First Lady Melania Trump Gives the White House a Makeover

ap19260682071607.jpg

This Sept. 17, 2019, photo shows restored furniture in the Blue Room of the White House in Washington. The restoration was part of the improvement projects that first lady Melania Trump has overseen to keep the well-trod public rooms at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue looking their museum-quality best.

Those have to be the ugliest chairs I have seen in my life.
Furniture in state houses like this is always extremely gaudy. I will never understand the aesthetic. I prefer modern styles, very clean and simple. Mostly blacks and whites.

Last edited:
The last first lady who updated the WH was Jackie Kennedy back in the 60's.

I'm sure much of the WH could do with a makeover. Glad our current first lady has taken on the job.

Oh yeah and those chairs are ugly but I'd bet they are antiques like much of what's in the WH.

The last first lady who updated the WH was Jackie Kennedy back in the 60's.

I'm sure much of the WH could do with a makeover. Glad our current first lady has taken on the job.

Oh yeah and those chairs are ugly but I'd bet they are antiques like much of what's in the WH.

Yes, Jackie Kennedy back in the 60's.. That was a big deal because television was sort of new and people got to see it all. Nancy Reagan did a big makeover in the 80's. All first lady's add some touches, but I think Jackie and Nancy were the two previous big decorators.

BY DARLENE SUPERVILLE / AP SEPTEMBER 17, 2019

(WASHINGTON) — She’s done a lot with the place.

Like anyone who has ever spruced up their home, Melania Trump will have a few new touches to showcase Friday when guests visit the White House for only the second state dinner of the Trump presidency.

There’s refreshed wall fabric in the Red Room, repurposed draperies in the Green Room and restored furniture in the Blue Room. And those are just some of the home improvement projects the first lady has overseen to keep the well-trod public rooms at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. looking their museum-quality best.

Some of the projects were long overdue. Sunlight streaming into the Red Room had left some of the wall fabric “so faded it was almost pink,” said Stewart McLaurin, president of the White House Historical Association, which helps finance upkeep of some rooms in the 132-room mansion. First lady Jacqueline Kennedy founded the private, nonprofit organization in 1961.

“Those rooms should always look their very best and it was just very faded and really, really needed to be done,” McLaurin said.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison and his wife, Jenny, and guests for Friday’s three-course dinner in their honor should have an opportunity to check out the spiffed-up public rooms.

In her role as caretaker, the first lady — whoever she is — meets regularly with the chief usher, the head curator and other White House staff to figure out what improvements should top the to-do list.

Mrs. Trump, who keeps a relatively low profile as first lady, has put her interest in history to use overseeing the restoration projects.

“Our family is grateful to live in this true symbol of our nation’s history, but we are even more honored to play a part in restoring and enhancing our country’s sacred landmark,” she said at a May reception

ME: What can I add? She is a wonderful first lady doing a great job. Few first ladies have worked wonders with the White House.

Given that she's not even living in the White House, this is a big surprise.

Not a surprise to me. Being an immigrant, she truly loves this country. She's also actually proud of her country since she immigrated here, not for "the first time in my life", like someone else whose name I won't mention.

Oh Immigrants love this country?

The rooms look quite lovely. I've always been quite a large fan of the Federal and American Empire style.

After 8 years of obama, I’m glad we finally have an intelligent and attractive First Lady back in Washington.

The Trump family has brought some class back to the WH.

Yep, nothing says class more than Wendy's and McD's on silver platters...:laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301:

ctyp-trump-white-house-fast-food-clemson.JPG

You can't get more American than that!
Make America Fat Again
(oh, and I'll take a Big Mac.
Is there a Big Mac in the house?)

After 8 years of obama, I’m glad we finally have an intelligent and attractive First Lady back in Washington.

The Trump family has brought some class back to the WH.

Yep, nothing says class more than Wendy's and McD's on silver platters...:laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301:

ctyp-trump-white-house-fast-food-clemson.JPG

You can't get more American than that!
Make America Fat Again
(oh, and I'll take a Big Mac.
Is there a Big Mac in the house?)
Congratulations! YOU just won DUMBEST post of the day.

Melania has style. Some people don't like that, some do. But she's as good a front that the White House has ever seen, and I like her taste too.
Nobody has worse taste than the Trumps

Campy......LOOK how rich I am!

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fchasewithorn%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F05%2FTrump-penthouse-1-1200x630.jpg

Melania has style. Some people don't like that, some do. But she's as good a front that the White House has ever seen, and I like her taste too.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fchasewithorn%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F05%2FTrump-penthouse-1-1200x630.jpg
YOU just won THIRD place for DUMBEST posts of the day, Old (F)art Carney. Congratulations! It's hard to believe there were two dumber than yours, but there were. You get the bronze medal.

YOU just won THIRD place for DUMBEST posts of the day, Old (F)art Carney. Congratulations! It's hard to believe there were two dumber than yours, but there were. You get the bronze medal.
That’s your A Game?
U R STOOPID!

Got to pick it up

ap19260682071607.jpg

This Sept. 17, 2019, photo shows restored furniture in the Blue Room of the White House in Washington. The restoration was part of the improvement projects that first lady Melania Trump has overseen to keep the well-trod public rooms at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue looking their museum-quality best.

ap19260682095344.jpg

This Sept. 17, 2019, photo shows repurposed draperies in the Green Room of the White House in Washington, which are among the improvement projects that first lady Melania Trump has overseen to keep the well-trod public rooms at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue looking their museum-quality best.

Man, that look is just way too foofoo; I knew she was a drag queen.

That’s your A Game?
U R STOOPID!

Got to pick it up
Oops, you just took the lead for DUMBEST post of the day. Nicely done, Old (F) art!

New Topics

Forum List

Back