FedEx, Healthcare.gov, Target, Wal-Mart, Kohl's, UPS, Amazon...

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
Yikes! Using electronic ordering and paying didn't work out all that well this year, what happened?

Yeah Healthcare.gov is just like Amazon and FedEx

Don't be ridiculous, none of these screw-ups are "just like" the others screw-up but-----but a common thread for these websites is, they weren't created by government workers?

I'm thinking these folks shouldn't have promised what they knew they couldn't deliver...? What do you think?

Don't be ridiculous, none of these screw-ups are "just like" the others screw-up but-----but a common thread for these websites is, they weren't created by government workers?

I'm thinking these folks shouldn't have promised what they knew they couldn't deliver...? What do you think?

I think you are an absolute fool.

Everything worked fine for Amazon, Target, Walmart, and all others who deal with online sales. The problem was with FedEx and UPS, they were ill prepared for the last minute influx of shipments.

Your effort to prop-up the laughable healthcare website falls short, very short.

Think apples to cow patties...

Everything worked fine for Amazon, Target, Walmart, and all others who deal with online sales. The problem was with FedEx and UPS, they were ill prepared for the last minute influx of shipments.

Your effort to prop-up the laughable healthcare website falls short, very short.

Each of the companies I listed (I could have listed more/others) apologized to their customers for different/various reasons. Some of the screw-ups were related to UPS and FedEx delivery problems but-----but you're saying Target's electronic security problem was caused by UPS and FedEx, how so? and-----and please explain how Amazon, et al, could promise-----promise/guarantee a delivery date without first ensuring the delivery infrastructure was up to snuff?

Each of the companies I listed (I could have listed more/others) apologized to their customers for different/various reasons. Some of the screw-ups were related to UPS and FedEx delivery problems but-----but you're saying Target's electronic security problem was caused by UPS and FedEx, how so? and-----and please explain how Amazon, et al, could promise-----promise/guarantee a delivery date without first ensuring the delivery infrastructure was up to snuff?

Considering you are not forced to use FedEx or UPS, or even Amazon or the other online retailers, the point does not hold water.

Plus these retailers are trying to make good on thier screw up. The government is basically telling those getting screwed by Obamacare to "buck up"

I wasn't referring to Target's hacking issue, I read your post and came away the shipping problems that are currently in the news while at the same time somehow trying to link that debacle to the healthcare.gov debacle.

The companies you mentioned will of course apologize to their customers, that's what you do. They will also be refunding money and making special offers. As for promising delivery dates, that's easy... FedEx and UPS tell them what they can promise. They tell the companies if they get the package to them by X they will deliver it by Y. FedEx and UPS were simply overwhelmed by a last minute surge as well as inclement weather. A surge, I might add, that was unexpected by both the shipping companies and the businesses, at least according to some news reports.

Now, to try to compare Target's hacking issue with the roll out of healthcare.gov doesn't fly either. To the best of my knowledge, their website worked fine at launch and this security breach was a crime. Imagine, I would guess Target has very good security for their website and they were still hacked... From what I hear, the security for the government's healthcare site is questionable at best...

Yikes! Using electronic ordering and paying didn't work out all that well this year, what happened?

You got guys in boardrooms looking at the "bottom line" making tech decisions.

You don't hire the right coders, don't have network people watching traffic, don't have product support people and operation people watching application and skimp on security folks?

Failures are a given.

I wasn't referring to Target's hacking issue, I read your post and came away the shipping problems that are currently in the news while at the same time somehow trying to link that debacle to the healthcare.gov debacle.

The companies you mentioned will of course apologize to their customers, that's what you do. They will also be refunding money and making special offers. As for promising delivery dates, that's easy... FedEx and UPS tell them what they can promise. They tell the companies if they get the package to them by X they will deliver it by Y. FedEx and UPS were simply overwhelmed by a last minute surge as well as inclement weather. A surge, I might add, that was unexpected by both the shipping companies and the businesses, at least according to some news reports.

Now, to try to compare Target's hacking issue with the roll out of healthcare.gov doesn't fly either. To the best of my knowledge, their website worked fine at launch and this security breach was a crime. Imagine, I would guess Target has very good security for their website and they were still hacked... From what I hear, the security for the government's healthcare site is questionable at best...

All of these failures were predictable.

Companies are trying to run without labor or with very cheap labor.

And that includes the government.

You get what you pay for..and very literally.

I ordered a bunch of stuff online from Amazon. EVERYTHING (eleven different packages to three different addresses) was delivered on time, on (or before) the expected delivery date.

When you ship out millions of items (like Amazon does), you WILL have at least some problems!

Companies are trying to run without labor or with very cheap labor.

And that includes the government.
Or they promised more than they could deliver. The difference is that you aren't forced to shop anywhere. And since when are government workers underpaid?

It also didn't help that GLOBAL WARMING has caused half of the country to be buried in ICE AND SNOW, thus slowing down transportation.

Just sayin'.

I ordered a bunch of stuff online from Amazon. EVERYTHING (eleven different packages to three different addresses) was delivered on time, on (or before) the expected delivery date.

When you ship out millions of items (like Amazon does), you WILL have at least some problems!

I got all my stuff ontime as well. I order within 5 days of christmas usually, and I get what I deserve if stuff comes late.

And here's the big difference between Amazon and ObamaCare...if the Amazon deliveries are late, Jeff Bezos doesn't blame the CEO of WalMart...

I got all my stuff ontime as well. I order within 5 days of christmas usually, and I get what I deserve if stuff comes late.

I ordered my son's main X-mas present on the 19th, 2 day air, and it STILL isn't here and when I look at the tracking there's all kind of nonsense on it. Stuff like a delivery date change requested and "business closed". It's a damn residence, there is no business. Supposed, according to the tracking info, it's in a city 80 miles from me and has been since the 23rd.

Bullspit on this crap. I'm on hold now with UPS............................

Considering you are not forced to use FedEx or UPS, or even Amazon or the other online retailers, the point does not hold water.

Plus these retailers are trying to make good on thier screw up. The government is basically telling those getting screwed by Obamacare to "buck up"

You're delusional - stop and think about what you wrote ("The government is basically telling those getting screwed by Obamacare to "buck up"), in October Healthcare.gov was barely working, today-----today there are very few problems - how does that equate to "getting screwed" and "buck[ing] up"?

Living in Seattle and having a wife that, before retiring, was a mukety-muck in the IT industry, I've been around a lot of rollouts in various industries Aerospace, Government, Healthcare, Finance etc, etc.
Big rollouts are SNAFU, a clean rollout of a big program is unusual but-----but that's not the point, the companies I cited in the title of this thread are mature companies, they should have planned better but-----but if you want to compare the birth-----the birth of healthcare.gov to mature companies... both FedEx and UPS are saying only a "small percentage" of packages are being affected, healthcare.gov OTOH will screw up at most 7% of the population and even then only if-----if everyone that tries to access healthcare.gov has a problem -pewsh!-

Remember this rollout, it affected nearly 10% of the population, and that's not even taking into consideration the families of the household bill payer...

...Bank of America Explains Web Site Problems - NYTimes.com

By NELSON D. SCHWARTZ
Published: October 5, 2011

After nearly a week of interruptions and slowdowns that made its Web site inaccessible at times, Bank of America said Wednesday the problems stemmed from a combination of heavy traffic along with the rollout of a new computer system.

With nearly 30 million online banking customers and the nation’s busiest bank Web site, the failures spurred consumer anger, with account holders in some cases unable to pay bills electronically or check their balances.

You're delusional - stop and think about what you wrote ("The government is basically telling those getting screwed by Obamacare to "buck up"), in October Healthcare.gov was barely working, today-----today there are very few problems - how does that equate to "getting screwed" and "buck[ing] up"?

Living in Seattle and having a wife that, before retiring, was a mukety-muck in the IT industry, I've been around a lot of rollouts in various industries Aerospace, Government, Healthcare, Finance etc, etc.
Big rollouts are SNAFU, a clean rollout of a big program is unusual but-----but that's not the point, the companies I cited in the title of this thread are mature companies, they should have planned better but-----but if you want to compare the birth-----the birth of healthcare.gov to mature companies... both FedEx and UPS are saying only a "small percentage" of packages are being affected, healthcare.gov OTOH will screw up at most 7% of the population and even then only if-----if everyone that tries to access healthcare.gov has a problem -pewsh!-

Remember this rollout, it affected nearly 10% of the population, and that's not even taking into consideration the families of the household bill payer...

...Bank of America Explains Web Site Problems - NYTimes.com

By NELSON D. SCHWARTZ
Published: October 5, 2011

After nearly a week of interruptions and slowdowns that made its Web site inaccessible at times, Bank of America said Wednesday the problems stemmed from a combination of heavy traffic along with the rollout of a new computer system.

With nearly 30 million online banking customers and the nation’s busiest bank Web site, the failures spurred consumer anger, with account holders in some cases unable to pay bills electronically or check their balances.

People can GO TO ANOTHER FUCKING BANK if BOA continues to provide poor service. If you want to get healthcare through the exchanges, oh wait, some people HAVE to get health care through the exchanges, you have to muddle through, there is no competitor.

and font/color changes are the sign of either an asshole, a moron, or both. stop doing it.

The Amazon.com/Fed-ex/UPS stuff is regional I think.

I ordered 5 items for Tuesday delivery on Sunday and everything came in as promised.

Forum List

Back