FACT CHECK: Is Biden a 'liar' for claiming GOP wants Social Security and Medicare cuts?

Thinker101

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2017
Biden’s accusations.

“Let us commit here tonight that the full faith and credit of the United States of America will never, ever be questioned. So my — many of — some of my Republican friends want to take the economy hostage — I get it — unless I agree to their economic plans. All of you at home should know what those plans are. Instead of making the wealthy pay their fair share, some Republicans — some Republicans want Medicare and Social Security to sunset. I’m not saying it’s a majority.” — President Joe Biden, State of the Union address.

Biden’s claim that Republicans have pushed for an end to Medicare and Social Security during debt ceiling negotiations is false.

In fact, Republicans had explicitly said neither program is up for discussion as they consider which spending cuts to demand in exchange for their support of raising the debt limit.

FACT CHECK: Is Biden a 'liar' for claiming GOP wants Social Security and Medicare cuts?

In his speech, he said that it wasn't all Republicans, but that part was drowned out by the boos.

GQP has brought this on themselves with their rhetoric. If they want to "fire up the base" with these constant attacks on all things government, they're asking for this. And yes, we have many times seen them calling programs like Social Security and Medicare "Ponzi schemes". That's just a fact.

If the GQP wants to stop the silly hyperbole and talking point screaming, they won't be such easy targets on this.

Newsweek has compiled a list of prominent Republicans who have previously either explicitly, or implicitly, called for cuts to Medicare or Social Security payments.

Mitch McConnell

Speaking in October 2018, McConnell called "entitlements," a term usually deployed to describe welfare payments like Medicare and Social Security, "the real drivers of the debt," adding they need to be adjusted "to the demographics of America in the future."

McConnell also described the GOP's failure on the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare, as "the one disappointment of this Congress from a Republican point of view."

Ron Johnson

In August, Republican Senator Ron Johnson suggested Medicare and Social Security should cease being federal entitlement programs, and instead require approval every year as "discretionary spending."

"If you qualify for the entitlement, you just get it no matter what the cost," he said. "And our problem in this country is that more than 70 percent of our federal budget, of our federal spending, is all mandatory spending. It's on automatic pilot. It never, you just don't do proper oversight. You don't get in there and fix the programs going bankrupt."
In response, House Majority leader Chuck Schumer said: "The junior senator from Wisconsin wants to put Medicare and Social Security on the chopping block."

Speaking to The Washington Post, Johnson's office later denied he wanted to end Medicare or Social Security.

Lindsey Graham

In June, South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham argued "entitlement reform" was needed to stop the U.S. from becoming like Greece, during a debate with Vermont's Bernie Sanders.

Graham made a similar argument nearly a decade earlier in December 2012, when he called for "real structural reforms to save Medicare and Social Security from bankruptcy and prevent our country from becoming Greece."

Marco Rubio

Speaking to two Politico journalists in 2017, Florida Senator Marco Rubio called for "structural changes" in U.S. welfare provisions.

"We have to do two things," he said. "We have to generate economic growth which generates revenue while reducing spending. That will mean instituting structural changes to Social Security and Medicare for the future."

Mike Lee

Utah Senator Mike Lee claimed his goal was to "phase out Social Security" in February 2010, during a campaign stop in his state's Cache Valley.

He commented: "People who advise me politically always tell me it's dangerous and I tell them, 'In that case, it's not worth my running.' That's why I'm doing this, to get rid of that. Medicare and Medicaid are of the same sort, they need to be pulled up."

The senator told Newsweek in a statement in November that this is no longer his position, commenting: "This attack by my opponent is straight out of the Democrat playbook.

"Throughout my first campaign and from the day I took office, I have been clear: we must honor our commitments to retirees. That has been reflected in every vote I've cast, every bill I've introduced, and every speech I've given regarding Social Security."

Rick Scott

Whilst he hasn't explicitly called for Medicare or Social Security to be axed, Senator Rick Scott chaired the National Republican Senatorial Committee when it proposed all federal laws should be eliminated after five years, unless Congress votes to keep them. The proposal was made as part of the 2022 Rescue America plan, though Mitch McConnell insisted it wasn't party policy.

A Washington Post editorial warned the proposal could "could mean an end to Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, everything else mentioned above—and potentially more."

Newsweek has compiled a list of prominent Republicans who have previously either explicitly, or implicitly, called for cuts to Medicare or Social Security payments.

Mitch McConnell

Ron Johnson
Lindsey Graham
Marco Rubio
Mike Lee
Rick Scott
LOL!! If you're posting old quotes, Joe Biden also supported cutting entitlements. Another partisan dishonest post.

Most Republicans want to end Social Security. They have since it was created.
They just won’t say it out loud
Actually ...

They really want to "privatize" in service to their financial masters.

SS paid out 1.2T in 2022
SS took in 981`B in 2022

that's 2.1T exposed to "management fees" at, say .5?% about 20B in fees to the management companies.

When was that?

Biden doubled down on his legislation in the '90s, saying on the Senate floor that his bill would affect Social Security.
"When I argued that we should freeze federal spending, I meant Social Security, as well," Biden said. "I meant Medicare and Medicaid. I meant veterans’ benefits."
"I meant every single solitary thing in the federal government," he said. "And I not only tried it once, I tried it twice, I tried it a third time, and I tried it a fourth time."

Forum List

Back