including (but not necessarily) your computer being hijacked, turned into a bot. If someone hacked your wifi it's quite possible. Ya might want to consider changing your local network password. Is your router security set for WPA2?
As for Edge being open, what page/site was it on? Some programs will only access Edge to update regardless of which browser is set as preferred. I know my Windows gamer just updated yesterday with the new May (Version 2004).
Here's some info on the new update:
What’s New in Windows 10’s May 2020 Update, Arriving Soon
Yep. WPA2-personal. Not sure god could get that password as it about 23 characters, letters caps, special characters, not even keyboard patterns (which I loved back when I worked for a living. I can't talk to that thing unless I pull out the password book. Guest account is far easier, but guest cannot access much or even download. Do you let windows automatically update anything it wants on 10, as I never did in 7 or XP for that matter, space was a problem and sometime preferring to select which ones I needed based on what I wanted to be able to do Which, now that I'm retired isn't that much.
Edge was on a Bing search page, nothing highlighted, don't remember what all was on it. Just thought WTF? got out, Ccleaned, shut down to cold, restarted and everything was hunky dory. Suspect it was mostly an update thing. Saw your other post. Will check out Winaero Tweaker. Thanks for responding to question.
Win 10 updates automatically, no more personal choice there however it appears they are giving us more control over things like driver updates. Oh and when you go to Winaero they also have the old Windows 7 games for Win 8 and 10.
Edge is now Edge Chromium so what happened there might have been Edge browser updating. However the previous security update Microsuxs screwed up all Chrome and Chromium sandboxes, disabled them....... Their fix is apparently causing some people to lose files........ Win 10 is why I have two desktops, my Windows gamer and my Linux workhorse, both are home builds.
Winaero Tweaker is pretty comprehensive, gives you a lot of control over your system.
If somebody, like myself hasn't kept up as new systems became "the" thing, not "the new thing" there is quite a bit to pick up on in 10. Since I have the time and interest, think I'll sit a course at Jackson State, possibly as low as Intro to Micro, since I can do so for free as long as not seeking another degree, and I pick up better in a structured course when I just don't know, what all I don't know. Just have to look at current catalog. See what they got.
Win 10 has a bit of a learning curve if you're coming from Win 7 and especially coming from XP. Win 10 is supposedly the last Microsoft operating system, instead of new ones they simply do version (feature) updates every 6 months, cumulative updates once a month and definition updates supposedly as often as needed per day.
I also forgot, you can buy and install StartisBack for $4, it will replace the new start menu letting you choose an XP, Win 7 or Win 10 menu.
Found most of the answer in the online forums. May update was first significant update since I got the system. When it updated, it gave me an irritant some discovered since an update on 10, sometime in 2017, automatically starting edge on start up or logon. If no search engine has been designated, it automatically comes up in Bing on it's own (go figure). Showed me the settings to change and 9 step by step instructions so it does not run Edge browser on start up / logon and saves resources, not that I am worried about resources with this much ram and processor speed. I just want to be in control of my computer, not Microsoft. This also keeps Cortana at bay, as I am uncomfortable having a computer voice interface started without my knowledge. I don't mean to sound paranoid. If I am, at least I am not violently paranoid, so, it's all good!
I absolutely Hate windows 10. Coming from 7. Every morning I wake up to some foolish nonsense. I cant stand edge, so I use explorer and chrome. switch back and forth. Notices.. this that. now I have activate windows. so I tried that. Caught a virus. Had to get rid of that. Couldn't find the product key. Tried changing that. Right now I have FIVE computers. Because every time something went wrong, I went and got another used computer. Plugged in all over the house. I turn them on, off, babysit them. Like having 5 sick kids. blaa. why do they keep making things worse. 7 was great. No issues what so ever.
I am learning some ins and out and expectations of Windows 10 until it burps unexpectedly, not doing something new, but new to me as coming from7 Home Premium. I never purposely use Internet Explorer, as it it the oldest mainline browser on the market and most targeted by every nefarious jerk knowing how to more easily attack known vulnerabilities. I use Fire Fox as a more secure browser with a more easily accessible security settings. I do not use Google as Google is the most pervasive tracking info sharing search engine in the business, is entirely too large as an organization, and I basically regard it as the great Satan. I don't go there. Duck Duck Go serves my needs, is fast and effective. I do no formal research anymore, if I did I would probably go back with LexisNexis as the last time I was in college in the early 2000s, but they sell entirely to much user data reports also. DDG gives another layer of security and I believe takes my rights to privacy more serious. I stay off the dark web. I keep paid and unpaid security and cleaning processes on my system, active or dormant until needed. I maintain complete backup onto a drive not online with the system (and not in the cloud) and more than one login with Administrator privileges, both tactics have allowed me to defeat ransom ware and some other intrusions when my personal user account was compromised and the my main antivirus did not deal with it completely back in the old days. I avoid the the cloud as much a possible, preferring system and offline in house storage, figuring my data is my data. On all previous systems I have kept a boot disk that would come up in safe mode to a security system on the disk, not on the system, but have not on this Windows 10 system. Updates are important. Windows 10 seems to handle this better than any other system I have used, but I also have Belarc Advisor even on this system to look at the system and advise of problems or vulnerabilities. Back on my old system, it would link me directly to updates in the catalog that were no longer suggested or available from Microsoft's standard Microsoft update and give me a security Benchmark score and how to go about improving it, whether I always chose to implement the change or not, depending on how much it might impact normal operation as I judged appropriate. My router is fairly modern and has ram and processing that can and has been loaded with additional security beyond what came on it by my long time close friend and totally trusted geek, who ran his own computer consulting/security business, called Divined Intervention before his tragic murder, 5 years ago, standing up to protect someone who could not, because he was the only one available at the time that could. I don;t want him looking down, saying "Damn dude, I taught you better than this. Work the problem, read the forums, talk to people, use good software, take control of your system dude, you ain't just a user".
Now that Edge is built on Chromium it's a whole new game for Microsoft in the browser world. This isn't saying people are flocking to it or that they should. Unless Microsoft continues to do stupid things like they just recently did, (disable the sandbox in Chomium, Chrome with an update) Their new browser will be as secure as everyone elses. It's Microsoft so the privacy aspect of the browser is well, Microsoft......... However is is apparently more private than Chrome, something that's hard to believe but then again that's not saying much. I think Bing is still the primary search engine but one can now use many Chrome Extensions though the ability to do so has to be selected in settings, it's not automatic.
Microsoft will have to overcome it's past highly negative reputation with Explorer and Edge to gain any traction and I don't really see that happening any time soon.
I cant even copy and paste anymore. unless I'm on explorer. I tried everyway shown on you tube. In no way am I good at this. BUT I do remember dial up.LOL I hate it. windows 10.
Okay........ Don't know what you're doing wrong but I have no problems cutting and pasting in any browser on my Win 10 machine, never have had that problem. Do you use keyboard shortcuts to copy and paste or do you use your mouse?
Granted I rarely go online in Win 10 as I have my Linux machine which is my daily workhorse computer, the Windows 10 machine is primarily for playing games.
As for Win 10 I despised it when it first came out, even went back to Win 7 until recently. The biggest issue for me was Win 10 wasn't Win 7 and I suspect that's your problem with it. While Win 10 has it's issues it's actually better than Win 7 was in a lot of ways.
I use my mouse. On 7 I used to did it. turn it blue, let off like a free bird.
You're the first person I've ever seen with this problem. Do you ever shut off your computer or do you just put it to sleep? If you've never shut it off or rebooted something could be locked up causing the problem. Try rebooting and if that doesn't fix it you may need to restart explorer.exe in Task Manager. It's not hard to do, I can provide a link that shows you how.

Forum List

Back