Faustian Bargains

Coyote, this thread has provided a vivid example of why this topic pushes me away from the Democratic Party.

When a right winger is accused of this stuff, the woman is automatically believed, and the man is automatically condemned. The story is leveraged as just another example of the bigotry and misogyny that infect essentially the entire GOP. "Me Too" takes off, and anyone on the Right who dares to whisper a discouraging word is summarily vilified and lumped in with the accused perpetrator. The press goes nuts from DAY ONE, zeroing right in on it.

But when a LEFT winger is accused, suddenly we see nuance. We see a measured and thoughtful approach to the story, as the Left beseeches us to carefully weigh the facts and stories. Look at this thread: Rhapsodic pontificating on the Constitution, jurisprudence, and the critical importance of open-minded examination of all the evidence. And, of course, the press clearly avoids a comprehensive look at the story for as long as it thinks it possibly can.

This party has been pushing some of us away for quite a while. I still lean Left, I still want to vote Democrat (especially in the ugly Age of Trumpism) but for fuck's sake, there are limits. And interestingly, there are a lot of Progressives, on the other end of the Left spectrum from me, who are saying the same things. This party is fucked up right now.

Catastrophic. Are you confused, Mac? You can't realize the difference between a political fight on the one hand, and the fight for better protections of women against sexual assault and harassment? Democrats police themselves, and even go into some nuance to do so. That's terrible!

You are making me laugh. MeToo is, together with Black Lives Matter, the best thing to happen to the U.S. since the Voting Rights Act. They disturb your intellectual slumber, though, and it's all less than perfect, clear-cut and simple to implement. It would urge you to rethink comfortable positions, and it's a bit noisy, and messy, and complicated. So what? Go find yourself a knitting club, dummy.

Of course, a retarded sociopath who bragged about sexual assault is being condemned based on credible allegations confirming the braggart's own words. "Automatically". That's a good laugh. Kavanaugh proved himself to be disrespectful toward women, and temperamentally unsuited to be a Supreme Court Justice, during the Senate hearing. That were the main reasons, along with his rightarded, plutocratic juridical history. His history of sexual assault as a young drunkard is just the odious icing, the ornament on that unpalatable cake. "Automatically." Who on the "left" asked for that terrible, horrible "nuance" when dealing with Weinstein? Without MeToo, that swine would still roam the streets, because of a male-dominated, misogynistic justice system that in effect deemed women and girls fresh meat for glamorous, powerful men, and subjected them to endless humiliation and public exposure in case they dared to complain. Finally, at long last, that is changing.

Go cry me a river!
.... and, right on cue.

Yes, you made a bad false equivalence, and, surprise surprise, someone called it out. What's your next trick? Are you going to sat the sun sets in the east then say "i told you so" when someone corrects that?

Coyote, this thread has provided a vivid example of why this topic pushes me away from the Democratic Party.

When a right winger is accused of this stuff, the woman is automatically believed, and the man is automatically condemned. The story is leveraged as just another example of the bigotry and misogyny that infect essentially the entire GOP. "Me Too" takes off, and anyone on the Right who dares to whisper a discouraging word is summarily vilified and lumped in with the accused perpetrator. The press goes nuts from DAY ONE, zeroing right in on it.

But when a LEFT winger is accused, suddenly we see nuance. We see a measured and thoughtful approach to the story, as the Left beseeches us to carefully weigh the facts and stories. Look at this thread: Rhapsodic pontificating on the Constitution, jurisprudence, and the critical importance of open-minded examination of all the evidence. And, of course, the press clearly avoids a comprehensive look at the story for as long as it thinks it possibly can.

This party has been pushing some of us away for quite a while. I still lean Left, I still want to vote Democrat (especially in the ugly Age of Trumpism) but for fuck's sake, there are limits. And interestingly, there are a lot of Progressives, on the other end of the Left spectrum from me, who are saying the same things. This party is fucked up right now.

Catastrophic. Are you confused, Mac? You can't realize the difference between a political fight on the one hand, and the fight for better protections of women against sexual assault and harassment? Democrats police themselves, and even go into some nuance to do so. That's terrible!

You are making me laugh. MeToo is, together with Black Lives Matter, the best thing to happen to the U.S. since the Voting Rights Act. They disturb your intellectual slumber, though, and it's all less than perfect, clear-cut and simple to implement. It would urge you to rethink comfortable positions, and it's a bit noisy, and messy, and complicated. So what? Go find yourself a knitting club, dummy.

Of course, a retarded sociopath who bragged about sexual assault is being condemned based on credible allegations confirming the braggart's own words. "Automatically". That's a good laugh. Kavanaugh proved himself to be disrespectful toward women, and temperamentally unsuited to be a Supreme Court Justice, during the Senate hearing. That were the main reasons, along with his rightarded, plutocratic juridical history. His history of sexual assault as a young drunkard is just the odious icing, the ornament on that unpalatable cake. "Automatically." Who on the "left" asked for that terrible, horrible "nuance" when dealing with Weinstein? Without MeToo, that swine would still roam the streets, because of a male-dominated, misogynistic justice system that in effect deemed women and girls fresh meat for glamorous, powerful men, and subjected them to endless humiliation and public exposure in case they dared to complain. Finally, at long last, that is changing.

Go cry me a river!
.... and, right on cue.

Yes, you made a bad false equivalence, and, surprise surprise, someone called it out. What's your next trick? Are you going to sat the sun sets in the east then say "i told you so" when someone corrects that?
I'll just continue observe behaviors and comment on them.

If you don't like that, you may want to not read my posts.

Or do read them. I don't care. Sorry.

I'll just continue observe behaviors and comment on them
With false equivalences, hyperbole, and magnanimity.

Yes, we know.

I do get your point here. But your main error is painting the world in terms of over simplified monoliths.

Faustian bargain, a pact whereby a person trades something of supreme moral or spiritual importance, such as personal values or the soul, for some worldly or material benefit, such as knowledge, power, or riches.

Is that politics today?

First - a big shout out and thanks to Democrats for setting up impossible standards and today's standard of guilty until proven innocent with your "all women must be believed" and the weaponizing of sexual assault in a last ditch attempt to stop a Supreme Court nomination. You've shown us it's ok to smear a decent man publicly, if that is what it takes. That wasn't the way to do it and you've now set something in play the you can't stop.

Second - a big shout out and thanks to the Republicans who are willing to do anything and elect anything to office in order to preserve power. You have shown us it's ok for to elect a man with multiple lawsuits and allegations of sexual harassment, assault, and rape. You have shown us that lying, promoting senseless conspiracy theories, defending the indefensible and destroying the reputations of good public servants and our institutions of democracy to preserve a thin skinned idiot is worth any price.

Democrats - you've cemented in place, a trend. The result of that trend is no good decent man (and this applies more to men then women, though Hilary was subject to some of these types of attacks) - will run for office because all it takes is ALLEGATIONS - and the automatic presumption of guilt in situations that most of the time can't be proved one way or the other and never go to court or get settled in lawsuits. What good candidates have the armor, the courage, the ego or reputation to be willing to put themselves in that bullring? What does that leave us with? And now, it's all coming back on you.

Republicans - you've cemented in place a new NORM. Anything goes. If you have a majority, you can steal a Supreme Court nomination. You can push funds towards supporting and investigating baseless conspiracy theories. You get to redefine facts. You can destroy the reputations of public servants in the name of protecting your president. A faustian bargain indeed when you consider the traditional values of the party you have jettisoned in order to get power: fiscal conservatism, family values, morals.

The Democrats shot themselves in the foot with this one. The Republicans sold their souls.

I genuinely like Biden - as a person. I thought, and still think he's a fundamentally decent guy. Until he became a candidate none of this came up. But the accusations of pedophilia with no evidence hit well below the belt of being disgusting and it's shameless of to spread those kind of rumors about any man unless you have damn good evidence. Inappropriate touching? or comments? I can believe that. Intent behind them? Different people will say different things. Assault/rape? Less believable given the serious inconsistencies in Reade's account, no history in Biden's life, and no record of complaints. So what exactly is going on here? Well, in one way - Biden can thank his own party.

So what's your Faustian Bargain? Mine's easy. I'll vote for Biden if he is the candidate. I am not a Democrat and I am not a Republican, and I will not vote 3rd party. Why? Because the truth is - it will be a throw away vote and the price is too high to do that. Because in my view Trump is the most dangerous and incompetent president we've ever had. He is not only destroying our country, but our institutions. He is corrupting everything he touches and spreads lies every time he opens his mouth. Hyperbole? Maybe. But there is a basis of fact there.

Republicans: you have shown us you are willing to vote in someone with a record of allegations of harassment, rape, assault and it's ok. I will assume you fine with that in Biden and I will wait for you to defend him with your normal exclamations of "witch hunt" and "innocent until proven guilty" right?

Democrats: you have shown us "all women must be believed" regardless of evidence. I assume you will stand your ground here right? After you went after Kavanaugh publicly, rather than examine the allegations privately first?

I'm glad that Biden has called for personnel records to be released - if there was a formal complaint, there will be a record of it. I know how these things work.

It won't end there though. There will be a conspiracy theory if it isn't found. Wanna bet?

So, I've made my Faustian Bargain. What's yours?

All that crap in that little post...

When you have the votes you get to confirm or not confirm an appointment......so the Supreme Court crap is just that, crap.........the Senate is not required to put a nominee on the court, it doesn't say will appoint, it gives the Senate advice and consent power......you moron. When you have the votes you put your nominees in, just like obama did with those pretend judges kagan and sotomayer.....

Faustian bargain, a pact whereby a person trades something of supreme moral or spiritual importance, such as personal values or the soul, for some worldly or material benefit, such as knowledge, power, or riches.

Is that politics today?

First - a big shout out and thanks to Democrats for setting up impossible standards and today's standard of guilty until proven innocent with your "all women must be believed" and the weaponizing of sexual assault in a last ditch attempt to stop a Supreme Court nomination. You've shown us it's ok to smear a decent man publicly, if that is what it takes. That wasn't the way to do it and you've now set something in play the you can't stop.

Second - a big shout out and thanks to the Republicans who are willing to do anything and elect anything to office in order to preserve power. You have shown us it's ok for to elect a man with multiple lawsuits and allegations of sexual harassment, assault, and rape. You have shown us that lying, promoting senseless conspiracy theories, defending the indefensible and destroying the reputations of good public servants and our institutions of democracy to preserve a thin skinned idiot is worth any price.

Democrats - you've cemented in place, a trend. The result of that trend is no good decent man (and this applies more to men then women, though Hilary was subject to some of these types of attacks) - will run for office because all it takes is ALLEGATIONS - and the automatic presumption of guilt in situations that most of the time can't be proved one way or the other and never go to court or get settled in lawsuits. What good candidates have the armor, the courage, the ego or reputation to be willing to put themselves in that bullring? What does that leave us with? And now, it's all coming back on you.

Republicans - you've cemented in place a new NORM. Anything goes. If you have a majority, you can steal a Supreme Court nomination. You can push funds towards supporting and investigating baseless conspiracy theories. You get to redefine facts. You can destroy the reputations of public servants in the name of protecting your president. A faustian bargain indeed when you consider the traditional values of the party you have jettisoned in order to get power: fiscal conservatism, family values, morals.

The Democrats shot themselves in the foot with this one. The Republicans sold their souls.

I genuinely like Biden - as a person. I thought, and still think he's a fundamentally decent guy. Until he became a candidate none of this came up. But the accusations of pedophilia with no evidence hit well below the belt of being disgusting and it's shameless of to spread those kind of rumors about any man unless you have damn good evidence. Inappropriate touching? or comments? I can believe that. Intent behind them? Different people will say different things. Assault/rape? Less believable given the serious inconsistencies in Reade's account, no history in Biden's life, and no record of complaints. So what exactly is going on here? Well, in one way - Biden can thank his own party.

So what's your Faustian Bargain? Mine's easy. I'll vote for Biden if he is the candidate. I am not a Democrat and I am not a Republican, and I will not vote 3rd party. Why? Because the truth is - it will be a throw away vote and the price is too high to do that. Because in my view Trump is the most dangerous and incompetent president we've ever had. He is not only destroying our country, but our institutions. He is corrupting everything he touches and spreads lies every time he opens his mouth. Hyperbole? Maybe. But there is a basis of fact there.

Republicans: you have shown us you are willing to vote in someone with a record of allegations of harassment, rape, assault and it's ok. I will assume you fine with that in Biden and I will wait for you to defend him with your normal exclamations of "witch hunt" and "innocent until proven guilty" right?

Democrats: you have shown us "all women must be believed" regardless of evidence. I assume you will stand your ground here right? After you went after Kavanaugh publicly, rather than examine the allegations privately first?

I'm glad that Biden has called for personnel records to be released - if there was a formal complaint, there will be a record of it. I know how these things work.

It won't end there though. There will be a conspiracy theory if it isn't found. Wanna bet?

Biden is not a fundamentally decent guy......he is a plagarist, a bad one since he got caught, he used his political offices to enrich his family....he is corrupt and incompetent, and now he is on the verge of being senile......

He also lied about the death of his wife and smeared a good man for no reason, you dumb ass......

Is that politics today?

All that crap in that little post...

When you have the votes you get to confirm or not confirm an appointment......so the Supreme Court crap is just that, crap.........the Senate is not required to put a nominee on the court, it doesn't say will appoint, it gives the Senate advice and consent power......you moron. When you have the votes you put your nominees in, just like obama did with those pretend judges kagan and sotomayer.....

You set a precedent that changed everything moron. What McConnell did was not standard. I am going to so love it when the Dems do it to you. But I hope they don't. It's a very bad precedent in something that until recently was pretty bipartisan.

Is that politics today?

Biden is not a fundamentally decent guy......he is a plagarist, a bad one since he got caught, he used his political offices to enrich his family....he is corrupt and incompetent, and now he is on the verge of being senile......

He also lied about the death of his wife and smeared a good man for no reason, you dumb ass......

Considering what you voted for, scum waffle - I'll take your claims with a grain of salt.

Is that politics today?

Considering what you voted for, scum waffle - I'll take your claims with a grain of salt.

If you voted for bill clinton, hilary clinton, barak obama you have no room to stand on.....they sold out their country and gave aid and comfort to the enemies of the United States...allowing China to get the technology they needed to threaten the world and Iran to have the money they need to get nuclear weapons and fund their terrorist killers....nothing Trump has done in the past or currently comes even close you moron.

94CC9B68-E13F-4A15-BA67-D0958816831F.jpeg

Forum List

Back