Feds: We can read all your email, and you’ll never know

Idk if I identify with Civil Libertarians politically,

You probably are and don't know it.. Because everyone thinks ACLU.. But ACLU has their "pet" civil liberty causes lately and largely ignores any economic or Bill of Rights issues they don't like..

ACLU is FULLY involved in monitoring and litigating against the "702" system abuse (702 is the Patriot Act clause that AUTHORIZES the domestic collection) So they're right on that.

But there are other important Civ Lib issues going on.. Like eminent domain abuse, asset forfeiture, govt abuse of licensing lemonade stands (LOL) and things like that. There's other Civ Lib orgs like the Institute for Justice that goes after stuff the ACLU ignores.. Like the things I just mentioned.. They are the Libertarian ACLU and do a fantastic job on the "other" Civ Lib issues...
I fully agree with the other issues you mentioned, particularly the asset forfeiture and if you mentioned it I can safely asssumed it was because someone had a problem with some kids and their unllicensed lemonade stand <rolling eyes>

And I actually am familair with the Institute for Justice. I receive emails from them periodically so I am on their mailing list.

Believe it or not, being spied upon is not the worse of it. The campaign to discredit an individual and write them off as nothing more than a paranoid, crazy or malicious (against the government) individual if they should happen to discover that their rights are being violated in this manner is much more heinous, in my opinion.

Buy your own hosted domain and email accounts and stop using "free" services

former FBI director James Comey said when he was asked back in September 2016 if he covered his laptop’s webcam with tape.

“Heck yeah, heck yeah. Also, I get mocked for a lot of things, and I am much mocked for that, but I hope people lock their cars … lock your doors at night. I have an alarm system, if you have an alarm system you should use it, I use mine.”

If he does, we all should.

Who could be accessing your camera and microphone?
Are your phone camera and microphone spying on you? | Dylan Curran

INSURGE INTELLIGENCE, a new crowd-funded investigative journalism project, breaks the exclusive story of how the United States intelligence community funded, nurtured and incubated Google as part of a drive to dominate the world through control of information. Seed-funded by the NSA and CIA, Google was merely the first among a plethora of private sector start-ups co-opted by US intelligence to retain ‘information superiority.’
How The CIA Made Google

The 11 documents describe a piece of software called “Brutal Kangaroo,” a set of tools built for infiltrating isolated, “air-gapped” computers by targeting internet-connected networks within the same organization. It’s the latest publication in the “Vault 7” series of leaked documents, which describe myriad hacking tools WikiLeaks says belong to the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). WikiLeaks: The CIA can remotely hack into computers that aren't even connected to the internet

WikiLeaks: Here's how the CIA hacks your phones, TVs and PCs
The organization releases thousands of documents it claims show how the US spy agency can crack open devices from Apple, Samsung, Google and Microsoft. WikiLeaks: Here's how the CIA hacks your phones, TVs and PCs

When I tire of offending liberals I occasionally mount web searches for obscure things or places then kick back to watch the advertising that magically appears on almost every website. When that gets boring a friend and I exchange emails larded with trigger words. "There is a balm in Gilead" results in a flock of ads for everything from Gold Bond Powder to Preparation H. Gotta be careful, though to not misspell "balm" or you might get a different sort of attention.

Forum List

Back