Flying the US Flag Upside Down

/----/ Of course libtard moonbats think conservatives are wrong on the issues. Brilliant deduction. Ask mommy for some ice cream

Not a one of them grasped what I was saying..jyst kneejerk reactionary BS typical of a left tard
You raised an essentially hermeneutic issue, one dealt with at length by A.J. Ayer in his seminal work, "Language, Truth, and Logic." It is also a linguistic issue insofar as the meanings of words and acts can be said to change with common use. Constitutional scholars discuss this question at length when confronted with the question of whether the Constitution is a static document or subject to current and common understandings. I would assume you would take the latter view of the Constitution, that the current and common understanding controls in questions of interpretation.

I said some use it to symbolize a nation in distress. Do they or do they not?

Save the blather and answer. Yes or no

Just ask the twins what my post means. They will tell you I am actually agreeing with you.

They'd laugh at you...they would recognize back pedaling and face saving attempts

Look, I mean no disrespect, but you're really punching out of your weight class here. You are saying A and I am saying B. Both A and B are true. You are taking the position that B cannot be true, and that anyone who believes B is incorrect, stupid, etc. And I am saying A and B are true. You are interpreting that, for your own psychological reasons, to mean that since A is true, B cannot be true.

A = some people fly the flag upside down to mean the nation is in peril.
B = some people fly the flag upside down only to mean that the fort (their military position) is in peril.

You have a need to interpret this to mean that you've won some sort of a prize, so be it. It just shows your intellectual paucity. Again, no offense intended. It is what it is.

Not a one of them grasped what I was saying..jyst kneejerk reactionary BS typical of a left tard
You raised an essentially hermeneutic issue, one dealt with at length by A.J. Ayer in his seminal work, "Language, Truth, and Logic." It is also a linguistic issue insofar as the meanings of words and acts can be said to change with common use. Constitutional scholars discuss this question at length when confronted with the question of whether the Constitution is a static document or subject to current and common understandings. I would assume you would take the latter view of the Constitution, that the current and common understanding controls in questions of interpretation.

Just ask the twins what my post means. They will tell you I am actually agreeing with you.

They'd laugh at you...they would recognize back pedaling and face saving attempts

Look, I mean no disrespect, but you're really punching out of your weight class here. You are saying A and I am saying B. Both A and B are true. You are taking the position that B cannot be true, and that anyone who believes B is incorrect, stupid, etc. And I am saying A and B are true. You are interpreting that, for your own psychological reasons, to mean that since A is true, B cannot be true.

B = some people fly the flag upside down only to mean that the fort (their military position) is in peril.

You have a need to interpret this to mean that you've won some sort of a prize, so be it. It just shows your intellectual paucity. Again, no offense intended. It is what it is.

You're two laps down thinking you're leading the pack little dude.

Now did you or did you not say my father was wrong? Why yes, yes you did.

You schlonged yourself, pal

Yeah, it's what we do best. I guess that's why we are going all over America destroying statues--because it's what we do best......
You people have it all in a political sense but you still cannot do a damned thing except whine. As to the memorials we are again talking about symbols vs. what those symbols mean. If those memorials to the confederacy ever meant anything positive it has been erased by the relative few who still treasure them. In the here and now those old memorials mean nothing more than what those who want to keep them around want them to mean. Think what the swastika used to mean before the nazis, it is now irretrievably a symbol of evil rather than the good luck symbol it used to be.

Back to the topic. What does the flag mean to many these days simply because horrible people are wrapping their fascism in it?

Oh, I see. So what you're saying is that confederate solder statues and the confederate flag have a meaning to people, but the United States flag does not?

The confederate flag cannot be used to express ones freedom of speech but the US flag can?

Sorry, but that's total hypocrisy. If symbols are merely articles and should be ignored, then it should apply to all. It should not apply only to the left and what they deem offensive.
Nobody is restricting you from waving the confederate flag
You just can't force the government to do it

Oh please, people have been attacked by the left for waiving the confederate flag. Local governments have removed them because the snowflakes got upset. Even Walmart quit selling them. Don't tell me nobody is restricted.
As a citizen, I am free to criticize you if you fly the traitorous racist flag

And as a citizen, I have the right to criticize you as an anti-American by disrespecting our flag. However criticism is not what I was talking about here.

I didn't read all the posts here, but I remember from the Navy that flying a flag upside down meant ship in distress. We're supposed to respect the flag, not let it touch the ground, and if it's torn or worn out, to be replaced. If we flew it upside down every time we didn't agree with what's going on in our country, the flag would never be flown upright.

Indeed. I disagree with him. Militarily, he is dead wrong.

I am more concerned about you now, than the issue itself. You appear to have raised ignorance and insecurity to the level of principle. My heart really goes out to you, particularly the twins, as it appears you are teaching them your own talent for laughing at things that you simply do not understand. You are among the few who are justified in flying the flag upside down over your house. Good luck, and I mean that sincerely.

I am more concerned about you now, than the issue itself. You appear to have raised ignorance and insecurity to the level of principle. My heart really goes out to you, particularly the twins, as it appears you are teaching them your own talent for laughing at things that you simply do not understand. You are among the few who are justified in flying the flag upside down over your house. Good luck, and I mean that sincerely.

I never justfied it you dumb downed stupid son of a bitch.

THAT is where you have failed, you assumed something.

Get lost

It's bad enough for an enemy, but what could be more disgusting than a US Citizen disparaging the very flag that keeps him free?

That's kind of the problem. They want to be the enemy of the USA.

Well, they ARE still a US Citizen. But I understand your sentiment. That is why I suggested the 30 days fist offense. Let's just say you didn't know better and were mislead. But do it again, you can't claim ignorance. This stuff HAS to be taken seriously. Just like the cute girl who has the Fuck You Trump sign. We keep giving them the benefit of the doubt, we keep arguing freedom, diversity, rights, and now we are OVERRUN with America hating scum! You know this because they never stand up with an honest idea for improving anything, helping, other than spitting bile and hatred for other people and for America and its history, as if any country were ever perfect or that the USA was even in the top 10.

You can only go so far; we are turning loose an entire generation taught that America is bad and how they hate it and want to riot and burn. You don't see this in South Korea, you don't see such malfeasance in Japan. They are brought up to love and respect family and country. But here, they turn loose a band of organized thugs and terrorists, call them the Anti-Fascists, and announce they are part of "The American Way?"

We are becoming an embarrassment to the world. Not Trump. Us. Maybe for letting our politicians run the country so far down that we NEED a guy like Trump in the first place.

This is nothing less than sedition. Not the military, not the vets, not the gun-owners, not the true patriots; these people need watched, too many become homegrown terrorists under the guise of rebels, rioters, reporters, anarchists, some even hide as university professors. Are these the people to run the country in the next 10-20 years? They need treated SERIOUSLY, this is becoming asignificant fraction of the population. If they have so little regard for our flag but CONTEMPT, what might they do next? Every serial killing they say, why didn't anyone notice the warning signs?

Well, THIS IS A WARNING SIGN, just what has America done to these people to be so angry? I mean WTF! These people need to GET A LIFE. I don't care that some of them might grow out of it; make a habit of burning the flag, holding upside down, trampling it, that shouldn't be a right, that is some serious hate there. Bad wiring. They should go live elsewhere. Best you leave the country with nothing but the shirt on your back.

WE DON'T WANT YOU.

Personally, I'd like maybe for some of them to be tied to a pole while 30 or 50 soldiers filed by first and bitch slapped them hard for insulting the flag, the nation and the service. The worst ones shot dead before a firing squad if need be. The LAST THING I want to see is a fascist state where we fear the government for everything we say and do, but SOMETHING intelligent has to be done, some middle ground. Some line you do not cross.

I am just SO TIRED of the constant coddling and babying of all these assholes.

Same goes for politicians and public officials. Far too many of them are lying and cheating their way into office and they NEVER LEAVE. They get rich stealing from the taxpayer. There has to be limits in ALL offices, and there has to be high standards of ACCOUNTABILITY with serious consequences. Lots lots more accountability.

What about if the flag is flown sideways. Or cut up and worn as clothing. Or used as advertising for a president's day sale.

What about if the flag is flown sideways. Or cut up and worn as clothing. Or used as advertising for a president's day sale.
Straw men. In the military, flying the flag upside down has a discreet meaning. A very powerful one. I don't advocate that people shouldn't have the right to us this symbol so inappropriately, nevertheless I am incredibly angry that they use this military signal so incorrectly. Their right to do it, my right to react.

Be offended all you want, It's what conservatives do best.

Yeah, it's what we do best. I guess that's why we are going all over America destroying statues--because it's what we do best......
You people have it all in a political sense but you still cannot do a damned thing except whine. As to the memorials we are again talking about symbols vs. what those symbols mean. If those memorials to the confederacy ever meant anything positive it has been erased by the relative few who still treasure them. In the here and now those old memorials mean nothing more than what those who want to keep them around want them to mean. Think what the swastika used to mean before the nazis, it is now irretrievably a symbol of evil rather than the good luck symbol it used to be.

Back to the topic. What does the flag mean to many these days simply because horrible people are wrapping their fascism in it?

Oh, I see. So what you're saying is that confederate solder statues and the confederate flag have a meaning to people, but the United States flag does not?

The confederate flag cannot be used to express ones freedom of speech but the US flag can?

Sorry, but that's total hypocrisy. If symbols are merely articles and should be ignored, then it should apply to all. It should not apply only to the left and what they deem offensive.
As always you read what I clearly say and then apply your own meaning. In no sense is the confederate flag a widely accepted symbol fit to be flown on our public buildings and public spaces. Put that shit all over your truck, house, shirts and tattoo it on your face for all I care but when most either want that shit gone or don't care one way or another it is time to shitcan that confederate bullshit and put something there that more closely matches our values today.

As to the meaning of the American flag, if you people had your way it would end up right beside the swastika and the confederate flag as a symbol of horror and hate. Decent people are not going to let you fascist fuckers drag our country down that road.

Personally, I'd like maybe for some of them to be tied to a pole while 30 or 50 soldiers filed by first and bitch slapped them hard for insulting the flag, the nation and the service. The worst ones shot dead before a firing squad if need be.

You think a bunch of elderly protesters should be assaulted by dozens of soldiers, or shot dead?

What if the person flying the flag upside-down is a vet, what do you do then? ;)

Get lost

My heavens you are obtuse. Obtuse and angry. Really, I mean this sincerely, best of luck to you.

Flying the US flag upside down symbolizes the nation is in distress. It's nothing new and both sides do it
No that's not what it means to a military man. It is a very special display. Not to be coopted to "symbolize the nation in distress." Anyone in the military would tell you that, I think.
Then tell us what it means to anyone in the Military! Don't be shy tell us

Get lost

My heavens you are obtuse. Obtuse and angry. Really, I mean this sincerely, best of luck to you.

My heavens you're stupid. You still don't grasp it window licker

Nobody is restricting you from waving the confederate flag
You just can't force the government to do it

Oh please, people have been attacked by the left for waiving the confederate flag. Local governments have removed them because the snowflakes got upset. Even Walmart quit selling them. Don't tell me nobody is restricted.
As a citizen, I am free to criticize you if you fly the traitorous racist flag
True.

And such criticism in no manner ‘infringes’ on ‘free speech.’

It also doesn’t have a ‘chilling effect’ on speech, it doesn’t ‘restrict’ speech, and it does not ‘undermine’ speech.

Flying the US flag upside down symbolizes the nation is in distress. It's nothing new and both sides do it
No that's not what it means to a military man. It is a very special display. Not to be coopted to "symbolize the nation in distress." Anyone in the military would tell you that, I think.
I already posted it like three times in this thread. Look above. It's written into the Federal Code.

I already posted it like three times in this thread. Look above. It's written into the Federal Code.
Distress is distress simple as that.

What about if the flag is flown sideways? Congratulations, so long as the union is to the upper left, you are fine.

Or cut up and worn as clothing? Congratulations, you are a 1960's hippie-patriot. Hold your tokes. Peace on.

Or used as advertising for a president's day sale? Congratulations, you are one of a million commercial merchants trying to make a buck.

As always you read what I clearly say and then apply your own meaning. In no sense is the confederate flag a widely accepted symbol fit to be flown on our public buildings and public spaces.

By who's judgement, the leftists? I guess leftists tell all of us what's acceptable and what is not. A lot of people down south think the confederate flag is an appropriate symbol. Been flying for decades and never bothered anybody until liberals decided on a new target. Same with the statues. When leftists feel it's offensive, then they must come down and to hell with the artwork or history. Forget everybody else's freedom of speech or freedom of expression, it's the commies that have the say-so in this country, isn't that right?

Put that shit all over your truck, house, shirts and tattoo it on your face for all I care but when most either want that shit gone or don't care one way or another it is time to shitcan that confederate bullshit and put something there that more closely matches our values today.

And what about most people that don't want flag burning or upside down flags, does that not match our values today? Tattoo this on your head: YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE! You believe that the only things that must stop are those that offend liberals and nobody else. If something offends people other than liberals, it's freedom of speech like our founders wanted and they are free to exercise that right no matter who it offends; as long as it doesn't offend liberals.

As to the meaning of the American flag, if you people had your way it would end up right beside the swastika and the confederate flag as a symbol of horror and hate. Decent people are not going to let you fascist fuckers drag our country down that road.

Liberals are not decent people, they are commies hiding behind the word Democrat. That's why the US Communist Party endorsed your last three presidential candidates plus Bernie Sanders.

Speaking of the flag, there is a growing acceptance of flying the flag upside down as a protest. This is reprehensible. For those of you who served in the military, you know that this has a very special meaning, and although I generally support pretty much any lawful and peaceful protest, the first time I saw this (2000 when Bush supporters in Palm Beach were clamoring outside of the vote count place some people were holding upside down flags) I nearly jumped out of my freaking chair.

Now it is more accepted as a protest against President Trump. I see it everywhere and it is incredibly irritating. I don't particularly care for the President, but flying the flag upside down is to me, a bridge too far. There is even a law about it, a federal law (more like a code of conduct, really). Why wasn't it enforced in 2000 and why is it not enforced now? Again, I'm all for free speech, but you don't have the right to scream "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater.

THE UNITED STATES FLAG CODE
Title 4, Chapter 1

§ 8(a)The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

What do you vets think?

Speaking of the flag, there is a growing acceptance of flying the flag upside down as a protest. This is reprehensible. For those of you who served in the military, you know that this has a very special meaning, and although I generally support pretty much any lawful and peaceful protest, the first time I saw this (2000 when Bush supporters in Palm Beach were clamoring outside of the vote count place some people were holding upside down flags) I nearly jumped out of my freaking chair.

Now it is more accepted as a protest against President Trump. I see it everywhere and it is incredibly irritating. I don't particularly care for the President, but flying the flag upside down is to me, a bridge too far. There is even a law about it, a federal law (more like a code of conduct, really). Why wasn't it enforced in 2000 and why is it not enforced now? Again, I'm all for free speech, but you don't have the right to scream "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater.

THE UNITED STATES FLAG CODE
Title 4, Chapter 1

§ 8(a)The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

What do you vets think?

This is a big nothing compared to Iran Contra. Or Trump for pardoning Sheriff Arpaio, for another example. That was interfering with justice. This flag incident? Much ado about nothing compared to what our criminal politicians get away with.

Forum List

Back