Faa Requires Drones To Carry On-board Flight Manual. Who's Going To Read It?

Rikurzhen

Gold Member
Jul 24, 2014
These are the folks (government bureaucrats) liberals want to be in charge of our health care:

Over the same period, Seattle-based Applewhite Aero has struggled to get permission from the Federal Aviation Administration just to fly its drones, which are designed for crop monitoring. The company, founded the same year as Service-drone, has test-flown only one of its four aircraft, and is now moving some operations to Canada, where getting flight clearance is easier.

“We had to petition the FAA to not carry the aircraft manual onboard,” said Applewhite founder Paul Applewhite. “I mean, who’s supposed to read it?” Mr. Applewhite, like many of his U.S. peers, fears the drone industry “is moving past the U.S., and we’re just getting left behind.”

The U.S. introduced drones to the world as machines of war. But as unmanned aircraft enter private industry—for purposes as varied as filming movies, inspecting wind farms and herding cattle—many U.S. drone entrepreneurs are finding it hard to get off the ground, even as rivals in Europe, Canada, Australia and China are taking off.

The reason, according to interviews with two-dozen drone makers, sellers and users across the world: regulation.

The FAA has banned all but a handful of private-sector drones in the U.S. while it completes rules for them, expected in the next several years.​

Ummm, we've been flying model airplanes for a very long time. Some people call them drones.... mostly people who don't know what they're talking about.

That's all the Predator, Globalhawk, and all the rest are. Just big model airplanes. Some can carry cameras. Some can carry weapons. Some have on-board computers that can fly the plane independently from ground control. But they're not substantially different from model airplanes. In days of old, some model airplanes were really big. But they were still called model airplanes.

The FAA has put together rules for manned aircraft, from Cessna putt-putts to jetliners. One of the rules is that the Pilot Operating Handbook (POH) must be carried aboard the plane whenever it's flown.

It might be that the rule is phrased, "All aircraft must carry the POH when flying". And now some deskbound weenie is deathly afraid to actually think, and so he's simply including model aircraft (aka drones) in the FAA's definition of "aircraft".

If that's the case, I've been violating that rule since I was about six. But I never saw a Pilot Operating Handbook for the little 5-cent Strato glider I was "flying" then. Not sure how I would get the little thing to carry it even if I did have one.

If you needed reasons why government should be allowed to control AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE, now you have another one. Big-government advocates, please take careful note, before you mess us up even more.

Worst idea ever in civil aviation drones. Not since some idiot though helicopters would be good (since if they loose power they fall, planes glide.)

When the ADA first came about there was a sign company that tried to convince my company that handicap parking signs had to include Braille.

My head of maintenance almost ordered 2 dozen!

Nothing the FAA says or does surprises me anymore. After a 30-year career in aviation, I've reached the point where I understand there is no limit to their stupidity.

"99 percent of FAA inspectors give the rest a bad reputation."

These are the folks (government bureaucrats) liberals want to be in charge of our health care:

Over the same period, Seattle-based Applewhite Aero has struggled to get permission from the Federal Aviation Administration just to fly its drones, which are designed for crop monitoring. The company, founded the same year as Service-drone, has test-flown only one of its four aircraft, and is now moving some operations to Canada, where getting flight clearance is easier.

“We had to petition the FAA to not carry the aircraft manual onboard,” said Applewhite founder Paul Applewhite. “I mean, who’s supposed to read it?” Mr. Applewhite, like many of his U.S. peers, fears the drone industry “is moving past the U.S., and we’re just getting left behind.”

The U.S. introduced drones to the world as machines of war. But as unmanned aircraft enter private industry—for purposes as varied as filming movies, inspecting wind farms and herding cattle—many U.S. drone entrepreneurs are finding it hard to get off the ground, even as rivals in Europe, Canada, Australia and China are taking off.

The reason, according to interviews with two-dozen drone makers, sellers and users across the world: regulation.

The FAA has banned all but a handful of private-sector drones in the U.S. while it completes rules for them, expected in the next several years.​

Obviously you never saw Terminator.

When the AI drones become self-aware, they will want to read their own operator manuals--just like we humans like to read WebMD.

The FAA has banned all but a handful of private-sector drones in the U.S. while it completes rules for them, expected in the next several years.

---------------
Interesting tidbit, regulation is driving them all out...

Forum List

Back