Favorite PC Game

I am interested in real time strategy games for PC like Civilization series or Hearts of Iron, some medium difficult, but not too casual.
Civ is turn based, not RTS. I have not played Hearts of Iron, but I was told it is by the makers of Gettysburb, which I enjoy, but that is not RTS either.

Age of Empires is generally thought of as the mold. . .

I have a game that I have not really invested a lot of time in. . . but I have when I have that itch which is considered the latest state of the art in RTS, Total War: Warhammer II.

Other than that, AoE is usually that fall back for me.

The 10 Best Real-Time Strategy PC Games

I am interested in real time strategy games for PC like Civilization series or Hearts of Iron, some medium difficult, but not too casual.
Civ is turn based, not RTS. I have not played Hearts of Iron, but I was told it is by the makers of Gettysburb, which I enjoy, but that is not RTS either.

I have a game that I have not really invested a lot of time in. . . but I have when I have that itch which is considered the latest state of the art in RTS, Total War: Warhammer II.

Hearts of Iron is RTS but has a setting for real slow and is pausable.

Hearts of Iron is RTS but has a setting for real slow and is pausable.
Yeah.. . if I remember right, Gettysburg was too. . . it was pretty cool, very involved. Hard to do right.

Civ is not an RTS. That would be a 4x type game.

There are a LOT of those games out there and most pretty decent. Particularly civ clones as civ is the current pinnacle of that genera. That is a fantastic series, one of my favorite series.

Top 5 in no particular order: (leaving out the obvious ones like quake or TF otherwise the list is boring)

• dragon's dogma. : Best magic system in any RPG, an open-world RPG with decent combat (literally unheard of), amazing mini-bosses and boss music, different classes with very different playstyles each well thought out to make sure there's something GOOD for everyone (the thing every RPG with classes promises but none ever manage to do). The expansion is a whole other game with another 50+ hours of meaningful gameplay and exploration and really ramps up the challenge.

• The surge: Souls-like game with excellent combat, a high skill cap (some mechanics aren't explained in the tutorial but there's mechanics like timing your button presses in sync with the previous hit to use less stamina), different move sets (including character movement in combat) for each weapon. It's the only souls-like game that actually makes good on the otherwise cringy idea of getting good. The mechanics are super consistent so you're never fighting controls or wonky hitboxes or unintuitive parry windows. Mistakes are punished but since it's so consistent you can learn to never make mistakes. The loot system is also brilliant. Knocking pieces off of enemies by targetting limbs to gather crafting recipes and materials for each set and weapon. It allows for a wide variety of sets and weapons while not resulting in RNG or grittiness.

• Factorio: Perfect transition from micro to macro, lots to plan and optimize, and good visual feedback and representation of your designs.

• Trackmania (canyon): Deterministic physics, perfect controls allowing for high precision arcade driving, enormous skullcap, perfect frame pacing and low input lag, endless courses to learn thanks to course builder and community aspect of the game.

• Hollow knight: Metroidvania perfection. Everything from the combat to art to music to exploration is perfect. I'm curious how they could possibly improve in the sequel.

There's some older stuff I loved like red alert 2, painkiller (stake gun still the most fun weapon in any shooter), cs up to patch 1.5 (1.6 and everything after added random deviation on first shot and ended what made cs gunplay satisfying), tribes, roll cage II but with a few exceptions the controls and mechanics haven't held up that well.

In my free time I like to read blogs and articles on various topics from music and movies to online games on this topic. And I can recommend you one article that I read today visit link How 2021 has influenced the future of the gaming industry | Invest It Wisely. I really liked the article itself, it turned out to be very useful and informative, and how the author presents information, everything is clear and understandable, I learned about new chips and gambling techniques. What other changes await us in the world of gambling and what should be expected from the slot machine manufacturers this year. For those who are interested in technology and gambling, I advise you to read. I am sure you will highlight a lot of new and interesting things for yourself!

Civ is not an RTS. That would be a 4x type game.

There are a LOT of those games out there and most pretty decent. Particularly civ clones as civ is the current pinnacle of that genera. That is a fantastic series, one of my favorite series.
On a related note ...

Sid Meier and the Meaning of “Civilization”​

How one video game tells the story of an industry.
Civ is also one of my favorites, but haven't much time to play games lately.

Empire Earth was king of them all. Supreme Commander is #2.

Empire Earth was king of them all. Supreme Commander is #2.

Totally and completely loved, loved loved EE.

Raised my kid on that and AOE.

He ended up buying that STEAM version of AOE2. He complained that they never really made a good RTS game after EE, AOE, and AOE2. I searched a long time and found Supreme Commander 2 and bought it for him one year for one of his Christmas presents. He liked it, I think maybe he wasn't into it as much as he could have been, mostly because we had already discovered Company of Heroes. So, between that and Rise of Nations, the Supreme Commander took back seat till the second and third gen Total War games came out.

I mostly play MMORPG's now, but my kid still favors the RTS, and that is his game, a TOTAL WAR game, that is what all the RTS fans out there go to now, hell, the trailer has over a billion views. It is probably the top RTS now, with of course, the exception of Starcraft II.

Totally and completely loved, loved loved EE.

Raised my kid on that and AOE.

He ended up buying that STEAM version of AOE2. He complained that they never really made a good RTS game after EE, AOE, and AOE2. I searched a long time and found Supreme Commander 2 and bought it for him one year for one of his Christmas presents. He liked it, I think maybe he wasn't into it as much as he could have been, mostly because we had already discovered Company of Heroes. So, between that and Rise of Nations, the Supreme Commander took back seat till the second and third gen Total War games came out.

I mostly play MMORPG's now, but my kid still favors the RTS, and that is his game, a TOTAL WAR game, that is what all the RTS fans out there go to now, hell, the trailer has over a billion views. It is probably the top RTS now, with of course, the exception of Starcraft II.

That's the thing.

Between the Total War games and CoH the old school RTS's just don't hold up. I admit the Total War games aren't true RTS's - but Shogun II is probably the finest war game ever made.

That's the thing.

Between the Total War games and CoH the old school RTS's just don't hold up. I admit the Total War games aren't true RTS's - but Shogun II is probably the finest war game ever made.
The only probably I had with Shogun II versus the WarHammer, and TBH? We haven't even tried to see if the WarHammer has solved the issue, the kid has been too busy with college, and I haven't taken the time to learn the WarHammer story and system, but the Shogun II always went out of sync. late game for multiplayer. That was a always a HUGE disappointment. I'm just a bit hesitant to put in the time, only to find out they still have a sync issue late game, after throwing in a couple days investment into it. :rolleyes:

None of them could handle multiplayer like AOE1,2 or 3 and the EE series. Hell, even Rise of Nations and Stronghold did a better job of incorporating multiplayer than the Total War series ever did.

. . . If I remember right, the first CoH didn't even have a multiplayer option. But, like you say, they weren't even true RTS. The only ones of that next genre that came close, was the God of War series, and that was stretching it. At least it handled multi better.

Forum List

Back