For Better or Worse, Coronavirus Puts Cyber Charters in the Spotlight

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The extended shutdown of most K-12 schools nationwide is putting cyber charter schools in a spotlight few could have imagined before the coronavirus outbreak. But that attention could come with good and bad consequences.

Several of the most prominent online school providers in the country have seen a surge of interest from parents looking to enroll their students for the rest of the school year. Cyber charter teachers and administrators have been sharing the expertise they’ve honed over years with educators struggling to hastily throw together remote learning strategies. And free online learning platforms and resources abound for regular schools, at least for the moment, from providers that typically charge.

“In an ideal world, if I was a school leader in a brick and mortar school, and I had to close for a month, having the ability to access tools that I need to do that, but yet still use my own teachers to help facilitate the students getting through that online content—that would be a wonderful marriage,” said Michael K. Barbour, an education professor at Touro University California and an expert on virtual learning.

The great many of them are not worth a damn.

The extended shutdown of most K-12 schools nationwide is putting cyber charter schools in a spotlight few could have imagined before the coronavirus outbreak. But that attention could come with good and bad consequences.

Several of the most prominent online school providers in the country have seen a surge of interest from parents looking to enroll their students for the rest of the school year. Cyber charter teachers and administrators have been sharing the expertise they’ve honed over years with educators struggling to hastily throw together remote learning strategies. And free online learning platforms and resources abound for regular schools, at least for the moment, from providers that typically charge.

“In an ideal world, if I was a school leader in a brick and mortar school, and I had to close for a month, having the ability to access tools that I need to do that, but yet still use my own teachers to help facilitate the students getting through that online content—that would be a wonderful marriage,” said Michael K. Barbour, an education professor at Touro University California and an expert on virtual learning.

Which brings to question of after decades of "planning" and billions invested in all these strategic agencies, why isn't there still the most BASIC systems in place to school kids from home over the internet that every person has, and the basic warehousing and plans in place to keep As many government agencies working and essentially operations operating?

CASE IN POINT:

They closed my liquor store three weeks ago out of "an abundance of caution" state wide even when the nearest Covid case wasn't within 200 miles, despite the fact that wine is an essential part of many people's meals and hard liquor is needed by many people for stress, sleep and other things at a time when stress is at its highest?

Why couldn't the stores simply switch over to selling by phone order only, taking your CC number and giving you a 5 digit code and limiting you to one or two bottles. When your order is ready, they call you up and you come to the door, give you code, they hand you the bag and you are on your way. Virtually no contact. Even better if they had a drive through window (heavens forbid). You could safely deal with lepers that way!

There isn't the SLIGHTEST EFFORT to plan for much less provide for the needs of the individual: everything they have done is out of prurient interest for THEMSELVES. That is because government isn't a "for profit" organization. They get or keep the same money no matter how badly they are run.

Which brings to question of after decades of "planning" and billions invested in all these strategic agencies, why isn't there still the most BASIC systems in place to school kids from home over the internet that every person has, and the basic warehousing and plans in place to keep As many government agencies working and essentially operations operating?

CASE IN POINT:

They closed my liquor store three weeks ago out of "an abundance of caution" state wide even when the nearest Covid case wasn't within 200 miles, despite the fact that wine is an essential part of many people's meals and hard liquor is needed by many people for stress, sleep and other things at a time when stress is at its highest?

Why couldn't the stores simply switch over to selling by phone order only, taking your CC number and giving you a 5 digit code and limiting you to one or two bottles. When your order is ready, they call you up and you come to the door, give you code, they hand you the bag and you are on your way. Virtually no contact. Even better if they had a drive through window (heavens forbid). You could safely deal with lepers that way!

There isn't the SLIGHTEST EFFORT to plan for much less provide for the needs of the individual: everything they have done is out of prurient interest for THEMSELVES. That is because government isn't a "for profit" organization. They get or keep the same money no matter how badly they are run.
I saw one place where their dog brings the wine to the people at the curb.
We have alcohol that can be delivered in Florida.

~S~

Forum List

Back