Extending Unemployment Benefits

People need move out of their comfort zones. We shouldnt have more than 1 year benefits, well we shouldnt have any at all, but obviously thats not going to happen overnight.

Why? What would you do if you suddenly lost your job? What if you AND your husband/wife lost their job. You really think a job loss - especially one due to the greed of corporations and outsourcing should literally ruin a person? How is that remotely right? How on earth will hat help the economy?

Id manage.

Id manage.

Really? Tell me how. Say you've been at a company for 10 years and you're making 50K a year... trying to move up. You have a mortgage, two kids, two cars etc. You also have very little in savings (like the majority of Americans who live paycheck to paycheck) due to the fact that a dollar doesn't go very far anymore. Both you and your husband lose your jobs tomorrow, and try as you might, the option is to take a minimum wage job or go on unemployment and keep your house. Wait... there is no unemployment to fall back on. Not to mention, you've lost your health insurance. Now you have no income, no insurance and someone gets sick, breaks an arm, has a bad infection. Seriously... tell me. What would you do?

Also, you didn't answer my question. In this country, it is ok with you to watch millions of people forced into financial ruin due to the loss of their livelihoods through no fault of their own? Do you realize what would happen to these people? You want a class war? By god, this is the quickest way to go about it...

Last edited:
People need move out of their comfort zones. We shouldnt have more than 1 year benefits, well we shouldnt have any at all, but obviously thats not going to happen overnight.

Why? What would you do if you suddenly lost your job? What if you AND your husband/wife lost their job. You really think a job loss - especially one due to the greed of corporations and outsourcing should literally ruin a person? How is that remotely right? How on earth will hat help the economy?

My wife lost her job and within 3 weeks found a new one and started 4 weeks to the day after she lost her job.

She was forced to take a salary of 40% of her original salary.

She did what she had to do to make ends meet.

And you need to get off that greed of corporations thingy. Yes, there are a few out there...but the majority of business owners were forced to lay off due to the recession coupled with their inability to get bridge loans for payroll due to the credit meltdown.

It was not becuase the business owners were greedy.

Jeez...you are rapidly falling into Truthmatters' category.

My wife lost her job and within 3 weeks found a new one and started 4 weeks to the day after she lost her job.

She was forced to take a salary of 40% of her original salary.

What if she couldn't get even that job? There are 6 people vying for every job available. What if 3 weeks turns into 6 into 1 year?

And you need to get off that greed of corporations thingy.

Every corporation that outsourced did so out of greed - it was purely profit driven and NOT for the survival of the company. Sorry, but that is the truth. What you are talking about are small businesses, very few of whom outsourced.

I am 100% behind small business owners. They are the ones who laid people off only when absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
Id manage.

Really? Tell me how. Say you've been at a company for 10 years and you're making 50K a year... trying to move up. You have a mortgage, two kids, two cars etc. You also have very little in savings (like the majority of Americans who live paycheck to paycheck) due to the fact that a dollar doesn't go very far anymore. Both you and your husband lose your jobs tomorrow, and try as you might, the option is to take a minimum wage job or go on unemployment and keep your house. Wait... there is no unemployment to fall back on. Not to mention, you've lost your health insurance. Now you have no income, no insurance and someone gets sick, breaks an arm, has a bad infection. Seriously... tell me. What would you do?

Also, you didn't answer my question. In this country, it is ok with you to watch millions of people forced into financial ruin due to the loss of their livelihoods through no fault of their own? Do you realize what would happen to these people? You want a class war? By god, this is the quickest way to go about it...

You asked, I will asnwer.
Mortgage and 2 cars living poaycheck to paycheck? That was my msitake to begiun with...but I digress.....
There IS unemployment for at least 6 months. To supplement the unemployment check we BOTH are receiving, I am dipoping into my retiurement account IF necessary.

Lost my health insurance? Thank God for the emergency room. Tax payers NEVER complained about their dollars being used to supplement those that had to use the emergency room but had no insurance. Funny, Obama said we did, but I never heard anyone complain about that...but again I digress....

No fault of their own? Built a life and a family on an income that forces them to save no money and not be able to have a back up plan if disaster hit? Really? That is not their fault?

Seems they were living beyond their means to begin with.

Living withoin ones means includes a back up plan if you lose your job, your ability to work, the life of your spouse, etc....

So who's fault was it that they bought a house and 2 cars with NO BACK UP PLAN?

Oh lookie.. .peepers supporting another position of something for nothing

:rolleyes:

I have been laid off at the exact some time as my then wife... the same exact time as my best friend and neighbor... and you do what you have to do... WHY??? Because it is a personal responsibility to take care of your needs and your family's needs... I lived on savings, I worked bartender jobs until I found something else.. hell I worked 2 jobs until I got another job back in my career field... my ex waitress-ed... my best friend's family and mine ate communal dinners with buying in bulk to save money between the families... I was prepared to sell the house if needed.. I was prepared to work 100 hours a week if I needed... but this is not the view of the greedy entitlement junkie, as evidenced by peeper

And you need to get off that greed of corporations thingy.

Every corporation that outsourced did so out of greed - it was purely profit driven and NOT for the survival of the company. Sorry, but that is the truth. What you are talking about are small businesses, very few of whom outsourced.

I am 100% behind small business owners. They are the ones who laid people off only when absolutely necessary.

Excuse me, but that is plain old naive.
First of all, such a small percentage of companies outsourced overseas.
The returns were foreign companies opening up plants here in the US which offset a lot of those outsourced jobs.
Finally, outsourcing is part oif a buisness model that enures a proper return....and is rarely used unl;ess their employee base is so large that it would make economic sense to do so.

Mortgage and 2 cars living poaycheck to paycheck? That was my msitake to begiun with...but I digress.....
There IS unemployment for at least 6 months. To supplement the unemployment check we BOTH are receiving, I am dipoping into my retiurement account IF necessary.

Avatar mentioned that there should be NO unemployment at all. That is what that post is referring to.

Oh lookie.. .peepers supporting another position of something for nothing

:rolleyes:

I have been laid off at the exact some time as my then wife... the same exact time as my best friend and neighbor... and you do what you have to do... WHY??? Because it is a personal responsibility to take care of your needs and your family's needs... I lived on savings, I worked bartender jobs until I found something else.. hell I worked 2 jobs until I got another job back in my career field... my ex waitress-ed... my best friend's family and mine ate communal dinners with buying in bulk to save money between the families... I was prepared to sell the house if needed.. I was prepared to work 100 hours a week if I needed... but this is not the view of the greedy entitlement junkie, as evidenced by peeper

Exactly correct.

Youdowhatyougottado.....

And no Peepers...I am not quoting Fred Flintstone.

You do what you gotta do....

It may not be easy, but you find a way to make it happen.

Finally, outsourcing is part oif a buisness model that enures a proper return....and is rarely used unl;ess their employee base is so large that it would make economic sense to do so.

Bullshit. It is a business model to inflate profits due to the exploitation of third world workers and to take advantage of no safety or environmental regulation, and you know it. Why do you pretend?

And I would support getting rid of unemployment distributed by the government... IMHO that is not what government is for, to take care of your personal wants needs and responsibilities... I could do a lot better with the money that is taken out by investing in a nest egg or emergency fund... just as I could do much better investing the social security deductions on my own

So you believe there should be no unemployment safety net? And do you think it would be as easy to get the jobs you mentioned in this economy, where former investment bankers here are working as baristas in Starbucks because there is nothing else? How many people are on unemployment now? What would happen to them if they were suddenly dumped off?

First of all, such a small percentage of companies outsourced overseas.

2.4 million real-wage paying jobs went to China alone from 2001-2008. That does not include outsourcing to India. You were saying?

Jeez Louise...

You are so navie to business development it is hard to debate with you

That 2.4 million jobs were attainable BECUSE they were outsourceable.

Operating costs in the US have become so high, they likely would have laid off those employees anyway.....and that would have likely caused a dwon turn in the market......

If they had to be here in the US, most of the companies would have not had a business plan to include that 2.4 million jobs.

Id manage.

It happens. Why on earth should I expect someone to employ me if they no longer have work for me to do or can get someone to do the work at half the price?

I've been let go of places before. It didn't stop me. That's why its important to be proactive. Besides, the Lord takes care of people. No point stressing over it.

If i get sick. I deal with it. It's called life. I know some people like to feel they are better than others and should be able to avoid the day to day grind and the tough parts of life.

Millions of people need to learn better lessons on finance. Living within their means for one. I'd love to live in a much bigger and nicer house. But I can't afford it. So I stick with what I can afford.

We need to stop treating people like they are helpless. They aren't. I rather agree with the following quote:

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.” (On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor (29 November 1766))

Be wise with your finances. Stop expect everything to go perfectly all the time. That's not life. When you understand that youll be able to enjoy the good and bad times rather than running around all your life blaming others for your expectations not being fulfilled.

Grow up.

Avatar mentioned that there should be NO unemployment at all. That is what that post is referring to.

And i stand by that. What part of the Constitution authorized unemployment?

I'd have to agree with Avatar there should be no unemployement insurance and there should also be no social security.

Bullshit. It is a business model to inflate profits due to the exploitation of third world workers and to take advantage of no safety or environmental regulation, and you know it. Why do you pretend?

you are too naive to business management to say I am pretending.

You are trying to debate with a man that does business management and business development for a living.

You have yet to cite anything other than talking poiints used by the left to gain your support.

There is valid reason why companies outsourced. It allowed growth, it prevented contraction...it boosted stock price...it increased productivity.....it opened the door to international reciprocity...it increased reach of good and services.

Yes, I know I lost you.....dont blame me.

Blame the media.

Forum List

Back