Faustian Bargains

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
Faustian bargain, a pact whereby a person trades something of supreme moral or spiritual importance, such as personal values or the soul, for some worldly or material benefit, such as knowledge, power, or riches.

Is that politics today?

First - a big shout out and thanks to Democrats for setting up impossible standards and today's standard of guilty until proven innocent with your "all women must be believed" and the weaponizing of sexual assault in a last ditch attempt to stop a Supreme Court nomination. You've shown us it's ok to smear a decent man publicly, if that is what it takes. That wasn't the way to do it and you've now set something in play the you can't stop.

Second - a big shout out and thanks to the Republicans who are willing to do anything and elect anything to office in order to preserve power. You have shown us it's ok for to elect a man with multiple lawsuits and allegations of sexual harassment, assault, and rape. You have shown us that lying, promoting senseless conspiracy theories, defending the indefensible and destroying the reputations of good public servants and our institutions of democracy to preserve a thin skinned idiot is worth any price.

Democrats - you've cemented in place, a trend. The result of that trend is no good decent man (and this applies more to men then women, though Hilary was subject to some of these types of attacks) - will run for office because all it takes is ALLEGATIONS - and the automatic presumption of guilt in situations that most of the time can't be proved one way or the other and never go to court or get settled in lawsuits. What good candidates have the armor, the courage, the ego or reputation to be willing to put themselves in that bullring? What does that leave us with? And now, it's all coming back on you.

Republicans - you've cemented in place a new NORM. Anything goes. If you have a majority, you can steal a Supreme Court nomination. You can push funds towards supporting and investigating baseless conspiracy theories. You get to redefine facts. You can destroy the reputations of public servants in the name of protecting your president. A faustian bargain indeed when you consider the traditional values of the party you have jettisoned in order to get power: fiscal conservatism, family values, morals.

The Democrats shot themselves in the foot with this one. The Republicans sold their souls.

I genuinely like Biden - as a person. I thought, and still think he's a fundamentally decent guy. Until he became a candidate none of this came up. But the accusations of pedophilia with no evidence hit well below the belt of being disgusting and it's shameless of to spread those kind of rumors about any man unless you have damn good evidence. Inappropriate touching? or comments? I can believe that. Intent behind them? Different people will say different things. Assault/rape? Less believable given the serious inconsistencies in Reade's account, no history in Biden's life, and no record of complaints. So what exactly is going on here? Well, in one way - Biden can thank his own party.

So what's your Faustian Bargain? Mine's easy. I'll vote for Biden if he is the candidate. I am not a Democrat and I am not a Republican, and I will not vote 3rd party. Why? Because the truth is - it will be a throw away vote and the price is too high to do that. Because in my view Trump is the most dangerous and incompetent president we've ever had. He is not only destroying our country, but our institutions. He is corrupting everything he touches and spreads lies every time he opens his mouth. Hyperbole? Maybe. But there is a basis of fact there.

Republicans: you have shown us you are willing to vote in someone with a record of allegations of harassment, rape, assault and it's ok. I will assume you fine with that in Biden and I will wait for you to defend him with your normal exclamations of "witch hunt" and "innocent until proven guilty" right?

Democrats: you have shown us "all women must be believed" regardless of evidence. I assume you will stand your ground here right? After you went after Kavanaugh publicly, rather than examine the allegations privately first?

I'm glad that Biden has called for personnel records to be released - if there was a formal complaint, there will be a record of it. I know how these things work.

It won't end there though. There will be a conspiracy theory if it isn't found. Wanna bet?

So, I've made my Faustian Bargain. What's yours?

Faustian bargain, a pact whereby a person trades something of supreme moral or spiritual importance, such as personal values or the soul, for some worldly or material benefit, such as knowledge, power, or riches.

Is that politics today?

First - a big shout out and thanks to Democrats for setting up impossible standards and today's standard of guilty until proven innocent with your "all women must be believed" and the weaponizing of sexual assault in a last ditch attempt to stop a Supreme Court nomination. You've shown us it's ok to smear a decent man publicly, if that is what it takes. That wasn't the way to do it and you've now set something in play the you can't stop.

Second - a big shout out and thanks to the Republicans who are willing to do anything and elect anything to office in order to preserve power. You have shown us it's ok for to elect a man with multiple lawsuits and allegations of sexual harassment, assault, and rape. You have shown us that lying, promoting senseless conspiracy theories, defending the indefensible and destroying the reputations of good public servants and our institutions of democracy to preserve a thin skinned idiot is worth any price.

Democrats - you've cemented in place, a trend. The result of that trend is no good decent man (and this applies more to men then women, though Hilary was subject to some of these types of attacks) - will run for office because all it takes is ALLEGATIONS - and the automatic presumption of guilt in situations that most of the time can't be proved one way or the other and never go to court or get settled in lawsuits. What good candidates have the armor, the courage, the ego or reputation to be willing to put themselves in that bullring? What does that leave us with? And now, it's all coming back on you.

Republicans - you've cemented in place a new NORM. Anything goes. If you have a majority, you can steal a Supreme Court nomination. You can push funds towards supporting and investigating baseless conspiracy theories. You get to redefine facts. You can destroy the reputations of public servants in the name of protecting your president. A faustian bargain indeed when you consider the traditional values of the party you have jettisoned in order to get power: fiscal conservatism, family values, morals.

The Democrats shot themselves in the foot with this one. The Republicans sold their souls.

I genuinely like Biden - as a person. I thought, and still think he's a fundamentally decent guy. Until he became a candidate none of this came up. But the accusations of pedophilia with no evidence hit well below the belt of being disgusting and it's shameless of to spread those kind of rumors about any man unless you have damn good evidence. Inappropriate touching? or comments? I can believe that. Intent behind them? Different people will say different things. Assault/rape? Less believable given the serious inconsistencies in Reade's account, no history in Biden's life, and no record of complaints. So what exactly is going on here? Well, in one way - Biden can thank his own party.

So what's your Faustian Bargain? Mine's easy. I'll vote for Biden if he is the candidate. I am not a Democrat and I am not a Republican, and I will not vote 3rd party. Why? Because the truth is - it will be a throw away vote and the price is too high to do that. Because in my view Trump is the most dangerous and incompetent president we've ever had. He is not only destroying our country, but our institutions. He is corrupting everything he touches and spreads lies every time he opens his mouth. Hyperbole? Maybe. But there is a basis of fact there.

Republicans: you have shown us you are willing to vote in someone with a record of allegations of harassment, rape, assault and it's ok. I will assume you fine with that in Biden and I will wait for you to defend him with your normal exclamations of "witch hunt" and "innocent until proven guilty" right?

Democrats: you have shown us "all women must be believed" regardless of evidence. I assume you will stand your ground here right? After you went after Kavanaugh publicly, rather than examine the allegations privately first?

I'm glad that Biden has called for personnel records to be released - if there was a formal complaint, there will be a record of it. I know how these things work.

It won't end there though. There will be a conspiracy theory if it isn't found. Wanna bet?

Coyote how dare you bring logic into politics. Keep doing it though! Both parties have thier faults and until we restore logic in the selection process we will have a real hard time telling just how shity what they are offering is.!

Is that politics today?

You think members here are ignorant enough to have you define "Faustian Bargain"?

Is that politics today?

Well said Coyote. Outstanding post. You spoke truth to both parties. Amen.

Just like in 2016, I will not vote for Trump, and if Biden is the candidate, I will not vote for him.

as you stated, 3rd party is a waste of time, at this point.

Considering the last few presidents, and their opponents, I'll be long gone before they put someone up for election I'd feel comfortable with in the Oval Office.

Is that politics today?

You think members here are ignorant enough to have you define "Faustian Bargain"?
I take that back now that IM2 is here. Anyway, in a Faustian Bargain both sides get something. The Dems just screwed their own pooch. They got Kavanaugh and zilch.

Is that politics today?

Coyote how dare you bring logic into politics. Keep doing it though! Both parties have thier faults and until we restore logic in the selection process we will have a real hard time telling just how shity what they are offering is.!

Unfortunately I am seeing a spiral to the bottom here and in part, because we Americans either don't care much about facts and truth, or can't tell the difference between facts and lies, or....we are too damn set in our hundreds of internet echo chambers which wen haven't stepped out of since we joined. It's a dangerous ignorance.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Is that politics today?

Are you ignorant enough to confuse me with the Encyclopedia Brittanica? If so, you are beyond any help.

Is that politics today?

Unfortunately I am seeing a spiral to the bottom here and in part, because we Americans either don't care much about facts and truth, or can't tell the difference between facts and lies, or....we are too damn set in our hundreds of internet echo chambers which wen haven't stepped out of since we joined. It's a dangerous ignorance.
I do not think we care any more I was a democrat that served at President ronald reagans pleasure. It seemed as though things were diferent then. I did not like the K cars but I liked the respect for my neighbors and how both sides of the isle worked together to acomlpish things. We tore down a wall. We fucked up on the drug war but thats life. You take the good with the bad. The point is we worked togehter and we could beleive what people had to say for the most part.

the lesser of two 'evils'?

and if neither is the lesser?

We're at the bottom of the barrel.

next we'll be nominating the slugs in the wet dirt under the barrel.

Is that politics today?

Are you ignorant enough to confuse me with the Encyclopedia Brittanica? If so, you are beyond any help.
No, now that IM2 is here, that makes sense. Even you are his intellectual superior.

What are the slugs names.........lol

I vote for the Port o let man.......he can't weld.......he can't fit..........but he damn sure knows his shit.

I vote for no election and we settle our differences on both sides ........well......in a less complicated manner.

We flat ned more than two parties. Life is more complicated than this or that. We all know what needs to happen the problem is how do we make it happen. You vote out side of the two parties and nine times out of ten you throw your vote away. I dont know how to fix it. Sure as hell wish we could.

Is that politics today?

Again, well said and spot on.

Is that politics today?

I do not think we care any more I was a democrat that served at President ronald reagans pleasure. It seemed as though things were diferent then. I did not like the K cars but I liked the respect for my neighbors and how both sides of the isle worked together to acomlpish things. We tore down a wall. We fucked up on the drug war but thats life. You take the good with the bad. The point is we worked togehter and we could beleive what people had to say for the most part.
I could not stand Reagan. He was the beginning of this shit. And you did not just fuck up on the drug war, you infected our community with crack and we are still dealing with that damage.

We flat ned more than two parties. Life is more complicated than this or that. We all know what needs to happen the problem is how do we make it happen. You vote out side of the two parties and nine times out of ten you throw your vote away. I dont know how to fix it. Sure as hell wish we could.
We have more than 2 parties. But what we need to do is let more party presidential nominees participate in the final presidential debates than just democrats and republicans.

Is that politics today?

Faust was a victim of his own arrogance and hubris.

A voter voting in good faith to remove from office a president clearly incapable of performing his duties is motivated by neither arrogance nor hubris.

Indeed, a voter cannot be faulted because he’s forced to decide between the lesser of two evils.

Is that politics today?

I could not stand Reagan. He was the beginning of this shit. And you did not just fuck up on the drug war, you infected our community with crack and we are still dealing with that damage.
ya, I did not know that at the time. My job was the wall. I was against the drug war and stated so and brought up prohibition. I was also against trickle down economics. The difference betweeen now and today is that those people back then were just doing the best they could and acting with what they thought the best interests were. Were we wrong on some stuff , hell yes. But we acted on our values and not just the party line. Guess what we were all human, we did what we thought was best and both sides got to try some of thier own stuff. We did not have a crystle ball any more than any one today. The other difference is we owned our mistakes. I take part of the blame, I was there. You do not see politicians doing that today. What would you have had me do? Say no I am not working for a republican? Easier to make change fro the inside than the out.

Forum List

Back