Fishing Tournament Cheating Scandal

I can’t understand how they got away with it for so long.

You would think someone who weighs in fish all day would be able to look at a fish and guess it’s weight within a few ounces.

But when all your fish weigh a pound and a half more than they look, how could you not check them out?
That is what I thought. It's not like they are weighing whales here. You would think someone had enough sense to weigh one fish, then weigh his that is about the same size and it weighs twice as much??

I doubt this is where this ends. I am betting on some inside corruption here. I call bullshit. There is no way the dude weighing wasn't wondering what the hell is going on.

There have been rumors of just poorly ran events
I think so... for anyone who has fished much at all, let alone people who live it and act as officials at a weigh in... I refuse to believe they didn't know what was going on. No way.
And also why I believe, as you can see in the video, that the officials did not want to call the police. And just wanted the guy to leave.
The last thing I am sure they wanted was an investigation. The guy who cheated would probably start singing like a canary

Would this fish win the contest?

Blobfish1.jpg

Jacob Runyan and Chase Cominski were charged with felony cheating, attempted grand theft and possessing criminal tools, along with misdemeanor counts of unlawfully owning wild animals after allegedly stuffing fish with lead weights and fillets in an attempt to win the event and take home $28,760 in prizes.

Jacob Runyan and Chase Cominski were charged with felony cheating, attempted grand theft and possessing criminal tools, along with misdemeanor counts of unlawfully owning wild animals after allegedly stuffing fish with lead weights and fillets in an attempt to win the event and take home $28,760 in prizes.

I still say there was some insider trickery going on.
There is just no way an experienced fisherman wouldn't notice these "magical" fish that were no larger than the others, but somehow weighed twice as much.

I still say there was some insider trickery going on.
There is just no way an experienced fisherman wouldn't notice these "magical" fish that were no larger than the others, but somehow weighed twice as much.

It would be like saying a five-foot-tall person weighs 500 pounds, but you look at him and he looks like an athlete," professional angler Ross Robertson told Vimal Patel of the New York Times. "These fish were so bulging."

Criminal tools?

They also put filets i there as well. So it was a bit more involved

They got greedy
Rather than a few ounces in each fish, they added a pound to each fish making it obvious that something was “fishy”

They got greedy
Rather than a few ounces in each fish, they added a pound to each fish making it obvious that something was “fishy”
Agreed. Their possession of filets to stuff inside the fish shows planning and fore thought. Unless they were just cutting up smaller fish as they caught them. .

The two guys ended up pleading guilty for what is probably a slap on the wrist

Oddly, just the other day I thought to myself, I wonder what ever happened to those two cats who got caught putting weights in fish. And I don;t even know why I thought of it. True story!

Thanks for the update...

Oddly, just the other day I thought to myself, I wonder what ever happened to those two cats who got caught putting weights in fish. And I don;t even know why I thought of it. True story!

Thanks for the update...

They are asking for them to forfeit the boat and trailer they stole in another tournament and six months probation

Not close to what they tried to steal

Forum List

Back