Florida Keys Deliver a Hard Message: As Seas Rise, Some Places Can’t Be Saved

This is the libs warning due to global warming. They do not understand Archimedes Principle. Even Neil DeGrasse Tyson gets it.

View attachment 293448

'KEY WEST, Fla. — Officials in the Florida Keys announced what many coastal governments nationwide have long feared, but few have been willing to admit: As seas rise and flooding gets worse, not everyone can be saved.

And in some places, it doesn’t even make sense to try.

On Wednesday morning, Rhonda Haag, the county’s sustainability director, released the first results of the county’s yearslong effort to calculate how high its 300 miles of roads must be elevated to stay dry, and at what cost. Those costs were far higher than her team expected — and those numbers, she said, show that some places can’t be protected, at least at a price that taxpayers can be expected to pay.

“I never would have dreamed we would say ‘no,’” Ms. Haag said in an interview. “But now, with the real estimates coming in, it’s a different story. And it’s not all doable.”'

What everyone should know is that if all the ice on LAND (Antarctica, Greenland, mountain glaciers around the world) were to melt, sea level would rise about 70 meters (230 feet). The ocean would cover all the coastal cities. And land area would shrink significantly.

Yea and if my aunt had balls...

Last night I filled a big gulp cup with ice and topped it up with water.
When I awoke I had a pond in the bedroom.
No. I was wearing my diaper !

Thanks for the link, but I don't trust a bunch of leftist, government hacks at NASA. I presume they have a budget that "deals" with "climate change" and so it's in their financial interests to push the narrative that man is causing the climate to change and that the oceans are rising as a result.

We and everyone else can go outside and see with our own two eyes that the ocean is exactly where it's been for the past century and longer.
Lol, he doesn't trust NASA.

Who do ya trust? Rush Limbaugh?

This is the libs warning due to global warming. They do not understand Archimedes Principle. Even Neil DeGrasse Tyson gets it.

View attachment 293448

'KEY WEST, Fla. — Officials in the Florida Keys announced what many coastal governments nationwide have long feared, but few have been willing to admit: As seas rise and flooding gets worse, not everyone can be saved.

And in some places, it doesn’t even make sense to try.

On Wednesday morning, Rhonda Haag, the county’s sustainability director, released the first results of the county’s yearslong effort to calculate how high its 300 miles of roads must be elevated to stay dry, and at what cost. Those costs were far higher than her team expected — and those numbers, she said, show that some places can’t be protected, at least at a price that taxpayers can be expected to pay.

“I never would have dreamed we would say ‘no,’” Ms. Haag said in an interview. “But now, with the real estimates coming in, it’s a different story. And it’s not all doable.”'

It's not the floating ice that's the problem

See OldLady the New York Times is a lying rag of bullshit. Read their article in the OP. Guess what? The Keys aren't sinking under "rising waters". The problem is with EROSION. I've provided an excerpt and a link:

There is a total of 36.3 miles of beaches that line the Florida Keys and attract both tourists and marine life. Unfortunately, 10.2 miles of this, or 28% of the beaches that line the Keys are deemed critically eroded.

Erosion - Coastal Issues in the Florida Keys
I didn't hear them lying anywhere, K9. I read your article, too, which talks about erosion, not flooding. The erosion of beaches is a big deal down there, where tourism is king. Saving beaches is important. I don't understand what makes you think that erosion of a beach would cause a strip of road to flood at high tide each winter? If you read the article, there is no doubt that the ocean is beginning to creep back over the Keys. That is not caused by erosion. Coastal cities everywhere are seeing it.

Yea? When are they going to be flooded by, 2160?
If that was your attempt at an explanation for why erosion causes repeated flooding, I think you failed.

Erosion eats away at the bottom, drags dirt and sand out to sea which then undermines that which is above it and causes it to collapse and flood.

Is it your belief that the Gulf of Mexico has risen 3-5 feet in recent years?
You called me to this thread, so I came and I commented. I would not have come into a global warming thread because I do not know a whole lot about it. I give my trust to the scientists and the thermometers world wide that agree the planet is warming rapidly, the ice is melting and (perhaps entirely coincidentally?) there is flooding now in low lying coastal areas where that was only seen before during extreme high tides.

I don't understand why the right needs to contradict and deny that. Do ALL of you have stock in BP? What on earth is your problem with doing what's necessary to limit C02 emissions? We have noggins for a reason. Try using yours.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
I have full confidence those living in the Keys have the resources to keep their houses from washing away.........

Last edited:
Sea Level | Vital Signs – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

Sea level rise is caused primarily by two factors related to global warming: the added water from melting ice sheets and glaciers and the expansion of seawater as it warms. The first graph tracks the change in sea level since 1993 as observed by satellites.

The second graph, derived from coastal tide gauge data, shows how much sea level changed from about 1870 to 2000 (sic).

View attachment 293449

12_seaLevel_left.gif
the sea is rising from your tears when trump won.

What everyone should know is that if all the ice on LAND (Antarctica, Greenland, mountain glaciers around the world) were to melt, sea level would rise about 70 meters (230 feet). The ocean would cover all the coastal cities. And land area would shrink significantly.
Your uncle would be gay?

I can pretty much guarantee the land ice will never melt completely. If the current warming trend continues I can pretty much guarantee that some will melt and sea level will rise. How much, who knows?

Your uncle would be gay?

I can pretty much guarantee the land ice will never melt completely. If the current warming trend continues I can pretty much guarantee that some will melt and sea level will rise. How much, who knows?

It won't rise high enough to prevent Obama from enjoying his new oceanfront property.

Your uncle would be gay?

It won't rise high enough to prevent Obama from enjoying his new oceanfront property.
Can you guarantee the same to his grandchildren?

See OldLady the New York Times is a lying rag of bullshit. Read their article in the OP. Guess what? The Keys aren't sinking under "rising waters". The problem is with EROSION. I've provided an excerpt and a link:

There is a total of 36.3 miles of beaches that line the Florida Keys and attract both tourists and marine life. Unfortunately, 10.2 miles of this, or 28% of the beaches that line the Keys are deemed critically eroded.

Erosion - Coastal Issues in the Florida Keys
I didn't hear them lying anywhere, K9. I read your article, too, which talks about erosion, not flooding. The erosion of beaches is a big deal down there, where tourism is king. Saving beaches is important. I don't understand what makes you think that erosion of a beach would cause a strip of road to flood at high tide each winter? If you read the article, there is no doubt that the ocean is beginning to creep back over the Keys. That is not caused by erosion. Coastal cities everywhere are seeing it.

If that was your attempt at an explanation for why erosion causes repeated flooding, I think you failed.

Erosion eats away at the bottom, drags dirt and sand out to sea which then undermines that which is above it and causes it to collapse and flood.

You called me to this thread, so I came and I commented. I would not have come into a global warming thread because I do not know a whole lot about it. I give my trust to the scientists and the thermometers world wide that agree the planet is warming rapidly, the ice is melting and (perhaps entirely coincidentally?) there is flooding now in low lying coastal areas where that was only seen before during extreme high tides.

I don't understand why the right needs to contradict and deny that. Do ALL of you have stock in BP? What on earth is your problem with doing what's necessary to limit C02 emissions? We have noggins for a reason. Try using yours.

The climate change industry is big business. Researchers are paid to conduct studies and the money goes away if they report that there is nothing to report. Don't be a sucker.

You called the NYT "reputable". They are not and I just provided you with an example.

Your uncle would be gay?

I think it's HIGHLY likely that his property will be enjoyed by wealthy people, including his grandchildren, for at least the next century.

The climate change industry is big business. Researchers are paid to conduct studies and the money goes away if they report that there is nothing to report. Don't be a sucker.

You called the NYT "reputable". They are not and I just provided you with an example.
There are no lies in that article. Just because they, like the rest of the educated world, understand that warmer temperatures are causing ice to melt, it doesn't make them liars. You would like to deny global warming because of your propensity to believe any made up hogwash that comes down the pike if it's spewed by the Alt Right factotums. Gee, thanks for bringing me to this intellectually stimulating discussion, K9. I think I'm going to go wash my hair now.

There are no lies in that article. Just because they, like the rest of the educated world, understand that warmer temperatures are causing ice to melt, it doesn't make them liars. You would like to deny global warming because of your propensity to believe any made up hogwash that comes down the pike if it's spewed by the Alt Right factotums. Gee, thanks for bringing me to this intellectually stimulating discussion, K9. I think I'm going to go wash my hair now.

Claiming that the Keys are going under water due to "rising sea levels" is an absolute LIE.

Claiming that the Keys are going under water due to "rising sea levels" is an absolute LIE.
Why do you think erosion is a problem in the keys? What do you think the effects of sea level rise will be?

Sea Level | Vital Signs – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

Sea level rise is caused primarily by two factors related to global warming: the added water from melting ice sheets and glaciers and the expansion of seawater as it warms. The first graph tracks the change in sea level since 1993 as observed by satellites.

The second graph, derived from coastal tide gauge data, shows how much sea level changed from about 1870 to 2000 (sic).

View attachment 293449

12_seaLevel_left.gif

As a surfer who lived six blocks from Ocean Beach in SF, I have seen the beach in 1960 at high tide and in 2019. The width of the beach is very much smaller today then when I lived and surfed there in the 60's and 70's.

LUDICROUS ^^^ [not even up to the standard of an idiot-gram]

Your uncle would be gay?

I think it's HIGHLY likely that his property will be enjoyed by wealthy people, including his grandchildren, for at least the next century.
I have to agree, Martha's Vineyard is not a sandbar and rises to 311 feet AML. Obama made a good purchase. Key West on the other hand is only 18 feet AML so even a small rise will enable waves to erode it away.

Well here is what was a street three months ago. It has been flooded for three months straight.
img_2450-56f1b8b29c034c602f116dc2d2dfd7d5eee002ba-s800-c85.jpg

So not a lie. You could get off your lazy stupd fiucking ass and go look. Go to the keys and see. Go to Miami and see it with your own eyes.

Your uncle would be gay?

I have to agree, Martha's Vineyard is not a sandbar and rises to 311 feet AML. Obama made a good purchase. Key West on the other hand is only 18 feet AML so even a small rise will enable waves to erode it away.

Forum List

Back