Firearms question

Actually last time I went to the range they had a target that was a picture of OBL. I used that. My first shot was right between his eyes.

You are a wee bit paranoid.

I believe I am going to go with the Glock 19 9m for several reasons.

I probably won't carry very much.

The main reasons I am getting the Concealed Pistol's License is because

• I am afraid Obama might take away the right
  • It makes it more convenient to carry it to the range, rather than unload it and store it in the trunk
  • To buy another gun I don't have to get a permit to purchase
  • I wanted to take the course so I learn more about it

I am going with the Glock 19 because

1. Although it's 9 mm instead of a more powerful .40, if I can place my shots better that is more important than the higher caliber
  2. It will be more fun to shoot at the range
  3. Glock is known for reliability and dependibility, and a lot of law enforcement as well as military use the Glock 19

A bit more about the gun...

Glock pistol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the input guys.

Like a said in my first response (and to everyone who asks the same question) Get what you like, get what suits you, what you're comfortable with. Learn how to use it so it becomes second nature. I like the smaller caliber for the same reason you stated, rapid reacquisition of sight picture means more rounds placed more quickly where you want them.
I always suggest people learn combat shooting techniques, especially if they plan to carry and extra magazine or speed loader.

On a side note, if you are looking for extreme conceal-ability, consider the new Ruger LCP. 6+1 rounds of .380 ACP in a 9.4oz package, less than an inch wide, five inches long. You can conceal this piece on the beach! Surprisingly, new models are only $300.

Has quite the kick, hence the nickname noisy cricket.

YouTube - Ruger LCP

Nice firearm....but.......what about stopping power? Penetration? Will a .38 stop a 280lb behemoth high on meth who's swirling around like a hurricane towards you?

Instead, how about a 9mm Kahr PM9? Still small but could be more effective. What do you think?

Nice firearm....but.......what about stopping power? Penetration? Will a .38 stop a 280lb behemoth high on meth who's swirling around like a hurricane towards you?
It's not a one-shot-stop unless you are very lucky, but that's why you have six rounds. The .380 acp is comparable to the .38 special in power, which police used for nearly a century.

If you are expecting situations where six rounds of .380acp/.38special are not enough, your dangerous lifestyle/job requires at least a machine pistol, if not a shotgun or rifle.

Instead, how about a 9mm Kahr PM9? Still small but could be more effective. What do you think?
It's a matter of personal preference, imo. The best gun is the one you have with you...if you are happy carrying a PM9, or even a bulky 1911, on your person daily, more power to ya.

Regardless of caliber, bullets>knives>fists in any self-defense situation.

6ntaar.jpg

Last edited:
It's not a one-shot-stop unless you are very lucky, but that's why you have six rounds. The .380 acp is comparable to the .38 special in power, which police used for nearly a century.

If you are expecting situations where six rounds of .380acp/.38special are not enough, your dangerous lifestyle/job requires at least a machine pistol, if not a shotgun or rifle.

It's a matter of personal preference, imo. The best gun is the one you have with you...if you are happy carrying a PM9, or even a bulky 1911, on your person daily, more power to ya.

6ntaar.jpg

Good points........but if you have to empty your firearm just to stop one dude, what if there are more threats coming at you? You've got to reload quickly and if you couldn't stop one, the others are already in your face. Just a thought.

Good points........but if you have to empty your firearm just to stop one dude, what if there are more threats coming at you? You've got to reload quickly and if you couldn't stop one, the others are already in your face. Just a thought.
If you are expecting multiple threats, you are either in a warzone, involved with organized crime, or a survivor of the apocalypse. In each case, you should have an automatic rifle, not a pocket pistol.

What have you been doing, that you expect multiple drugged-up thugs bum-rushing you? Picking fights at the local mental hospital?

If you are expecting multiple threats, you are either in a warzone, involved with organized crime, or a survivor of the apocalypse. In each case, you should have an automatic rifle, not a pocket pistol.

What have you been doing, that you expect multiple drugged-up thugs bum-rushing you? Picking fights at the local mental hospital?

Ah, no. I live in an area that's got a lot of organized criminal gangs - on the streets, in the malls, on the highways. Coming into better neighborhoods. Cops are stretched and can't always be around. We have 'home invasions.' Heard of that?

Ah, no. I live in an area that's got a lot of organized criminal gangs - on the streets, in the malls, on the highways. Coming into better neighborhoods. Cops are stretched and can't always be around. We have 'home invasions.' Heard of that?
I spent three years in the worst neighborhood of NY, where most shootings were never reported. In most muggings involving professional criminals, the victim never had a chance to pull a gun, as the perp announced his presence with a gun/knife to the head/neck.

My answer to home invasion?

Shotgun_Mossberg_590.jpg

Last edited:
I spent three years in the worst neighborhood of NY, where most shootings were never reported. In most muggings involving professional criminals, the victim never had a chance to pull a gun, as the perp announced his presence with a gun/knife to the head/neck.

My answer to home invasion?

Shotgun_Mossberg_590.jpg

Sort of hard to carry around with a Martini and plate of olives. :)

Sort of hard to carry around with a Martini and plate of olives. :)
Hence, the LCP in .380 acp! (which was also 007's preferred caliber)

:D

A tiny pistol for travel, and a powerful shotgun for home. Simple enough.

Last edited:
For a home invasion I would use my 12 gauge pump, it's hard to beat that power and intimidation affect.

Bought a tarus slim a couple of days ago, the FN 5.7 was printing to much
I dont like having to carry extra mags .
But had to go smaller, pretty comfortable with out the sting you get from sub compacts.

I can't wait to get my glock 19 tuesday.

I have to wait 4-6 weeks for my cpl.

I am getting my concealed pistols license.

I am trying to decide between a glock 19 9 mm and a s&w mp .40 caliber.

Suggestions?

That's a tough one. I always have a Glock 19 9mm with me because it's easy to carry and reliable. You're probably going to have to flip a coin. This guy likes the S&W:

Smith & Wesson’s New M&P .40 S&W Pistol

(I guess you already chose the glock. Good hunting!)

I added a beavertail grip safety, full length recoil guide rod, adjustable trigger, extended safety and slide release tabs, installed Bo-Mar, low profile combat sights, and I completely disassembled the weapon and used jeweler's rouge to finish every internal part of the weapon.

I also added Pachmyr wraparound grips and have six McCormick, match grade magazines.

Cool. Can you post a pix?

Ringel09 - Is the grip on the PPK/copy smaller than a Glock?

Dude, I'm a Marine. I can customize guns. I CAN'T post pix.:eusa_eh:

:lol:

Gunny, did you ever meet Achmed in your training?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45Vf8MbbQRM]YouTube - Jeff Dunham - Achmed the dead terrorist - Training Camp[/ame]

6ntaar.jpg

With the advances in ammo these days it's becoming a mote point. Besides, have you ever been in a fire fight? Your target is frequently moving, ducking, bobbing and/or weaving which makes faster target acquisition that much more important and much easier with a lighter caliber.
What's even more important are the stats that show in the vast majority of incidences all you have to do is draw a sidearm and even armed perps take off running. They don't stop to look at what caliber it is they simply realize they picked the wrong mark and hightail it the hell out of there.

Last edited:

6ntaar.jpg

With the advances in ammo these days it's becoming a mote point. Besides, have you ever been in a fire fight? Your target is frequently moving, ducking, bobbing and/or weaving which makes faster target acquisition that much more important and much easier with a lighter caliber.
What's even more important are the stats that show in the vast majority of incidences all you have to do is draw a sidearm and even armed perps take off running. They don't stop to look at what caliber it is they simply realize they picked the wrong mark and hightail it the hell out of there.
Heavy frame help keep things on target The FN was good for this as it has no recoil.

Ya, but it's hard to carry that concealed.

Forum List

Back