Fathers of Daughters

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2009
Nashville
Sometime back, maybe on NPR, there was a story about a guy who wrote a study that fathers of daughters were more likely to be liberal and support state policies like welfare and the life. His reasoning was that fathers want to see their daughters taken care of, just like they took care of them when they were little.
Not so sure about that one. (Disclosure, I have a 20 year old daughter).

I want my daughter to be independent. I want her to have the means and knowledge necessary to fend for herself and live independently successfully. If she decides to get married, I want it to be her decision freely to enter into a relationship lke that and choose to depend on her husband for some things, just like he chooses to depend on her for others.
The last thing, dead last thing, I want is for her to be dependent on some unaccountable government bureaucrat for anything. A husband she can divorce. Or I can shoot his ass. The government,not so much.
Who thinks the thesis was correct?

What I wanted for my daughter was for her to be loved by her husband as much as she was loved by me. I got what I wanted...praise The Lord.

Last edited:
My daughter is 45yrs old now and very successful businessperson. From the time she started talking I told her there was nothing she couldn't do. She listened. Throughout high school I told her the same three things over and over. You can be anything you want, Get a job, Change your oil. Now she's 45 and I can really say she listened to me. There's a special connection between dad's and daughter's.

I do not really agree that men are likely to be more liberal based on the sex of their offspring, political leanings are usually formed long before the age where most people procreate. If it is true I can't see the difference being much more than a few percentage points, hardly enough to be of great interest, most fathers who have daughters tend to be hard-assed conservatives when it comes to their behavior and associations.

Just like about 90% of everything else NPR puts out over the airwaves - this story is BULLSHIT, liberal in nature, and wishful thinking.

Sometime back, maybe on NPR, there was a story about a guy who wrote a study that fathers of daughters were more likely to be liberal and support state policies like welfare and the life. His reasoning was that fathers want to see their daughters taken care of, just like they took care of them when they were little.

I want my daughter to be independent. I want her to have the means and knowledge necessary to fend for herself and live independently successfully. If she decides to get married, I want it to be her decision freely to enter into a relationship lke that and choose to depend on her husband for some things, just like he chooses to depend on her for others.
The last thing, dead last thing, I want is for her to be dependent on some unaccountable government bureaucrat for anything. A husband she can divorce. Or I can shoot his ass. The government,not so much.

How would you react if she married a woman?

How would you react if she married a woman?

My answer is that I would have adjusted to her "reality" long before she "married" a woman.

Forum List

Back