Florida Keys Deliver a Hard Message: As Seas Rise, Some Places Can’t Be Saved

james bond

Gold Member
Oct 17, 2015
This is the libs warning due to global warming. They do not understand Archimedes Principle. Even Neil DeGrasse Tyson gets it.

1a3f679dd8121466291c26a50dda8e3f_1.JPG

'KEY WEST, Fla. — Officials in the Florida Keys announced what many coastal governments nationwide have long feared, but few have been willing to admit: As seas rise and flooding gets worse, not everyone can be saved.

And in some places, it doesn’t even make sense to try.

On Wednesday morning, Rhonda Haag, the county’s sustainability director, released the first results of the county’s yearslong effort to calculate how high its 300 miles of roads must be elevated to stay dry, and at what cost. Those costs were far higher than her team expected — and those numbers, she said, show that some places can’t be protected, at least at a price that taxpayers can be expected to pay.

“I never would have dreamed we would say ‘no,’” Ms. Haag said in an interview. “But now, with the real estimates coming in, it’s a different story. And it’s not all doable.”'

Sadly, a lot of people simply do not get it, and that includes some posters on the USMB.

Has the water actually risen there or are they just anticipating that it will rise? And if it's risen there, then it should be safe to assume that's risen everywhere else too, right? Is New York City about to go under too?

There is this thing called "erosion". Sometimes, the ocean's currents and waves rip dirt away and wash it out to sea. Sometimes, the ocean creates islands, only to destroy them later. Is it possible that this is what's occurring in Key West, just like it occurs everywhere else?

Watch the price of Real Estate in the locations you are worried about... When the prices bottom out, get out your floaties...

Key West, 33040 housing market data and appreciation trends - NeighborhoodScout

Mar 29, 2019 · Key West real estate appreciated 62.49% over the last ten years, which is an average annual home appreciation rate of 4.97%, putting Key West in the top 10% nationally for real estate appreciation. If you are a home buyer or real estate investor, Key West definitely has a track record of being one of the best long term real estate investments in America through the last ten years.

See OldLady the New York Times is a lying rag of bullshit. Read their article in the OP. Guess what? The Keys aren't sinking under "rising waters". The problem is with EROSION. I've provided an excerpt and a link:

There is a total of 36.3 miles of beaches that line the Florida Keys and attract both tourists and marine life. Unfortunately, 10.2 miles of this, or 28% of the beaches that line the Keys are deemed critically eroded.

Erosion - Coastal Issues in the Florida Keys

Sea Level | Vital Signs – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

Sea level rise is caused primarily by two factors related to global warming: the added water from melting ice sheets and glaciers and the expansion of seawater as it warms. The first graph tracks the change in sea level since 1993 as observed by satellites.

The second graph, derived from coastal tide gauge data, shows how much sea level changed from about 1870 to 2000 (sic).

SeaLevel.png

12_seaLevel_left.gif

Is sea level rising?

With continued ocean and atmospheric warming, sea levels will likely rise for many centuries at rates higher than that of the current century. In the United States, almost 40 percent of the population lives in relatively high-population-density coastal areas, where sea level plays a role in flooding, shoreline erosion, and hazards from storms. Globally, eight of the world's 10 largest cities are near a coast, according to the U.N. Atlas of the Oceans.
[...]
Sea level rise at specific locations may be more or less than the global average due to local factors such as land subsidence from natural processes and withdrawal of groundwater and fossil fuels, changes in regional ocean currents, and whether the land is still rebounding from the compressive weight of Ice Age glaciers. In urban settings, rising seas threaten infrastructure necessary for local jobs and regional industries. Roads, bridges, subways, water supplies, oil and gas wells, power plants, sewage treatment plants, landfills—virtually all human infrastructure—is at risk from sea level rise.

Thanks for the link, but I don't trust a bunch of leftist, government hacks at NASA. I presume they have a budget that "deals" with "climate change" and so it's in their financial interests to push the narrative that man is causing the climate to change and that the oceans are rising as a result.

We and everyone else can go outside and see with our own two eyes that the ocean is exactly where it's been for the past century and longer.

Did you notice that they didn't date their article? Why is that? I'll tell you why. It's because they don't want that article to age. They want that article to be the narrative whether it's 2005, 2015 or 2025. They're dishonest and unreliable. They have a political as well as a financial motive for propagating the "seas are rising" claims.

Sea level rise is not predicated on just sea ice melting. Not all places can or will be saved. The reality, however, is that to reverse carbon trends doesn't require a ton of new technologies or sea walls or trillion dollar projects. All the technology exists and a lot of it is low tech---help people in third and developing world countries not have so many freaking babies will get us a good way to the goal.

Is sea level rising?

With continued ocean and atmospheric warming, sea levels will likely rise for many centuries at rates higher than that of the current century. In the United States, almost 40 percent of the population lives in relatively high-population-density coastal areas, where sea level plays a role in flooding, shoreline erosion, and hazards from storms. Globally, eight of the world's 10 largest cities are near a coast, according to the U.N. Atlas of the Oceans.
[...]
Sea level rise at specific locations may be more or less than the global average due to local factors such as land subsidence from natural processes and withdrawal of groundwater and fossil fuels, changes in regional ocean currents, and whether the land is still rebounding from the compressive weight of Ice Age glaciers. In urban settings, rising seas threaten infrastructure necessary for local jobs and regional industries. Roads, bridges, subways, water supplies, oil and gas wells, power plants, sewage treatment plants, landfills—virtually all human infrastructure—is at risk from sea level rise.
if Ice melts in a cup full of water will the cup flood the table it's sitting on?

Mother Nature is a fickle bitch... Things have been changing since 5 minutes after the beginning of time... Don't like the way things are, just wait awhile things will change...

See OldLady the New York Times is a lying rag of bullshit. Read their article in the OP. Guess what? The Keys aren't sinking under "rising waters". The problem is with EROSION. I've provided an excerpt and a link:

There is a total of 36.3 miles of beaches that line the Florida Keys and attract both tourists and marine life. Unfortunately, 10.2 miles of this, or 28% of the beaches that line the Keys are deemed critically eroded.

I didn't hear them lying anywhere, K9. I read your article, too, which talks about erosion, not flooding. The erosion of beaches is a big deal down there, where tourism is king. Saving beaches is important. I don't understand what makes you think that erosion of a beach would cause a strip of road to flood at high tide each winter? If you read the article, there is no doubt that the ocean is beginning to creep back over the Keys. That is not caused by erosion. Coastal cities everywhere are seeing it.

Thanks for the link, but I don't trust a bunch of leftist, government hacks at NASA.
Hilarious. I used to have trouble understanding that attitude but I now realise it comes from the marriage of Christianity to American nationalism, in which science is considered to part of 'the left's' attack on American values. This article False Idol -- Why the Christian Right Worships Donald Trump was an eye opener, I see it reflected everywhere in this forum.

Thanks for the link, but I don't trust a bunch of leftist, government hacks at NASA.
Hilarious. I used to have trouble understanding that attitude but I now realise it comes from the marriage of Christianity to American nationalism, in which science is considered to part of 'the left's' attack on American values. This article False Idol -- Why the Christian Right Worships Donald Trump was an eye opener, I see it reflected everywhere in this forum.

You worship government and believe whatever they tell you - sucker.

Sea Level | Vital Signs – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

Sea level rise is caused primarily by two factors related to global warming: the added water from melting ice sheets and glaciers and the expansion of seawater as it warms. The first graph tracks the change in sea level since 1993 as observed by satellites.

The second graph, derived from coastal tide gauge data, shows how much sea level changed from about 1870 to 2000 (sic).

View attachment 293449

12_seaLevel_left.gif

Do you realize that the second graph kills the AGW theory? The graph shows a fairly consistent rise in sea levels since 1880, and who knows about the previous 100 years. AGW theory claims an acceleration of sea levels due to increased CO2 from humans. According to the graph and AGW theory, CO2 levels have been increasing consistently since 1880 which we all know is false.

I didn't hear them lying anywhere, K9. I read your article, too, which talks about erosion, not flooding. The erosion of beaches is a big deal down there, where tourism is king. Saving beaches is important. I don't understand what makes you think that erosion of a beach would cause a strip of road to flood at high tide each winter? If you read the article, there is no doubt that the ocean is beginning to creep back over the Keys. That is not caused by erosion. Coastal cities everywhere are seeing it.

Yea? When are they going to be flooded by, 2160?

If that was your attempt at an explanation for why erosion causes repeated flooding, I think you failed.

This is the libs warning due to global warming. They do not understand Archimedes Principle. Even Neil DeGrasse Tyson gets it.

View attachment 293448

'KEY WEST, Fla. — Officials in the Florida Keys announced what many coastal governments nationwide have long feared, but few have been willing to admit: As seas rise and flooding gets worse, not everyone can be saved.

And in some places, it doesn’t even make sense to try.

On Wednesday morning, Rhonda Haag, the county’s sustainability director, released the first results of the county’s yearslong effort to calculate how high its 300 miles of roads must be elevated to stay dry, and at what cost. Those costs were far higher than her team expected — and those numbers, she said, show that some places can’t be protected, at least at a price that taxpayers can be expected to pay.

“I never would have dreamed we would say ‘no,’” Ms. Haag said in an interview. “But now, with the real estimates coming in, it’s a different story. And it’s not all doable.”'

What everyone should know is that if all the ice on LAND (Antarctica, Greenland, mountain glaciers around the world) were to melt, sea level would rise about 70 meters (230 feet). The ocean would cover all the coastal cities. And land area would shrink significantly.

If that was your attempt at an explanation for why erosion causes repeated flooding, I think you failed.

Erosion eats away at the bottom, drags dirt and sand out to sea which then undermines that which is above it and causes it to collapse and flood.

Is it your belief that the Gulf of Mexico has risen 3-5 feet in recent years?

Forum List

Back