Federal Reserve Raises Interest Rates By 25 Basis Points

It is true no bank could handle a full bank run meltdown. However, it can calm the depositors if they are informed that the bank is well-capitalized.
I think that is what banks are doing now to hedge their interest rate risk. They are borrowing money from the Fed.
While you pointed out that the Fed charges around 4 percent, that is still cheaper than the going rate anywhere else.
What no one knows is how well hedged all these banks are against the interest rate risk. I think SVB and First Republic inform us "not at all".
Not to interrupt the very cool bank discussion. But I'd like to pose a question,
Since SVB was termed "the democrat's ATM", and FTX donated millions to democrats, does politics enter into the bank failure discussion?
If one of the failed banks was from TX, or FL, or KS I'd say politics doesn't matter.
Does politics matter? Is that why SVB got backstopped instead of let go bankrupt?

Not to interrupt the very cool bank discussion. But I'd like to pose a question,
Since SVB was termed "the democrat's ATM", and FTX donated millions to democrats, does politics enter into the bank failure discussion?
If one of the failed banks was from TX, or FL, or KS I'd say politics doesn't matter.
Does politics matter? Is that why SVB got backstopped instead of let go bankrupt?
"The Democrats ATM." That expression is for the consumption of the uninformed who have the intellectual bandwidth of a bumper sticker. It's a cheap tagline. It gives the ignorant something to parrot.

SVB's collapse had nothing to do with wokism, Democrats, the fleas on a whore's back, or the alcohol content of rum.

SVB collapsed because in 2020 they massively ramped up their interest rate risk. I looked at their financials, and they ramped up their bond holdings by 158 percent in 2020. In 2020, the interest rate on bonds hit bottom. When the Fed began raising interest rates a year ago, all those bonds SVB bought in 2020 became virtually worthless.

SVB's deposits were mostly VC money deposited by the recipients of that money. Basically, some wannabe inventor in Silicon Valley sold a pitch to venture capitalists, and those venture capitalists gave them a buttload of money to develop those ideas. That money was then deposited in SVB.

I don't know exactly what triggered a bank run at SVB. I think in the beginning it was just depositors realizing they could get better interest rates on their deposits at another bank since interest rates are higher. SVB could not raise the interest rate they paid to their depositors because they had sunk their depositor money into bonds that are now virtually worthless. You can't pay your depositors a higher rate than what you are getting on their money you invested.

Then all it would take is for word of mouth to spread that something is wrong at SVB and you get a bank run.

As of mid-2022, US banks had $10.5 trillion in uninsured deposits, and only $7.4 trillion insured.

Note the big jump at the onset of the pandemic. That's your Fed stimulus at work, and various US government stimulus programs.

uninsured-chart.png
That's too simplified. Savings increased by a much larger percentage than the percentage of disposable income increased by the fed stimulus. It's not even close, really. Much more significant was the decrease.in household spending.

That's too simplified. Savings increased by a much larger percentage than the percentage of disposable income increased by the fed stimulus. It's not even close, really. Much more significant was the decrease.in household spending.
Uninsured deposits are those which exceed $250,000. It is not the common man's money. It is the 1 percent's money.

"The Democrats ATM." That expression is for the consumption of the uninformed who have the intellectual bandwidth of a bumper sticker. It's a cheap tagline. It gives the ignorant something to parrot.
SVB's collapse had nothing to do with wokism, Democrats, the fleas on a whore's back, or the alcohol content of rum.

SVB collapsed because in 2020 they massively ramped up their interest rate risk. I looked at their financials, and they ramped up their bond holdings by 158 percent in 2020. In 2020, the interest rate on bonds hit bottom. When the Fed began raising interest rates a year ago, all those bonds SVB bought in 2020 became virtually worthless.

SVB's deposits were mostly VC money deposited by the recipients of that money. Basically, some wannabe inventor in Silicon Valley sold a pitch to venture capitalists, and those venture capitalists gave them a buttload of money to develop those ideas. That money was then deposited in SVB.

I don't know exactly what triggered a bank run at SVB. I think in the beginning it was just depositors realizing they could get better interest rates on their deposits at another bank since interest rates are higher. SVB could not raise the interest rate they paid to their depositors because they had sunk their depositor money into bonds that are now virtually worthless. You can't pay your depositors a higher rate than what you are getting on their money you invested. Then all it would take is for word of mouth to spread that something is wrong at SVB and you get a bank run.
1. Were the Board members of SVB experienced knowledgeable bankers or democrat hacks? Hint: hacks

2. So what did other banks do that SVB didn't do? Buy US Treasury bonds? Buy junk bonds? Buy municipal bonds? Buy CDs? Keep more cash on hand?

3. I don't think US Bonds can become worthless, worth less sure, but not zero.

I don't know exactly what triggered a bank run at SVB. I think in the beginning it was just depositors realizing they could get better interest rates on their deposits at another bank since interest rates are higher. SVB could not raise the interest rate they paid to their depositors because they had sunk their depositor money into bonds that are now virtually worthless. You can't pay your depositors a higher rate than what you are getting on their money you invested.

Then all it would take is for word of mouth to spread that something is wrong at SVB and you get a bank run.

When the Fed began raising interest rates a year ago, all those bonds SVB bought in 2020 became virtually worthless.

They dropped in value. They're hardly worthless.

1. Were the Board members of SVB experienced knowledgeable bankers or democrat hacks? Hint: hacks
Name them.

Particularly, name the CEO, COO, and CFO.

Then show me they were inexperienced Democrat hacks. You are buying into the bogus bumper sticker tagline.

Last edited:
Were the Board members of SVB experienced knowledgeable bankers or democrat hacks? …

So what did other banks do that SVB didn't do? …

You ask reasonable questions. First: The people who actually run a bank are the corporate officers. Board Members are there “officially” to provide oversight and guidance but usually just to provide interface and connections. Few of the SVB Board Members or their top officers were experienced bankers, and they did not at all “hedge” their long-term bond investments — not that that would likely have saved them.

These officers were not “Democratic Hacks” per se but they certainly were very good at appealing to some very rich types who wanted to make money by investing in “new tech” firms and in offering loans and simple banking services to small Silicon Valley companies — which themselves had few experienced corporate CFOs.

The milieu of course is liberal and so of course they played the game, just as regional bankers in Texas have to be conservative and stay friends with the oil industry biggies and state politicians and countless “old boy” clubs. SVB grew too big too fast and there was little government oversight to keep them in line.

Finally a number of their own prominent clients saw how exposed the bank was, withdrew their own cash, and used the internet to tell the whole Silicon Valley community the gig was coming apart. Everybody tried to flee and SVB was doomed.

The thing to remember is that “Bank Runs” are not unusual when changes in credit conditions cause panic and fear, and even big, old, traditional and very Conservative banks like Credit Suisse will falter if they lose many of their investors.

A sad story, but nothing especially unusual … unfortunately. :(

Last edited:

Federal Reserve raises benchmark rate by 0.25 point despite bank turmoil

God knows how many more billions of dollars of bonds just sank beneath the waves.

The Fed was looking at 50 basis points, but I guess the banking crisis gave them some second thoughts.

Federal Reserve Raises Interest Rates By 25 Basis Points​

Well at least fuel is cheap….OH WAIT!
At least food is cheap….OH WAIT!
At least home values are stable….OH WAIT!
At least the stock market isn’t volatile.…OH WAIT!
At least our border is closed to thirdworld cockroaches…OH WAIT!
At least we aren’t engaged in war with a world super power….OH WAIT!
At least we aren’t forcing two super powers to gang up on us.…OH WAIT!
At least the future looks bright under Democrat rule….OH WAIT!
Well….at least the feelings of weirdos, faggots, rug munchers, chicks with dicks, feminazis, criminals, illegals and taxpayer dependent bottom feeders aren’t hurt.
Mac1958 Golfing Gator dblack pknopp

Last edited:

Federal Reserve Raises Interest Rates By 25 Basis Points​

Well at least fuel is cheap….OH WAIT!
At least food is cheap….OH WAIT!
At least home values are stable….OH WAIT!
At least the stock market isn’t volatile.…OH WAIT!
At least our border is closed to thirdworld cockroaches…OH WAIT!
At least we aren’t engaged in war with a world super power….OH WAIT!
At least we aren’t forcing two super powers to gang up on us.…OH WAIT!
At least the future looks bright under Democrat rule….OH WAIT!
Well….at least the feelings of weirdos, faggots, rug munchers, chicks with dicks, feminazis, criminals, illegals and taxpayer dependent bottom feeders aren’t hurt.
Mac1958 Golfing Gator dblack pknopp
I would love to know: If the GOP can fix all that, why is it going out of its way to annoy American voters as much as possible by electing ignorant, embarrassing clowns who spend virtually all their time acting like juvenile middle school playground bullies?

That is, actually, a sincere question, since I have so many disagreements with the Dems. But I'm not asking you, because you appear to be simply incapable of normal, honest, adult conversation. You behave as I describe above. It appears to be all you know.

Maybe one day I'll get an honest, interesting, illuminating answer to that. From someone. Probably not here.

Last edited:
Name them.
Particularly, name the CEO, COO, and CFO.
Then show me they were inexperienced Democrat hacks. You are buying into the bogus bumper sticker tagline.
The SVB Board link won't load, but here is a link to backup my assertion

Article on Biden's banking history as a FEderal pol from the state of DuPont, er, 'Delaware' ...

Biden did not create this system, but he used his influence to strengthen and protect it. He cast key votes that deregulated the banking industry, made it harder for individuals to escape their credit card debts and student loans, and protected his state’s status as a corporate bankruptcy hub.

Biden’s career in the Senate placed him on the wrong side of some of the biggest financial fights of his generation and brought him into conflict with some of the same rivals he faces today. If you want to understand how Biden became Biden, you have to understand how Delaware became Delaware.

When the Fed began raising interest rates a year ago, all those bonds SVB bought in 2020 became virtually worthless.

They dropped in value. They're hardly worthless.
Strictly true.

But in the scheme of an ALLM report, they bascially then had "negative" worth. They were money losers, draining the capital. SVB was borrowing daily from other banks at an ever-increasing target rate, just to keep the lights on and maintain the spread. Even if there were no depositor run on SVB, they were basically doomed. As I understand it.

The SVB Board link won't load, but here is a link to backup my assertion

The NY Post is a shit MAGA rag. They claim there was only one "real banker on board".

Complete and total horseshit. They fed you a shovelful of manufactured bullshit and you gobbled it right down.

I'm sorry your google-fu sucks.

The CEO of SVB was Gregory Becker.

Here is his wiki page: Gregory W. Becker - Wikipedia

As you can see, he is an experienced banker. Not a hack.

The COO of SVB was Phil Cox.

Here is his c.v.: Phil Cox - Chief Operations Officer

Again, very very experienced banker. Not a hack.

The CFO of SVB was Daniel Beck.

His background can be found here along with the President Michael Descheneaux:

Beck joins SVB Financial Group from Bancwest Corp. where he was CFO and Treasurer and a member of the executive management committee. Previously, he was CFO of Bank of the West and the bank’s controller. In his former positions, Beck was responsible for leadership of the finance function, along with large scale transformation programs. He managed the relationships and communication with the parent company, regulators, rating agencies and management and he also played a lead role in the company’s successful submission of its first Comprehensive Capital Analysis and Review (CCAR) stress test. Prior to joining Bancwest, Beck held financial positions at Wells Fargo and Freddie Mac and worked at Deloitte & Touche and E*Trade Financial Corporation earlier in his career. Beck earned a bachelor’s degree in accounting from Virginia Commonwealth University and a bachelor’s degree in biology from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.

All of them were experienced bankers. Not hacks.

Stop buying into the bumper sticker bullshit you are being fed. Why do you fools keep doing that?

Last edited:
The Federal Reserve has determined there are about $620 billion of unrealized losses in the US banking system.

And that is just here in the US. If you've been watching the news, Credit Suisse is being bailed out and Deutsche Bank is starting to look shaky.

The Fed has already printed $540 billion in the past couple of weeks to rescue just a few banks. SVB was only $17 billion of that, but guess what MAGA world has all the rubes focused on. They are forging a bullshit narrative which relies on the ignorance of their audience.

I think we might see some more mid-size or small banks implode in the near future.

unrealized-gains.jpg

The NY Post is a shit MAGA rag. They claim there was only one "real banker on board".
Complete and total horseshit. They fed you a shovelful of manufactured bullshit and you gobbled it right down.

The CEO of SVB was Gregory Becker.
Here is his wiki page: Gregory W. Becker - Wikipedia
As you can see, he is an experienced banker. Not a hack.

The COO of SVB was Phil Cox.
Here is his c.v.: Phil Cox - Chief Operations Officer
Again, very very experienced banker. Not a hack.

The CFO of SVB was Daniel Beck.
His background can be found here along with the President Michael Descheneaux:

Beck joins SVB Financial Group from Bancwest Corp. where he was CFO and Treasurer and a member of the executive management committee. Previously, he was CFO of Bank of the West and the bank’s controller. In his former positions, Beck was responsible for leadership of the finance function, along with large scale transformation programs. He managed the relationships and communication with the parent company, regulators, rating agencies and management and he also played a lead role in the company’s successful submission of its first Comprehensive Capital Analysis and Review (CCAR) stress test. Prior to joining Bancwest, Beck held financial positions at Wells Fargo and Freddie Mac and worked at Deloitte & Touche and E*Trade Financial Corporation earlier in his career. Beck earned a bachelor’s degree in accounting from Virginia Commonwealth University and a bachelor’s degree in biology from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
All of them were experienced bankers. Not hacks.
Stop buying into the bumper sticker bullshit you are being fed. Why do you fools keep doing that?
What you post says that the Board was competent, and we know that they were NOT, otherwise they wouldn't have failed.
Your bankers sold their stock before the collapse, that was smart, but still, SVB collapsed.
There are too many successful banks thriving to point to the Fed as a problem.
SVB management failed, whether as experienced bankers, or as political hacks.

Your new post #136 above seems to say that there are many other banks borrowing from the Fed to stay afloat.
I'm not seeing a major cause for the problem.
In 2008 it was the bad loans pushed by the Community Reinvestment Act that killed the banks.
The Fed raising interest rates is NOT an unusual event.

The Federal Reserve has determined there are about $620 billion of unrealized losses in the US banking system.

And that is just here in the US. If you've been watching the news, Credit Suisse is being bailed out and Deutsche Bank is starting to look shaky.

The Fed has already printed $540 billion in the past couple of weeks to rescue just a few banks. SVB was only $17 billion of that, but guess what MAGA world has all the rubes focused on. They are forging a bullshit narrative which relies on the ignorance of their audience.

I think we might see some more mid-size or small banks implode in the near future.

unrealized-gains.jpg

Deutsche Bank is starting to look shaky.

They've been shaky for over a decade.

They are forging a bullshit narrative which relies on the ignorance of their audience.

Outrageous! Only leftists are allowed to do that!!!

Fed should not being manipulating American finances over an arbitrary “magic line” 2% inflation rates
It’s exactly like when CDC tried to control the air.

Forum List

Back