Fast-Food Wages Come With a $7 Billion Side of Public Assistance

R

rdean

Two studies released today make some different calculations to determine the total cost to American taxpayers of a large, low-wage workforce. It comes to an average of $7 billion a year.

Overall, 52 percent of families of fast-food workers are enrolled in one or more public assistance programs, compared with 25 percent of the workforce as a whole. Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program accounted for nearly $4 billion of the $7 billion figure. The Earned Income Tax Credit, food stamps, and the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program accounted for the rest. ”Public benefits receipt is the rule, rather than the exception, for this workforce,” the authors write.

fastfood_graphic630.jpg

Fast-Food Wages Come With a $7 Billion Side of Public Assistance - Businessweek

And Republicans want to cut their wages???? Why???? To make them more depended on government????

Republicans call for lowering, eliminating federal minimum wage

fast food isnt a career. if it is your career, you have made some BAD life choices

Fast food places need to start making better decisions themselves. They hire people with families to support. They allow workers to remain for far too long. If fast food places changed their policies of hiring only entry level or retired workers this would not be a problem. Young workers should be under a two year up or out policy.

fast food isnt a career. if it is your career, you have made some BAD life choices

Couldn't agree more. It would seem that some believe that the baby mama's with three kids with differing dad's has every right to blame others for their poor choices in life and feel a sense of entitlement while maintaining a victim mentality.

The American way is to provide an opportunity for everyone to have a chance to succeed, not a guarantee to have equal conditions.

Fast food places need to start making better decisions themselves. They hire people with families to support. They allow workers to remain for far too long. If fast food places changed their policies of hiring only entry level or retired workers this would not be a problem. Young workers should be under a two year up or out policy.

I understand what you are saying, but I also think there is an advantage to staying longer - and its not just because people have no other job to go to.

If you stay with a job for as long I have (7 years) it proves to other companies that you are loyal and dedicated, and willing to stick with the one company for the long haul.
Employers can look favorable on that, as opposed to someone who has has six different jobs in the past seven years - would the employer hire that person knowing they only stay with a job for an average of 12 months?

2.4 million jobs lost due to China from 2001-2008

Wow. What a plan. I never thought about it like that. After Republicans helped move millions of jobs to China they say we should kick young people off a minimum wage job after two years. That will help them. I guess the way Republicans helped them when they helped business to move all those jobs to China.

Fast food isn't good for us so why is there no Executive Order nationalizing and closing all fast food joints? Has Moochelle so little influence on her squeeze that she can't make him do that one little thing?

Of course it would eliminate hundreds of thousands of McJobs but everybody knows all those people would be far better off suckling at the government teat!

It was the best Dean could do after Reagan shut the mental hospitals

I really get a kick from your signature line:

Sent from my Encryption defeating NSA Supercomputer made of Xbox and Nintendo parts sold to the Chinese using Tapatalk 2

Air Force Unveils Fastest Defense Supercomputer, Made of 1,760 PlayStation 3s | Popular Science

You're making fun of the Air Force. It's like you are an advertisement for "walking stupid". Hey, my name is Frank and I'm "stupid".

4518832806_stupid_people_xlarge.jpeg

in 1986 after putting down 200k for a McD's chain rest. The owner took in 2 million in a small town on a Saturday alone. Sure his cut was only 2%, but what a nice net earning for a fast food worker I knew.

Becoming the owner of a chain of McDonalds stores and making millions of dollars is certainly a career. Don't say it isn't.

this thread is about chain resturant owners?

You said that if 'fast food is your career, you made some bad choices'. For the owner of a chain of McDonalds stores, they likely started in fast food, and it is still their career.

The problem isn't that the workers aren't paid enough the problem is our standards for government assistance aren't strict enough.

Becoming the owner of a chain of McDonalds stores and making millions of dollars is certainly a career. Don't say it isn't.

this thread is about chain resturant owners?

You said that if 'fast food is your career, you made some bad choices'. For the owner of a chain of McDonalds stores, they likely started in fast food, and it is still their career.

OK. So you are saying the USA has people making millions of dollars on welfare??
if.not, try stick to the what the OP is referring to.

The problem isn't that the workers aren't paid enough the problem is our standards for government assistance aren't strict enough.

Yea, because minimum wage makes them overpaid. Got it.

Two studies released today make some different calculations to determine the total cost to American taxpayers of a large, low-wage workforce. It comes to an average of $7 billion a year.
Perhaps if you'd gone to a REAL school, not the Sylvia Plath School of Womyn's Studies Engineering, you'd have been able to get a job as something a little more profitable than burger flipper.

"Do you want fries with that, you 90% white Republican bastard?"

we should all make the same regardless of what we do. even if no one has any skills or built a multi million dollar business from the ground up. even if all they do is put meat on a fuckin bun.

Yea, because minimum wage makes them overpaid. Got it.

Minimum wage should be $50k annually in a rural area, $100k if you live in the suburbs and $200k if you live in a city. Think of what Detroit would look like if we had that

Forum List

Back