Employees at a Kentucky candle factory destroyed by tornadoes claim they were told they would be fired if they left early, a new report says

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
1639453144848.png

Employees at a Kentucky candle factory that was destroyed by this weekend’s devastating tornadoes said supervisors told workers they would be fired if they left their shifts early to seek shelter from the impending storms.

Eight people died when the Mayfield Consumer Products facility collapsed during the storms, according to the Courier-Journal. The National Guard told local news outlet WLEX-TV that they concluded the search late Monday.

The factory was among the hardest hit locations as tornadoes and extreme weather tore through multiple states in the Midwest late Friday, causing catastrophic damage and killing dozens of people.

As sirens for extreme weather began to ring around 5:30 p.m. local time, at least 15 employees at the factory requested to leave early to take shelter at home from the coming tornadoes, NBC News reported. Four employees claimed that managers ignored their requests and even told workers they’d probably be fired if they departed early.

View attachment 575534

Employees at a Kentucky candle factory that was destroyed by this weekend’s devastating tornadoes said supervisors told workers they would be fired if they left their shifts early to seek shelter from the impending storms.

Eight people died when the Mayfield Consumer Products facility collapsed during the storms, according to the Courier-Journal. The National Guard told local news outlet WLEX-TV that they concluded the search late Monday.

The factory was among the hardest hit locations as tornadoes and extreme weather tore through multiple states in the Midwest late Friday, causing catastrophic damage and killing dozens of people.

As sirens for extreme weather began to ring around 5:30 p.m. local time, at least 15 employees at the factory requested to leave early to take shelter at home from the coming tornadoes, NBC News reported. Four employees claimed that managers ignored their requests and even told workers they’d probably be fired if they departed early.

I think you are talking about the Amazon warehouse in Illinois, not the candle factory in Mayfield Kentucky. Check multiple references.
1639454347220.png

1639454436069.png

1639454492344.png

Attachments

• 1639454278337.png
    1639454278337.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 22
Was both.
Any major reference or just media/publications I've never heard of? Not sure I would put it past Amazon for some reason, but I grew up at 4740 Old Mayfield Rd, about 18 miles from there. People in that small town really are, generally good rural people, but probably wouldn't hold back from giving somebody a country ass whippin if they tried to block an exit or threatened some kind of company action during an emergency, to make people stay. It used to be that kind of place. You'd like it.

Stupid Sheeple. I would have said "Da fuq you gonna do? Lock me inside? Bye asshole."

Personal responsibility is your own and nobody else's.
Then you would have hollered about personal responsibility while these people were fighting for unemployment. Maybe drop the dumbshit for once?

Then you would have hollered about personal responsibility while these people were fighting for unemployment. Maybe drop the dumbshit for once?

That made absolutely no sense. Are you on drugs or something?

Stupid Sheeple. I would have said "Da fuq you gonna do? Lock me inside? Bye asshole."

Personal responsibility is your own and nobody else's.
Seems to suggest these people are pretty desperate to keep their jobs.

Had they left and no tornado came you would have been attacking them for being snowflakes and for walking out of their jobs.

Lets face it, you would attack them no matter what, it is just who you are

What makes you think that? I've walked off of more than several jobs.

Seems to suggest these people are pretty desperate to keep their jobs.

No job is worth dying over. The last place I'd want to be in a tornado is in a big flat building with hundreds of tons of conveyors, package-sorting equipment, fork lifts, and merchandise.

Guess what? They were more likely safer from any tornado that they would have been traveling to or in their homes. Schools do not dismiss students and put them in buses and cars when the weather is dangerous. In my 21 years, there were plenty of times where school was dismissed several hours in advance of potential bad weather, but more often they held the students in the safety of the school.

These deaths were just an example of bad luck.

Forum List

Back