Favorite Actors of All-Time

I was thinking more of "All About Eve" or "The Letter", but yeah, she was great in "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte". She blew me away in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" too. Okay, you're right...she was fabulous. I guess I should have listed her as onna my Top 10.

Bogart and Hepburn Their performance in the African Queen is the greatest movie ever made.

Clint Eastwood

Kate Winslet

Drew Barrymore

John Wayne

Julie Andrews

Tom Hanks

Jack Nicholson

Will Smith

Jim Carrey

Sandra Bullock

How can ya stop at ten.....?????
Ollie,

I would have guessed your Number One favorite to be Clint Eastwood. But I give you points for picking Kate Winslet. That woman makes me wish I were sixty-five again.

She's a fine actress, likes to take her clothes off, and what she's got is worth fighting for.

Roddy McDowell
John Wayne
Jimmy Stewart
Judy Garland
Maureen OSullivan
Spencer Tracy
Katheryn Hepburn
Humfrey Bogart
Elizabeth Taylor
Richard Burton

I think the sad thing about Judy Garland's career is that it was kind of "taken over" as a "gay icon" thing. She appeared in two classic American movies, "Wizard of Oz" and "Meet me in St. Louis" (the most popular movie among GI's during WWII). She was gypped out of an Oscar for both "A Star is Born" and "Judgement at Nuremberg". She probably should have been nominated for "The Clock" and "A Child is Waiting".

But it was probably her singing talents that did her in. Because of her brilliant singing, she was typecast in "musical comedy". She was actually the first pick for "The Three Faces of Eve", but was going through her own battles with drugs and mental illness. I think if she hadn't been taken over as an "icon", she would have been looked at in a more serious way.

At work, I was talking to a young engineer who asked me about which old movies would I recommend. He had never heard of Spencer Tracy, Humfrey Bogart, Katherine Hepburn, Richard Burton or John Wayne from your list. He only knew Elizabeth Taylor as a woman who sold "perfume". But he knew Judy Garland from the "Wizard of Oz". Even his own kids love that movie and he said they watch the DVD over and over again.

What that showed me is how fleeting fame.

Roddy McDowell
John Wayne
Jimmy Stewart
Judy Garland
Maureen OSullivan
Spencer Tracy
Katheryn Hepburn
Humfrey Bogart
Elizabeth Taylor
Richard Burton

I think the sad thing about Judy Garland's career is that it was kind of "taken over" as a "gay icon" thing. She appeared in two classic American movies, "Wizard of Oz" and "Meet me in St. Louis" (the most popular movie among GI's during WWII). She was gypped out of an Oscar for both "A Star is Born" and "Judgement at Nuremberg". She probably should have been nominated for "The Clock" and "A Child is Waiting".

But it was probably her singing talents that did her in. Because of her brilliant singing, she was typecast in "musical comedy". She was actually the first pick for "The Three Faces of Eve", but was going through her own battles with drugs and mental illness. I think if she hadn't been taken over as an "icon", she would have been looked at in a more serious way.

At work, I was talking to a young engineer who asked me about which old movies would I recommend. He had never heard of Spencer Tracy, Humfrey Bogart, Katherine Hepburn, Richard Burton or John Wayne from your list. He only knew Elizabeth Taylor as a woman who sold "perfume". But he knew Judy Garland from the "Wizard of Oz". Even his own kids love that movie and he said they watch the DVD over and over again.

If I could have added another one, it would have been "Mickey Rooney"...He and Judy Garland did a lot of those old Andy Hardy movies...they were pretty good and always uplifting. Then again, I liked Annette and Frankie in all those beach movies too.

Name your 10 favorite actors/actresses of all-time.

Here's mine in no particular order.

- Robert De Niro
- Al Pacino
- John Wayne
- Clint Eastwood
- Audrey Hepburn
- Tom Hanks
- Johnny Depp
- Jack Nicholson
- Meryl Streep
- Vivien Leigh

Robert Mitchum

Lee (Emperor of the North) Marvin

and more...

Wizard of Oz was her best movie. Her second best was In the Good Old Summertime which was a remake of The Shop Around the Corner which spawned the cheesy, watered-down lame-ass Hollywood version with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan many years later.

Judy Garland was an extremely talented woman even from an early age. She was brilliant.

Name your 10 favorite actors/actresses of all-time.

Here's mine in no particular order.

- Robert De Niro
- Al Pacino
- John Wayne
- Clint Eastwood
- Audrey Hepburn
- Tom Hanks
- Johnny Depp
- Jack Nicholson
- Meryl Streep
- Vivien Leigh
Andy Devine
Robert Duvall
William Defoe
Will Smith
Daniel Day Lewis
Samual Jackson
Brad Pitt
Tom cruise
woody Harrilson
Gene Hackman

Bogie
Sidney Greenstreet
Barry Fitzgerald
Spencer Tracy
Betty Bacall (you know how to whistle don't you, just put your lips together and blow) ..."To have and have not".

Bronson Pinchot (Balki Bartokomous from Perfect Strangers)
Matt Passmore (Jim Longworth from A&E's The Glades)
Uriah Shelton (Jeff Cargill from A&E's The Glades)
Will Estes (Jamie Regan from Blue Bloods)
Donnie Wahlberg (Danny Regan from Blue Bloods)
Montana Jordan (George Jr. Cooper from Young Sheldon)
Iain Armitage (Sheldon Cooper from Young Sheldon)
Tim Allen (Tim Taylor from Home Improvement and Mike Baxter from Last Man Standing)
Tom Selleck (Frank Regan from Blue Bloods)
Chuck Norris (Cordell Walker from Walker, Texas Ranger)

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

Ugh...Meryl Streep. That broad has phoned in the same performance in every movie she's ever done. WTF is her popularity about? Acting is more than a crappy foreign accent and that insipid dripping tear thing she does.

So, the "Devil Wears Prada" and "Death Becomes Her", both comedies, are the "same performance"?

As Nora Ephron in Heartburn or poor haunted Sophie, in Sophie's Choice, it's all the same performance?

My List:

Meryl Streep
Maggie Smith because her performance as Lady McBeth at Stratford, when I was a 20 something, was rivetting
Mae West - way ahead of her time
Ingrid Bergman - because Casablanca is my favourite movie
Susan Sarandon for her roles, not her politics.

Brad Pitt - so underrated as an actor - see Kalifornia
Leonardo DiCaprio - so versatile
Robert Redford
Paul Newman
Peter O'Toole - so many great roles but The Stunt Man is my personal favourite.

Forum List

Back