For the Musicians here:

GMCGeneral

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2020
For me to know and you not to find out.
P Basses.jpg
What was your very first influence? Or more precisely, what got you into music in the first place? For me, my dad. Although he doesn't play out anymore, he was lead guitarist for a couple of local C&W bands when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s. During the 70s it was a local band named "The Vanishing Breed" which also had my Godfather on Bass. On the right is his 1970 Precision next to my 2011. That's right, my Godfather, or more specifically his bass, is what got me interested in bass to begin with. Now some 39 years later since I started as a Freshman in HS, I am still playing.

My Uncle Billy played the sax, and Billy was cool squared, so I wanted to be cool squared, too.

You can imagine my dismay when, in the 4th grade, I told them I wanted to play saxophone and they handed me a clarinet. The reasoning was that the fingerings are identical, and it's easier to learn clarinet than sax, simply due to the size of the instrument and the amount of air you had to move through it to make a sound. I finally got the sax in the 5th grade...

Last edited:
View attachment 509293What was your very first influence? Or more precisely, what got you into music in the first place? For me, my dad. Although he doesn't play out anymore, he was lead guitarist for a couple of local C&W bands when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s. During the 70s it was a local band named "The Vanishing Breed" which also had my Godfather on Bass. On the right is his 1970 Precision next to my 2011. That's right, my Godfather, or more specifically his bass, is what got me interested in bass to begin with. Now some 39 years later since I started as a Freshman in HS, I am still playing.
That '70 P-Bass is worth some coin. There's a '71 listed on Reverb for right around $6,100...

View attachment 509293What was your very first influence? Or more precisely, what got you into music in the first place? For me, my dad. Although he doesn't play out anymore, he was lead guitarist for a couple of local C&W bands when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s. During the 70s it was a local band named "The Vanishing Breed" which also had my Godfather on Bass. On the right is his 1970 Precision next to my 2011. That's right, my Godfather, or more specifically his bass, is what got me interested in bass to begin with. Now some 39 years later since I started as a Freshman in HS, I am still playing.
That '70 P-Bass is worth some coin. There's a '71 listed on Reverb for right around $6,100...
Well, it's not in my permanent possession at this time. I only have it because I'm working on it (setup, etc.) so he'll have it back. That being said, if and/or when I do get it, I'm not planning on selling it. It's going to be part of my arsenal that includes my main player (pictured) and my Player Series Fretless Jazz (Not pictured)

Canon Shooter And he was right. I actually started on trumpet myself, started on bass a couple months later. During the Summer of 1983, I started learning upright the RIGHT way (Simandl) and was switching from trumpet to tuba. I had actually switched to Tuba before the end of my Freshman year, but was on Eb. My band director wanted me on BBb. Same clef as bass, but notated an octave below.

Well, it's not in my permanent possession at this time. I only have it because I'm working on it (setup, etc.) so he'll have it back. That being said, if and/or when I do get it, I'm not planning on selling it. It's going to be part of my arsenal that includes my main player (pictured) and my Player Series Fretless Jazz (Not pictured)

I sold a 1960 Sunburst for $11,800 a couple of years ago. It's insane what the prices have done. I think I paid $600 for it back in the mid 1980's...

I sold a 1960 Sunburst for $11,800 a couple of years ago. It's insane what the prices have done. I think I paid $600 for it back in the mid 1980's...
I was up in Cherry Hill, NJ back in 2015 and the GC had a MINT condition 68 Jazz. Covers were present and the nickel plating had not come off the tuners. 6 Grand.

I was up in Cherry Hill, NJ back in 2015 and the GC had a MINT condition 68 Jazz. Covers were present and the nickel plating had not come off the tuners. 6 Grand.

Yeah, prices started to get crazy in the early to mid 90's. I made some good investments and some solid turns, but there are still those guitars out there which defy logic. A'59 Les Paul Burst can fetch $300,000 or $400,000 today...

For me, it was The Ed Sullivan show.

First it was Louis Armstrong. I thought “wow! That guy looks like he’s having a great time, I’m going to try that!”

Then it was The Beatles and all of the girls screaming for them. I thought “wow! I gotta try that”.

Been hacking away at both (trumpet and guitar) ever since.

This was painful to see. Anyone know why they did this ?

The Firebird X was probably the single worst electric guitar Gibson ever produced. Henry Juskiewicz, the CEO of Gibson, expected them to be the second coming of Christ as far as guitars go, and they just weren't. It featured automatic tuning, onboard digital effects and, well, just about nothing that a Gibson Firebird fan would want in a Gibson Firebird. When the guitars were introduced at the NAMM Show in Anaheim, Gibson took orders for less than 700 of them. Many dealers didn't want them and, when Henry tried to strong-arm them into taking them or losing the Gibson line, the dealers gave up the line. Henry always thought he had a flair for drama, so he set up this little fiasco where the guitars were crushed...

The Firebird X was probably the single worst electric guitar Gibson ever produced. Henry Juskiewicz, the CEO of Gibson, expected them to be the second coming of Christ as far as guitars go, and they just weren't. It featured automatic tuning, onboard digital effects and, well, just about nothing that a Gibson Firebird fan would want in a Gibson Firebird. When the guitars were introduced at the NAMM Show in Anaheim, Gibson took orders for less than 700 of them. Many dealers didn't want them and, when Henry tried to strong-arm them into taking them or losing the Gibson line, the dealers gave up the line. Henry always thought he had a flair for drama, so he set up this little fiasco where the guitars were crushed...

Interesting. I love the price on this.....
$20,999 ( + $65 shipping & handling. )

Dale Smith plays bass too. (USMB member)

To answer your question, in the early 70's the first 45 record that I would play over and over was Free Ride by the Edgar Winter Group around 1972 -- I was 11 ....Mom took me to see Santana the following year, and a bunch of other outdoor concerts --- James Taylor, Carole King, Three Dog Night, America, the Carpenters....First albums were Rush, Montrose and ELP Brain Salad......first concert with friends was Blue Oyster Cult in Akron, Ohio - 1975. ( many to follow - way too many to list, Rush 6 times, Zeppelin, Genesis, Yes, Heart, The Who, Jethro Tull....)Those were my early influences along with Soul Train and American Bandstand on Sat mngs and Cleveland had some good radio stations. We had an upright piano and acoustic guitar but I never was too interested until the first albums I bought - Montrose had the coolest riffs I thought. Woodstock, James Gang and Steppenwolf records mom had.

Never even bought an electric guitar until my late 20's and
just fiddled around with it as a hobby for a long time, something I regret, but it's better than the alternative - not being alive to regret it.
Now, I fucking live to play every day at least 2 hours normally- off and on.. My wife thinks I love my guitars more than I do her.:71:

Interesting. I love the price on this.....
$20,999 ( + $65 shipping & handling. )

A true example of someone believing that, if something is rare, it has to be valuable. That's just not the case...

Hank Williams, Johnny Horton, Johnny Cash records my dad played. Listening to Elvis, Buddy Holly, etc on the radio, then the Beatles on TV. Then at the age of 17 discovered the blues and Dylan. Bought me a guitar, became a professional bass player, played the bars and small venues. My son's band has opened for some names like George Jones, Meryl Haggard, Brad Paisley, BR549, Asleep at the Wheel, Marty Stuart.

Forum List

Back