‘Exhausted, depressed, defeated’: The far-reaching impacts of America’s student debt crisis

Gary Lee

Gold Member
Oct 20, 2020
As one that spent >7 years to get my MBA I feel little sympathy for those that are whining. With a loan that degree can be obtained in 2 years @ which time the graduate should be employed while working on paying down their loan. It took me 7 years because I worked my way through college as have many people I personally know. The upside of this is that I graduated debt free. Make no mistake about it, taking out a student loan is by far the easy way out. However if one is a poor planner or a sluffer a loan will prove to be an insurmountable burden. The major problem I see with student loans is they are given out way to freely to under qualified applicants.

One of the biggest issues I see with college debt is students getting more education than their preferred job requires...

I work for an electric utility company. Our Electric Designer jobs (entry level Engineers) requires a two year “Engineering Technology “ degree. Most of the applicants have a 4 or 5 year degree in Electrical Engineering, often with a specialized focus on Utility Service or the like. They dropped $200K for a job they could have had with a $35K degree from a community college; then used the company’s education advancement program to get the Engineering Degree (which they only need to get to Senior Designer or transfer to other Engineering Services positions

As one that spent >7 years to get my MBA I feel little sympathy for those that are whining. With a loan that degree can be obtained in 2 years @ which time the graduate should be employed while working on paying down their loan. It took me 7 years because I worked my way through college as have many people I personally know. The upside of this is that I graduated debt free. Make no mistake about it, taking out a student loan is by far the easy way out. However if one is a poor planner or a sluffer a loan will prove to be an insurmountable burden. The major problem I see with student loans is they are given out way to freely to under qualified applicants.

Yep...there is no student loan crisis....there is a crisis of people who took on debt they can't pay back....

There needs to be control and containment when assuming education debt. Making money (credit) available to someone who feels entitled to go to a private college that is 2-3 time zones away so they can major in a field for which there is no job market only to emerge under 6 digit debt makes no sense. Going to local community and state schools with low debt assumption while majoring in a field for which there is demand in a job market makes total senses.

Watch the class and race warfare whores bitch and moan that it is not fair. What is not fair is asking the US taxpayer to pay for such asinine debt borne out of entitlement in the name of education.

The worst part is that at least 50% of the kids in college today don't even belong there. When you have to take remedial classes in college, you're wasting money and time.

Forum List

Back