Facts About Judaism

As I post, what's below is currently the #1 hashtag on twitter in France...
Need to translate?

5ee54ec930d5554a.jpg

The French should be ashamed!

You know, in Morocco in-spite of periods of persecutions pogroms and dhimmi,
the Mlah, Arab version of ghetto, which when exited Jews walk barefoot and display their shoes on the shoulders, in spite of all that and it's common knowledge - the king built the Mlah close to his palace to protect the Jew, it of course depended on who sat in the palace, but it was common knowledge in Morocco that the Jewish population was key to their prosperity.

And Morocco today among the Arab mess prospers, has an Israeli as their chief Rabbi,
and recieves every group of Jewish immigrants with special care, making sure they're guarded all along their visit. Officially they're even trying to motivate some Israelis to return, allegedly preserving the property once confiscated or left due to pogroms, but that's another topic.

France on the other hand, if Napoleon called for Jewish statehood,
today they're against Jews in Judea, and everyone sees what happens to their country...

Shame is indeed not reserved.
It is promised HaShem revives the soul of every wicked leader among the nations,
that ever mistreated Israel, for the humanity to see their humiliation.

That said, each is given a choice to correct that for himself and his nation.
France is maybe on a path to devastation, but the most symbolic Edom is doing Tshuvah.

Anyway, all that said - the Jewish community can't rely on that in the diaspora.

Meeting with the Reformers - Allowed? Rabbi Aviner replies

Is it allowed to meet with reformers? And what about Reformed rabbis? Is it permissible to have a conversation with them? Rabbi Shlomo Aviner replies

Question: Why did Chief Rabbis forbid to meet with reformers? Not one father to all of us?

Answer: Once a German Reformist claimed it to an Orthodox father: Wir Haben Denselben Vater, we have the same father. He replied: Aber Nicht Dieselbe Mutter, but not her mother.

It was a pun that, 'Mutter' rings as if 'Mutar' (allowed in Hebrew).

Because the point of departure is different, because they believe that the Torah is not from heaven, we have nothing to discuss.

About this, the Rabbi Yosef David HaLevy Soloveytchik wrote in his book "Is Ha'Edah", par.21. And here is the summary from our booklet "Mishmeret Kol Ha'Edah" par.14, "Orthodoxy and non-Orthodox movements":

"Rabbi Soloveytchik emphasizes that the unity of Israel is a central principle of Judaism, which is expressed in two ways: a. Especially the Jewish lifestyle, which includes observance. That's how a Yemenitie in Tel Aviv connects to a Jew in Boston. B. In our special political-historical destiny as a nation, and the Jew is unable to disengage from the unity of Israel, stemming from the fateful loneliness of all Israel as a people. As a result, when it comes to representing Jews or Jewish interests outwardly, and protecting their rights to the non-Jewish world, all groups and movements must unite. There should be no fissures in this area that could cause danger to all of Israel. This unity includes everyone, from the French prime minister, Pierre Mendes-France, to the old Jew of a Mea She'arim in Jerusalem. The fact is that in the incinerators during the Holocaust period, the ashes of devotees and practitioners mingled with the ashes of extremist revolutionaries and free thinkers.

But in internal affairs, that is, in religious-spiritual interests, such as education, Shuls, and rabbinic union, orthodoxy cannot and should not be associated with circles that deny the foundations of our worldview. After all, the distance between Reform and Orthodoxy is greater than the distance that separated the Pharisees and the Sadducees during the days of the 2nd Temple, or during the days of Geonim between the Karaites and the Rabbis. "

And so, in 2013, the Chief Rabbis were willing to meet with them on condition that six principles were fulfilled.

The reply letter states: "To the regret of the Chief Rabbinate, you have distanced yourselves in your ways and violated the basic concepts of Torah and Judaism, the Chief Rabbis will not be able to meet with you on matters concerning the religion of Israel that you are underestimating its foundations. Among the conditions mentioned in the letter: "A. A Jew is only of a Jewish mother and not a Jewish father, as the law in Israel also recognizes. B. There should be no recognition of marriage of a Jewish man with a woman of another nation, neither of a Jewish woman with a man of another nation. C. There should be no degrading of the institution marriage by ceremony for same-sex spouses. D. In a second marriage - marriage ceremonies should not be conducted for those who did not receive a divorce appropriate to law."

Incidentally, during the Holocaust, American reformers aligned with the silence. And then their leader Stephen Wise said: "We are Americans, first and foremost, at all times, at all times, nothing else, whether it be race or fate, does not defy our Americanism" (Wikipedia edited Stephen Wise).

And to conclude some facts about the reformers:
  1. 53% of them are married to non-Jewish spouses (book "The Reformers". Jewish Information Center Press p. 577).
  2. 40% will not feel tragedy if the State of Israel is destroyed (ibid.).
  3. Half of the reformist 'rabbays' participate in interfaith marriages. There are 700,000 couples involved, with a million children ('Rabbay' Alexander Schindler. p 74).
  4. 25% of the Reformers contribute to the State of Israel compared to 63% of Orthodox (ibid)
  5. More than 40% of the reformers are not Jewish (ibid.).
  6. Only 1.7% of their children receive Jewish education (ibid.).
  7. Of the 75% Reform communities do not know who among them is Jewish or not (ibid.)
  8. 20% of Reformists do not believe in G-d (ibid. 157).
  9. The Reformers demanded absolute loyalty to Germany and utterly negated Zionism, which it regarded as a hallucination (and deleted in-gathering of Israel from prayer books). Only towards the Holocaust they changed their minds.
  10. One wise man said: Who is a Jew? One who is a Jewish grandson. If so, please ask Reform: Will your grandson be Jewish? Here's the account:
1st gen. Reform - 100; Orthodox - 100
2nd gen. Reform - 51; Orthodox - 295
3rd gen. Reform - 26; Orthodox - 874
4th gen. Reform - 13; Orthodox - 2537​

Finally, in the marriage ceremony of a couple involved by a 'rabbay' and a priest: "You are sanctified to me by the law of Moses and Yes"hu" (ibid. 63).

G-d will have mercy!

300562_b8a56862fac755e051e321984e8cee39.jpg

Kipa News - https://www.kipa.co.il/חדשות/דעות/1093955-מפגש-עם-רפורמים---מותר-הרב-אבינר-משיב/

Last edited:
There should be no recognition of marriage of a Jewish man with a woman of another nation, neither of a Jewish woman with a man of another nation.
Who are the Karaims according to the Orthodox views?

There should be no recognition of marriage of a Jewish man with a woman of another nation, neither of a Jewish woman with a man of another nation.

Without getting into detail, basically those who reject the oral Torah.
Today it seems they are non-existent as a group, at least in public perception.

Some, here and there, but those whom I know are in no way a different sect today.
It's more a family heritage thing, from what I understand they returned fully to Judaism,
and all these differences faded away. I don't know about any other Karaim outside Israel.

Do You know any?

Some, here and there, but those whom I know are in no way a different sect today.
It's more a family heritage thing, from what I understand they returned fully to Judaism,
and all these differences faded away. I don't know about any other Karaim outside Israel.

Do You know any?
No, I don't. What I know about the Karaims, is that they are of Turkic origin, who adopted Judaism presumably at the times of the Khazar khanate. The was the time in history, when they admitting their adherence to Judaism (as they saw it) underlined the difference between them and the Jews in the national matter.

And now I have a question to ask. Is the marriage between a Jew and Karaim permissible? And what the answer would be, if they retained their way of Judaism and national division?

Do You know any?
No, I don't. What I know about the Karaims, is that they are of Turkic origin, who adopted Judaism presumably at the times of the Khazar khanate. The was the time in history, when they admitting their adherence to Judaism (as they saw it) underlined the difference between them and the Jews in the national matter.

And now I have a question to ask. Is the marriage between a Jew and Karaim permissible? And what the answer would be, if they retained their way of Judaism and national division?

That's new, but the historic reference to Khazar kahanate, frankly raises all sorts of suspicion.
This is a topic of once widely researched theory that pre-supposed a Turkic origin of the Ashkenazi community. And most probably due to it being highly politicized.

But as I said, I don't know about those Karaim outside Israel.
Here I got to know them from Yeshivah study.

The question is actually not simple, today.
Again I don't have an actual example.

If Karaim are a foreign tribe, like Shomronim then the Rabbinate would prob. not allow.
For example when Shomronim were at the point of extinction for not having girl born in the community, they reached out to Jews, but the Rabbinate of course didn't allow the marriage.

Shomronim have Israeli citizenship, but they're not part of the Jewish nation.
So are Jews who converted to Christianity, there's a certain level of cultural authenticity,
even if seemingly similar, at the point of which - the Jewish civilization sets a boundary and excludes such sects from outside and within, for the sake of tribal preservation of heritage.

Do You know any?

That's new, but the historic reference to Khazar kahanate, frankly raises all sorts of suspicion.
This is a topic of once widely researched theory that pre-supposed a Turkic origin of the Ashkenazi community. And most probably due to it being highly politicized.

If Karaim are a foreign tribe, like Shomronim then the Rabbinate would prob. not allow.
For example when Shomronim were at the point of extinction for not having girl born in the community, they reached out to Jews, but the Rabbinate of course didn't allow the marriage.

So are Jews who converted to Christianity, there's a certain level of cultural authenticity,
even if seemingly similar, at the point of which - the Jewish civilization sets a boundary and excludes such sects from outside and within, for the sake of tribal preservation of heritage.
So, the Jews Christians aren't considered as Jews? What about Jews openly atheistic or secular ones?

Do You know any?

So, the Jews Christians aren't considered as Jews? What about Jews openly atheistic or secular ones?

Then Mazal Tov!
But really You will find it difficult to find actual atheists or secular.
Most of those who are identified so do Kiddush, keep Kosher and fast on Yom Kippur.
Even the most feminist progressive MK in the Knesset outspoken on "religious coercion",
recently circumcised her baby boy in a ceremony in a Shul, and married in Rabbinate.

Israelis are at large traditional, rather than religious or secular.

What makes difference is the symbolic act of intentionally leaving the tribe.
A parallel with Shabbat observance - by law one is considered 'torn out from the nation"
when publicly desecrating Shabbat, in the open. Torah prescribes capital punishment, leave
aside the fact that this was only used twice in Jewish history, but if a person did the same home the punishment is set between the person and heavens directly, while staying part of the nation.

Think in the direction of tribe, family, culture, rather than religious dogma.

Do You know any?

Then Mazal Tov!
But really You will find it difficult to find actual atheists or secular.
Most of those who are identified so do Kiddush, keep Kosher and fast on Yom Kippur.
Even the most feminist progressive MK in the Knesset outspoken on "religious coercion",
recently circumcised her baby boy in a ceremony in a Shul, and married in Rabbinate.

Israelis are at large traditional, rather than religious or secular.

What makes difference is the symbolic act of intentionally leaving the tribe.
A parallel with Shabbat observance - by law one is considered 'torn out from the nation"
when publicly desecrating Shabbat, in the open. Torah prescribes capital punishment, leave
aside the fact that this was only used twice in Jewish history, but if a person did the same home the punishment is set between the person and heavens directly, while staying part of the nation.

Think in the direction of tribe, family, culture, rather than religious dogma.
Well, okay. It makes sense.

Thanks for the video, related to Karaims, btw. I understand that it can't be considered too representative, but it was interesting anyway.

Powerful Interview! Rabbi Tovia Singer on the Church, Christian Zionism, Missionaries, and Calvinism

About the 'Judeo' in 'Judeo-Christian' and more..

A must for every Jew who can't understand but curious about standard Jewish literature.
I'm reading Rambam's 'Mishneh Torah' in the Steinzlatz edition,
and it's just so 'eye to eye' level.

All masterfully edited, Rabbi Steinzlatz ztz"l has left a significant mark on Jewish learning,
especially who want to engage in it individually, or need a more accessible version
to prepare for regular class, to be able to grasp more of the standard format.

The Story of Shimi Adar | Meaningful People #17

Shimrit Adar was born in Israel and raised in Brooklyn, NY. Though she currently resides there with her husband and four children, she thoroughly enjoys spreading her joy all over the world. Shimi is a motivational speaker, an MC, and an entertainer. Shimi taught Zumba classes for a decade, even spearheading several Zumbathons for charity, with a cover story in the Wall Street Journal. She was (and continues to be!) the MC at numerous Challah Bakes, including one down in Panama! Shimi’s spirit and her passion for making a positive impact on people have taken her to cities far and wide. Atlanta. Toronto. Miami. Lakewood. Dallas. Jerusalem. Panama City.

Johannesburg. Rio Grande. Punta Cana. Shimi loves sharing meaningful slogans and quotes. One of her favorite mottos that she lives by is, “Be the reason someone smiles.”

Psalm 20: Grasping the middle of the beam

Psalm 20 explained by Israel's first Chief Rabbi and iconic leader of Religious Zionism:
Why call out to Jacob's God in times of distress?

“May God answer you in a day of distress; may the name of Jacob’s God fortify you”
(Psalms 20:2).

Why does the psalmist indicate that, in times of trouble, one should call out in “the name of Jacob’s God”?

Why not Abraham’s God, or Isaac’s God?
The Sages explained that Jacob is mentioned because “The owner of a beam should grasp it by its thickest part” (Berachot 64a). But this statement is puzzling. What does advice on how to hold an unwieldy piece of wood have to do with Jacob and prayer in times of trouble?

The Mountain, the Field, and the House
Rav Kook wrote that each of the Avot had his own spiritual path in serving God. Abraham strived to teach the entire world about the One God. The name “Abraham” means “the father of many nations.” His service was embodied by the image of a Mountain. “On God’s Mountain, [God] will be seen.” The Mountain indicates an open, accessible place, inviting all people to approach.

The metaphor for Isaac’s service of God was a Field. “Isaac went out to meditate in the Field.” The Field also indicates an open place, without boundaries and divisions.

Jacob, on the other hand, heralded the beginning of a new stage in the world’s spiritual development. With Jacob began the establishment of the Jewish people, a nation with a Divine covenant and a holy mission. All of his children formed the twelve tribes of Israel.

This was the start of a new process, the world’s elevation through the influence of a holy nation. Jacob’s service is compared to a House: “the House of Jacob’s God” (Isaiah 2:3). Houses are defined by walls, separating those inside and those outside the structure.

Two Paths
Now we may understand what it means to call out in “the name of Jacob’s God.“
We may draw close to God in two ways. The first path is to approach God through the universal ideals that connect every human soul to its Maker. We may call this path as calling in the “name of the God of Abraham and Isaac.” This is a universal path by which all peoples relate to God. It is the Mountain and the Field, the spiritual paths of Abraham and Isaac, accessible to all.

The second path is to call “in the name of Jacob’s God.” This means to base our relationship to God on His special covenant with the Jewish people.

So which path should we take?
The psalmist teaches that during troubled times, we should follow the second path and focus on Israel’s special connection to God. At times of peril and need, it is best to deepen our closeness to God with those aspects that are close to the heart. This approach will inspire an outpouring of the soul and an awareness that we are praying to One Who comes to the aid of those who call out to Him.

By concentrating on this special connection to God - a connection fortified by mitzvot binding us to God’s service - our heart is filled with powerful feelings of love and awe. We are filled with deep emotion for the God of Israel, Who drew us near to serve Him and gave us His Torah.

The universal connection of every human soul to God is a real connection, but it is of a more abstract nature. It lacks the warmth needed to kindle the emotions and gain closeness to God - a sense of connection that is essential in times of trouble. Unlike the more dispassionate intellect, awakening our feelings of love and awe will have a stronger impact on our actions, as our emotions are closer to our physical side.

Gripping the Middle of the Beam
Now we may understand the Talmudic metaphor of grasping a wooden beam at its thickest point. A piece of timber has various parts: small branches and twigs at one end, roots at the other. It is easiest to carry a beam by grabbing it at its thickest spot.

So, too, we may relate to God with an abstract, universal approach, as the Creator, as the God of Abraham and Isaac. But the psalmist counsels that we should grasp, not the upper branches, but the massive trunk. We should hold on to that which is closest to us, that which most directly appeals to our heart and soul. This is “the name of Jacob’s God” - our connection to God as members of the Jewish people, recipients of His Torah.

This advice is especially relevant during times of trouble, whether personal or communal. At such times, we should gather under the flag of the Jewish people, renew our dedication to Torah, and awaken the holy emotions and thoughts that are unique to Israel. With this effort, the national soul of Israel gains strength and power, thus advancing the universal goal of uplifting the entire world.

When the Jewish people will attain a proper material and spiritual state, the time will arrive for Abraham’s blessing. “All of the families on earth will be blessed through you” (Gen. 12:3). But in times of trouble, it is best to focus on our own spiritual heritage. This is a time to firmly grasp the thickest part of the tree, our ties to the God of Jacob. Then we will have a better grip on the branches above - our universal aspirations - as well as the roots below - mitzvot grounded in the physical realm.

harav-kok1.jpg

A must for every Jew who can't understand but curious about standard Jewish literature.
I'm reading Rambam's 'Mishneh Torah' in the Steinzlatz edition,
and it's just so 'eye to eye' level.

All masterfully edited, Rabbi Steinzlatz ztz"l has left a significant mark on Jewish learning,
especially who want to engage in it individually, or need a more accessible version
to prepare for regular class, to be able to grasp more of the standard format.

I did not know of Rabbi Steinsaltz's passing until I read your post. Just last week I saw a video of his encouraging the faithful to be more proactive.

May his memory be for a blessing.

Forum List

Back