Employees are spending the equivalent of a month’s grocery bill on the return to the office–and growing more resentful than ever

As long as the work gets done. I manage a large apartment building and live next door (provided by employer). I have no set hours but all tasks and duties must be done. How I schedule them is up to me. I have no set time to start or finish, and I often have to work some on the weekends. I take comp time when things are slow if am called on to put in excessive hours. It also should be noted that in my job and that of work-from-home moms that we are always on 'stand-by' if needed. This has to count for something.

Don't get me wrong, I work a hybrid office/telework schedule since COVID after being on full telework for quite awhile. Love it.

Just saying there are some personality profiles and work combinations where teleworking actually leads to higher productivity. On the other hand there are other personality profiles and work combinations where it doesn't work as well.

We're talking wide variations of people and work, there is no one "right" answer.

WW

1707066131823.png

Oh, and if you are someone grousing about spending a "months grocery bill" having to return to the office.

Don't complain, get one of the above and pack your lunch instead of eating out every day.

Just say'n.

WW

Last edited:
"Shut up and get your ass back to work or I'll find somebody that will" is sometimes an appropriate answer to employee concerns.

Of course, it has been said, I can be a bit crude, effective and efficient, but crude.

Exactly. We just received our return to work directive last week for all corporate employees. They aren't even requiring every day, just three days a week, but people are whining and gnashing their teeth. Meanwhile, the retail employees never had the privilege of working from home. They've been at the retail locations every day, even through COVID and the corporate employees are behaving like it's the end of the world that they actually have to go into the office three days a week, as if they never knew the honeymoon would eventually end.

Exactly. We just received our return to work directive last week for all corporate employees. They aren't even requiring every day, just three days a week, but people are whining and gnashing their teeth. Meanwhile, the retail employees never had the privilege of working from home. They've been at the retail locations every day, even through COVID and the corporate employees are behaving like it's the end of the world that they actually have to go into the office three days a week, as if they never knew the honeymoon would eventually end.
Such a cross to bear. Tsk, tsk.

I’ve never had a job I could do for a computer at home, and hope I never do

Actually, its more like gaining some actual productivity from their employees...but yes, its their call and not yours. So find another job if you don't like the one you have.
Ooops, sorry....that's self responsibility and I know you hate that....
Good friend has been working almost exclusively from home for almost 4 years now. He is more productive, and no longer has to deal with being at the office at 5am or midnight for conference calls with people in other time zones. (He works in customs compliance, so half the people he deals with are in Asia or Europe.) His employer seems fine with it, since they announced last summer that it is going to be permanent unless an employee explicitly ASKS to return to the office.

As long as the work gets done. I manage a large apartment building and live next door (provided by employer). I have no set hours but all tasks and duties must be done. How I schedule them is up to me. I have no set time to start or finish, and I often have to work some on the weekends. I take comp time when things are slow if am called on to put in excessive hours. It also should be noted that in my job and that of work-from-home moms that we are always on 'stand-by' if needed. This has to count for something.
I think your schedule is good. I've always believed a steady 8 hour day, every day, leads to burnout and boredom. Alot of unhappy workers out there today. Having different hours and different schedules is better for the brain.

Also, you can spread your working hours over the entire day.

And if you get a brain storm at 10 o’clock at night, you can act on it.
Riiiiggght...
Or you can take off all day and only attend meetings by phone while lounging at the beach.

Good friend has been working almost exclusively from home for almost 4 years now. He is more productive, and no longer has to deal with being at the office at 5am or midnight for conference calls with people in other time zones. (He works in customs compliance, so half the people he deals with are in Asia or Europe.) His employer seems fine with it, since they announced last summer that it is going to be permanent unless an employee explicitly ASKS to return to the office.
And some jobs are individual contributors with no actual team reporting to them where this works. And many jobs are not and require people in a location with leadership to ensure theey get work done.

The WFH gave EVERYONE a massive boost in pay without it costing corporations any money.

And realistically wages have been falling since WW2 when adjusted for inflation. No longer can families afford to live off of a single income.

Office work comes with stresses that are not office related. Such as commuting, vehicle maintenance and repair and parking. Finding appropriate office clothing and jewelry to wear. Packing a lunch or eating out is not the biggest stress. Although eating out does add stress.

The pressure to "Return to Office" has a source....and it's not coming from the company itself....it's coming from the bond holders that loaned the money to build the office. These are banks and investment companies (like Blackrock, Prudential and JPMORGAN)

Commercial Real Estate is in the dumpster and has been a dumpster fire for a while now....especially as leases are not renewed. Most commercial real estate is selling for half price when forced to sell. The commercial paper backing up these office complexes isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Currently office towers are at 20% occupancy rates when they once were at 95% and more being built every day. The highest priced cities having the lowest occupancy rates. Many companies are utilizing the WFH trend and saving the money....some can't due to pressures from investors also holding commercial paper and office buildings.

WFH is here to stay. Retaining and hiring qualified labor is going to have this as either a benefit or an employee cost depending upon the company position. And it's going to be huge for employees to make that choice when considering multiple job offers or an enticing offer from another company.

It's far easier to supervise, and direct your employees, when they are physically present, on site. And let's just cut to the chase here. That's what this is really all about. These employees don't want their boss breathing down their necks, and observing, and evaluating their performance

If the job is getting done, what does it matter where it's getting done from?
If you can do the job the way I described, then you are working for the government.
Working remotely has been around a long, long time with certain jobs as I described. The Dimtards ruined things for people with their fake leftyvirus shutdowns, and now everyone expects to be able to work from home. Not all jobs are built for that.

If the job is getting done, what does it matter where it's getting done from?
Because the the employees efficiency, and performance cannot be effectively evaluated through off site working. That's why we have supervisors. So they can supervise, and determine if an employee has the proper workload, and gets the job done effectively, and efficiently.

Because the the employees efficiency, and performance cannot be effectively evaluated through off site working. That's why we have supervisors. So they can supervise, and determine if an employee has the proper workload, and gets the job done effectively, and efficiently.
Ummm
My wife has been supervising a whole department from a different state than they work in for years now.

Just saying....

Depends on the EE and the job they do.

Not to you specifically, but to readers in general - Being able to effectively telework isn't a true/false, yes/no, binary 0/1, black/white situation. There are a lot of factors to look at when it comes to teleworking and whether a person/job is conducive to it.

WW

Ummm
My wife has been supervising a whole department from a different state than they work in for years now.

Just saying....
Regardless, it can be done more thoroughly if everyone was in house. If good enough, is "good enough"; so be it. Some employers want more than just good enough...

Forum List

Back