FBI's HRT/SWAT team to move in on Nigerian hostage takers???

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Just saw this on the news...word is, the FBI's elite HRT team is on ground in Africa, possibly prepping to make a move on the Nigerian hostage takers.

I love nothing more than seeing exceptional operations in military/law enforcement, and this would be right up there with the most daring ones. FBI HRT is the FBI's equivalent of a SWAT team, and they are world class. Just to try out...you have to have extensive experience as a police SWAT team member or military special operations member, and just the try-out is a 2 week boot camp style hell, and that's just to earn the chance to enroll in the HRT school. They are the best of the best outside of the SEALS, Delta, etc. Most are former members of those groups, as well as former SWAT members from places like LAPD, NYPD, etc.

What do you all think? Should HRT make a move and rescue those girls? Is it legal??? With permission from the Nigerian government, it is.

Is HRT the right unit to try this? I know the SEALS do a lot of hostage rescue work. But HRT is literally called the "Hostage Rescue Team". While they do lots of other stuff, hostage rescue is their bread and butter.

This could be a spectacular American moment of glory...right there with the Captain Phillips/SEAL rescue or the Boston marathon terrorist hunt.

Could be if it's true the problem could be are all the girls in one place it seems unlikely they would keep all of them all together if there not and you rescue just some of them what might these animals do to the rest?

FBI has no Constitutional authority to operate outside the US, that's why we have a military, blurring the lines between the two is not a good precedent to set. I'm all for helping out Nigeria if they will allow us to use our drones to go after these guys in the long term.

FBI has no Constitutional authority to operate outside the US, that's why we have a military, blurring the lines between the two is not a good precedent to set. I'm all for helping out Nigeria if they will allow us to use our drones to go after these guys in the long term.

So by that logic, the CIA should not operate anywhere outside the US either? CIA is not military, and Im pretty sure most of our drones killing terrorists are CIA drones. And DEA shouldn't operate in South America?

Hell, if we are going strictly Constitutional, it doesn't say anything about federal law enforcement, only that we can have an Army.

Anytime we advocate STRICT adherence to the Constitution, we run into problems that common sense would say shouldn't be a problem. Like how the Constitution doesn't allow for federal firefighters. But, the feds pay firefighters all the time to help states and rural counties with big forest fires.

The Constitution says we should just let those counties burn on their own unless they can find a way to fix it themselves.

Last edited:
So by that logic, the CIA should not operate anywhere outside the US either? CIA is not military, and Im pretty sure most of our drones killing terrorists are CIA drones. And DEA shouldn't operate in South America?

Hell, if we are going strictly Constitutional, it doesn't say anything about federal law enforcement, only that we can have an Army.

Anytime we advocate STRICT adherence to the Constitution, we run into problems that common sense would say shouldn't be a problem. Like how the Constitution doesn't allow for federal firefighters. But, the feds pay firefighters all the time to help states and rural counties with big forest fires.

The Constitution says we should just let those counties burn on their own unless they can find a way to fix it themselves.

Hence, the reason we were given a process to amend it.

The CIA is forbidden from operating inside the US, to be accurate.

The CIA is tasked with combating external threats to this country. The FBI is tasked with combating internal threats to this country. The CIA is also a paramilitary organization tasked to assist foreign nations.

Exactly, and the lines have become blurred with both the fbi and the cia in recent years, in my opinion.

Just saw this on the news...word is, the FBI's elite HRT team is on ground in Africa, possibly prepping to make a move on the Nigerian hostage takers.

I love nothing more than seeing exceptional operations in military/law enforcement, and this would be right up there with the most daring ones. FBI HRT is the FBI's equivalent of a SWAT team, and they are world class. Just to try out...you have to have extensive experience as a police SWAT team member or military special operations member, and just the try-out is a 2 week boot camp style hell, and that's just to earn the chance to enroll in the HRT school. They are the best of the best outside of the SEALS, Delta, etc. Most are former members of those groups, as well as former SWAT members from places like LAPD, NYPD, etc.

What do you all think? Should HRT make a move and rescue those girls? Is it legal??? With permission from the Nigerian government, it is.

Is HRT the right unit to try this? I know the SEALS do a lot of hostage rescue work. But HRT is literally called the "Hostage Rescue Team". While they do lots of other stuff, hostage rescue is their bread and butter.

This could be a spectacular American moment of glory...right there with the Captain Phillips/SEAL rescue or the Boston marathon terrorist hunt.

You saw that on the news? Why does the news in your house show things that no one else in the universe sees?

Glory?
My prob is these things always come back to bite our ass. Invariably we gore someone's ox and whatever good will was due us goes right out the window.
Let them fix their broken systems ... this does not impact America's interests.
Perhaps an African swat team should step in and help.

But CIA is not military. So....where in the Constitution does it say we can have a civilian spy agency, in or out of our borders?

But CIA is not military. So....where in the Constitution does it say we can have a civilian spy agency, in or out of our borders?

I have no idea. I'm not a Constitutional scholar.

That doesn't change the fact that FBI is forbidden from operating outside of the country, and the CIA forbidden from operating inside of the country.

I'm not making a Constitutional argument, I'm making a "reality of this country" argument.

That doesn't change the fact that FBI is forbidden from operating outside of the country, and the CIA forbidden from operating inside of the country.

I'm not making a Constitutional argument, I'm making a "reality of this country" argument.

The FBI is permitted to operate outside of the country, but only to thwart internal threats to our country (i.e. U.S. Citizens involved in gun-running and drug smuggling).

I guess this is Obamas effort to charge that this is a criminal act and not an act of terror. This also explains why these guys aren't labeled a terrorist organization by this administration and why they sent the FBI to Benghazi.

The FBI is permitted to operate outside of the country, but only to thwart internal threats to our country (i.e. U.S. Citizens involved in gun-running and drug smuggling).

Aha. That makes sense - more so than my initial impression. It would be ridiculous if the FBI was chasing someone, and then had to turn the investigation over to the CIA the minute their target got on a plane.

Nothing going on in this has anything to do with a US threat. We shouldn't be there in any capacity.

Nothing going on in this has anything to do with a US threat. We shouldn't be there in any capacity.

I disagree. I think it's perfectly valid to send some of our best to help those in need. It's a good projection of power (definitely in our best national interests) and it allows us to solve a humanitarian crisis also.

I disagree. I think it's perfectly valid to send some of our best to help those in need. It's a good projection of power (definitely in our best national interests) and it allows us to solve a humanitarian crisis also.

It is a feel-good op but this is a Nigerian problem and, as is almost always the case, we will engender more resentment than good will. Only the families of the victims will appreciate our involvement and only if we bring 'em back alive. Has Nigeria even asked for our help?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back