Flying the US Flag Upside Down

For the last 8 years, I saw a whole lot of "Conservatives" right here on this message board using an upside-down flag to protest Obama.

I haven't seen anyone here use it to protest Trump.

Just saying.

Speaking of the flag, there is a growing acceptance of flying the flag upside down as a protest. This is reprehensible. For those of you who served in the military, you know that this has a very special meaning, and although I generally support pretty much any lawful and peaceful protest, the first time I saw this (2000 when Bush supporters in Palm Beach were clamoring outside of the vote count place some people were holding upside down flags) I nearly jumped out of my freaking chair.

Now it is more accepted as a protest against President Trump. I see it everywhere and it is incredibly irritating. I don't particularly care for the President, but flying the flag upside down is to me, a bridge too far. There is even a law about it, a federal law (more like a code of conduct, really). Why wasn't it enforced in 2000 and why is it not enforced now? Again, I'm all for free speech, but you don't have the right to scream "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater.

THE UNITED STATES FLAG CODE
Title 4, Chapter 1

§ 8(a)The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

What do you vets think?
Speaking of the flag, there is a growing acceptance of flying the flag upside down as a protest. This is reprehensible. For those of you who served in the military, you know that this has a very special meaning, and although I generally support pretty much any lawful and peaceful protest, the first time I saw this (2000 when Bush supporters in Palm Beach were clamoring outside of the vote count place some people were holding upside down flags) I nearly jumped out of my freaking chair.

Now it is more accepted as a protest against President Trump. I see it everywhere and it is incredibly irritating. I don't particularly care for the President, but flying the flag upside down is to me, a bridge too far. There is even a law about it, a federal law (more like a code of conduct, really). Why wasn't it enforced in 2000 and why is it not enforced now? Again, I'm all for free speech, but you don't have the right to scream "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater.

Title 4, Chapter 1

§ 8(a)The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

What do you vets think?
/----/ My guess is those pieces of shit never fly the flag the correct way on their front porch.

For the last 8 years, I saw a whole lot of "Conservatives" right here on this message board using an upside-down flag to protest Obama.

Just saying.

Link? I doubt it.

Of course you "doubt it" - your capacity for selective memory is well known.

Most of the references were in signatures or avatars, and those posters have since changed them. But there are threads on it.

Upside down flag..
Man protests obama with upside down flag

There are more, if you want to search for them.

Title 4, Chapter 1

What do you vets think?
“This is reprehensible.”

In your subjective, errant opinion.

Otherwise it’s appropriate free expression, not ‘reprehensible.’

‘Again, I'm all for free speech, but you don't have the right to scream "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater.’

Apparently you’re not for free speech, given the fact that flying the flag upside down is protected speech, as is burning the flag.

Shouting ‘fire’ in a crowded theater is not protected speech, prohibiting citizens from doing so is a warranted First Amendment restriction.

Just saying.

Link? I doubt it.

Most of the references were in signatures or avatars, and those posters have since changed them. But there are threads on it.

Upside down flag..

Just saying.

Link? I doubt it.

Upside down flag..

/----/ Then the one guy in Oregon was as wrong as the Libtards,

Flying the US flag upside down symbolizes the nation is in distress. It's nothing new and both sides do it
No that's not what it means to a military man. It is a very special display. Not to be coopted to "symbolize the nation in distress." Anyone in the military would tell you that, I think.

It's what it symbolizes, always has. My father a 26 year vetetan of the US Navy taught me that
Your father was taught differently than I.

ITHE UNITED STATES FLAG CODE
Title 4, Chapter 1

Gawd you're stupid. It also symbolizes a nation in distress.
Sounds like we disagree. That leaves you with nothing but your typical liberal tactic of name calling. I can accept that we have a different view of this. You need anyone who disagrees with you to be wrong. That's not American, that's a liberal tactic.
Telling conservatives they’re wrong is not a ‘liberal tactic’ – it’s acknowledging the fact that conservatives are consistently wrong on the issues.

No that's not what it means to a military man. It is a very special display. Not to be coopted to "symbolize the nation in distress." Anyone in the military would tell you that, I think.

It's what it symbolizes, always has. My father a 26 year vetetan of the US Navy taught me that

Title 4, Chapter 1

Sounds like we disagree. That leaves you with nothing but your typical liberal tactic of name calling. I can accept that we have a different view of this. You need anyone who disagrees with you to be wrong. That's not American, that's a liberal tactic.
Telling conservatives they’re wrong is not a ‘liberal tactic’ – it’s acknowledging the fact that conservatives are consistently wrong on the issues.

Where was I wrong? Have individuals flown it to symbolize the nation is in distress?

It's a yes or no.

Game, set and match.

Apparently you’re not for free speech, given the fact that flying the flag upside down is protected speech, as is burning the flag.

Oh, so since you are such a free speech person, you are against the removal of the confederate flag from places around the country and the tearing down of confederate statues?

Title 4, Chapter 1

What do you vets think?
“This is reprehensible.”

In your subjective, errant opinion.

Otherwise it’s appropriate free expression, not ‘reprehensible.’

‘Again, I'm all for free speech, but you don't have the right to scream "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater.’

Shouting ‘fire’ in a crowded theater is not protected speech, prohibiting citizens from doing so is a warranted First Amendment restriction.

Incorrect. I support their right to do it. I have a right to hate it. It is a very very special meaning in the military and it is horrible to see it used as protest. But I also understand their right to do it. I just hate it.

Title 4, Chapter 1

/----/ Of course libtard moonbats think conservatives are wrong on the issues. Brilliant deduction. Ask mommy for some ice cream

Title 4, Chapter 1

/----/ Of course libtard moonbats think conservatives are wrong on the issues. Brilliant deduction. Ask mommy for some ice cream

Not a one of them grasped what I was saying..just kneejerk reactionary BS typical of a left tard

Title 4, Chapter 1

Not a one of them grasped what I was saying..jyst kneejerk reactionary BS typical of a left tard
You raised an essentially hermeneutic issue, one dealt with at length by A.J. Ayer in his seminal work, "Language, Truth, and Logic." It is also a linguistic issue insofar as the meanings of words and acts can be said to change with common use. Constitutional scholars discuss this question at length when confronted with the question of whether the Constitution is a static document or subject to current and common understandings. I would assume you would take the latter view of the Constitution, that the current and common understanding controls in questions of interpretation.

Not a one of them grasped what I was saying..jyst kneejerk reactionary BS typical of a left tard
You raised an essentially hermeneutic issue, one dealt with at length by A.J. Ayer in his seminal work, "Language, Truth, and Logic." It is also a linguistic issue insofar as the meanings of words and acts can be said to change with common use. Constitutional scholars discuss this question at length when confronted with the question of whether the Constitution is a static document or subject to current and common understandings. I would assume you would take the latter view of the Constitution, that the current and common understanding controls in questions of interpretation.

I said some use it to symbolize a nation in distress. Do they or do they not?

Save the blather and answer. Yes or no

Just ask the twins what my post means. They will tell you I am actually agreeing with you. Some people do use the flag upside down incorrectly from its military intention. That doesn't mean it's right or wrong, just different.

Just ask the twins what my post means. They will tell you I am actually agreeing with you.

They'd laugh at you...they would recognize back pedaling and face saving attempts

Be offended all you want, It's what conservatives do best.

Yeah, it's what we do best. I guess that's why we are going all over America destroying statues--because it's what we do best......
You people have it all in a political sense but you still cannot do a damned thing except whine. As to the memorials we are again talking about symbols vs. what those symbols mean. If those memorials to the confederacy ever meant anything positive it has been erased by the relative few who still treasure them. In the here and now those old memorials mean nothing more than what those who want to keep them around want them to mean. Think what the swastika used to mean before the nazis, it is now irretrievably a symbol of evil rather than the good luck symbol it used to be.

Back to the topic. What does the flag mean to many these days simply because horrible people are wrapping their fascism in it?

Oh, I see. So what you're saying is that confederate solder statues and the confederate flag have a meaning to people, but the United States flag does not?

The confederate flag cannot be used to express ones freedom of speech but the US flag can?

Sorry, but that's total hypocrisy. If symbols are merely articles and should be ignored, then it should apply to all. It should not apply only to the left and what they deem offensive.
Nobody is restricting you from waving the confederate flag
You just can't force the government to do it

Oh please, people have been attacked by the left for waiving the confederate flag. Local governments have removed them because the snowflakes got upset. Even Walmart quit selling them. Don't tell me nobody is restricted.
As a citizen, I am free to criticize you if you fly the traitorous racist flag

Forum List

Back