End of life is near for a truly fine man

They were called the 'Greatest Generation' for good reason.

They may be called the Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw, but don't forget it was they who gave birth to the beatniks, the hippies and the leftist, revolutionary counter-culture generation, the effects of which we are still suffering from today.

That generation may have endured the depression and defeated world-wide Fascism, but they could easily be considered as parental failures which has had a much more profound effect on the future of America than those other things.

The Vietnam War and the draft gave birth to the beatniks, the hippies and the leftist, revolutionary counter-culture generation.

I was raised by a mother and father from that Greatest Generation. My father enlisted after Pearl Harbor, became a paratrooper in the 11th Airborne, and served in the Pacific theater.

My dad told me not to enlist and was vehemently opposed to the Vietnam War.

Last edited:
Give me seeds...and give me water.

And who is going to pay for those seeds as well as the tools and labor required to dig the wells? Voluntary contributions or forcible theft from people that earned the means to buy their own seeds?

It makes a difference.

Give me seeds...and give me water.

And who is going to pay for those seeds as well as the tools and labor required to dig the wells? Voluntary contributions or forcible theft from people that earned the means to buy their own seeds?

It makes a difference.

It makes all the difference in the world. Literally.

Hey Einstein...WHO pays for THIS?

Iraq_header_2.jpg

Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly, I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked about such a thing.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

It makes a difference.

Iraq_header_2.jpg

Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly, I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked about such a thing.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Forcible redistribution prevents war? Whatever you say genius. :cuckoo:

Iraq_header_2.jpg

Dwight D. Eisenhower

I didn't say that! I asked WHO pays for THIS?

Iraq_header_2.jpg

Our nation is somewhat sad, but we’re angry. There’s a certain level of blood lust, but we won’t let it drive our reaction. We’re steady, clear-eyed and patient, but pretty soon we’ll have to start displaying scalps.
George W. Bush

Last edited:

It makes a difference.

Iraq_header_2.jpg

Dwight D. Eisenhower

What does this have to do with the price of a flagon of rice?
I'm no warfare/welfare state proponent.

Iraq_header_2.jpg

Dwight D. Eisenhower

What does this have to do with the price of a flagon of rice?
I'm no warfare/welfare state proponent.

One that confounds good and evil is an enemy to good.
Edmund Burke

Go find another thread to post your ignorance.

:lmao:

You're not very bright, heh? That's OK. Your thread, much like your thought process, is lack luster.

Hunter S. Thompson, the “gonzo” journalist who famously chronicled McGovern’s 1972 campaign in the book “Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail ’72,” blamed McGovern’s loss on a combination of factors. The rightward tilting mood of the country following the left-driven social upheaval of the 1960s may have helped Nixon, Thompson wrote, but so did mistakes such as McGovern’s failure to investigate Eagleton before choosing him as a running mate.

MCGOVERNANN.jpg

“McGovern made some stupid mistakes,” Thompson wrote in the 1973 book, “but in context they seem almost frivolous compared to the things Richard Nixon does every day of his life, on purpose, as a matter of policy and a perfect expression of everything he stands for.”

Despite the one-sided result of the ’72 election, McGovern’s candidacy remains a staple of American political history. Bill Kauffman wrote a 2006 article about the legacy of the campaign for The American Conservative.

“In the clutter and chaos of the campaign, one discerns themes that place McGovern on a whole other plane from that drab anteroom of Democratic losers, the Mondales and Dukakises and Humphreys and Kerrys,” Kauffman wrote. “George McGovern had convictions; like Barry Goldwater in 1964, he stood for a set of ideals rooted in the American past. He spoke of open government, peace, the defense of the individual and the community against corporate power, a Congress that reasserts the power to declare war.”

Iraq_header_2.jpg

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Iraq_header_2.jpg

Our nation is somewhat sad, but we’re angry. There’s a certain level of blood lust, but we won’t let it drive our reaction. We’re steady, clear-eyed and patient, but pretty soon we’ll have to start displaying scalps.
George W. Bush

Are you in the habit of bringing up points that have nothing to do with the discussion at hand?

Iraq_header_2.jpg

George W. Bush

Are you in the habit of bringing up points that have nothing to do with the discussion at hand?

Are you in the habit of revealing that you had a lobotomy, or is it just something you can't control?

Go In Peace.

History will judge people one way.

Those personally affected will likely judge them a different way.

Iraq_header_2.jpg

George W. Bush

Are you in the habit of revealing that you had a lobotomy, or is it just something you can't control?

An unwarranted ad hominem attack. How very typical.

:lmao:

You're not very bright, heh? That's OK. Your thread, much like your thought process, is lack luster.

A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.
Oscar Wilde

Actually I'm very bright. You obviously have no understanding of history, security or how and why America won the Cold War. I'm sure you will parrot the right wing myth that Ronbo Reagan rode in on a white horse rattling a saber and scared the Russians into submission.

The truth is America greatly outproduced the Soviets in food and agriculture, and we used it as an economic tool that the USSR could never match. We were able to win the hearts and minds, not through aggression, but through nutrition. And we won the war without firing a shot.

"Food is strength, and food is peace, and food is freedom, and food is a helping to people around the world whose good will and friendship we want."
President John F, Kennedy

There will be some who will question why the United States should worry about hunger abroad when it has problems of its own at home. With the ongoing financial crisis, it's easy to ignore the desperate needs of those in far away lands.

After World War II, the "Greatest Generation" did not take that approach and helped Europe and Asia fight hunger. Secretary of State George Marshall, realizing that hunger and chaos abroad threatened America's security, stated, "We can act for our own good by acting for the world's good."

In 1954, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed what was then known as the Agricultural Trade Development and Assistance Act, or Public Law 480. In 1961, the law got another name when President Kennedy expanded the program and renamed it "Food for Peace."

Fighting hunger was a part of the Eisenhower administration strategy right from the get-go. Just months into office, riots broke out against Soviet and Communist domination in East Germany. Where there is chaos, you are certain to find food shortages and this was certainly the case for East Germany. The U.S. responded quickly with 15 million dollars worth of shipments to Berlin to fight hunger. Eisenhower stated, "we asked no remuneration, no return, no exchange of goods. We just put it there for humanitarian purposes."

Harold Stassen, one of Ike's assistants during the crisis, wrote: "The East Germans remembered who fed them when they starved and remain grateful to this day....the window of freedom those millions of East Germans glimpsed during this period, and their brutalization by the Soviet oppressors, laid the foundations for the political events of 1989. The whole world can thank Dwight Eisenhower for reaching out to "feed the hungry Germans."

JFK set out the logic for the program saying, "Food is strength, and food is peace, and food is freedom, and food is a helping to people around the world whose good will and friendship we want."

Yet the program has always had a purpose beyond the humanitarian one. As Eisenhower said, the legislation will "lay the basis for a permanent expansion of our exports of agricultural products with lasting benefits to ourselves and people of other lands."

In other words, let's help our farmers at the same time as we help hungry people in places that might breed war and terrorism without our help.

Food for Peace was actually an outgrowth of the Marshall Plan to help rebuild war torn countries after World War II. ref ref

Forum List

Back