Electric Cars and Gasoline Taxes

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Imagine that I have a car that averages 25mpg, and I drive 12,000 miles per year, all of that within the state of Pennsylvania. I buy all my gas in Pennsylvania. I therefore buy 480 gallons of gas each year, and pay $0.587 dollars per gallon in state gasoline taxes, totaling roughly $280. These gasoline taxes presumably pay "my fair share" of the cost of building and maintaining the state road infrastructure in Pennsylvania. Parenthetically, I use the PA turnpike quite a bit, and pay a couple hundred a year in turnpike tolls as well. Pennsylvania has a separate Turnpike Commission, with a separate budget, etc.

So if I replace that car with an electric car, I will be paying some extra state taxes on my utility bill associated with the cost of charging the car, but those taxes don't go to fix the roads (unless you consider that all tax dollars are fungible in that sense).

The state legislature has begun considering a plan to charge a separate user fee (or whatever they call it) for owners of electric cars, so that they, too, will pay their "fair share" to keep up the road infrastructure. Note that we do have a means of checking mileage on cars annually. The odometer reading is reported when a car is purchased, sold, and at least once a year, when it must pass a safety inspection by a certified mechanic. And it would be easy enough to require that everyone report the odometer readings on their cars when they file their state income taxes. That would capture almost all of the same vehicles/miles.

Then also, we must consider the federal taxes on gasoline. They must also get their taste. There is a Federal tax of $0.184 per gallon, thus accumulating to another $88 on top of the $280.

Would it be fair to charge me road infrastructure fees of $368 per year if I buy an electric car (prorated for actual mileage, of course). I calculate that that comes out to a fraction over $0.03/mile.

Yes, electric car owners should be required to pay their fair share of the taxes, since their cars cause wear and tear on the roads just like any other vehicles.

Would it be fair to charge me road infrastructure fees of $368 per year if I buy an electric car (prorated for actual mileage, of course). I calculate that that comes out to a fraction over $0.03/mile.

It would be fair and should be done
Like you said, they check your odometer every year when you get your car inspected

Or not ... the true killer of roads are semi-trucks ... raise PUC taxes on the trucking industry ... use the "weight-mile" rate and then add the taxes that would have been paid at the pump ...

Does this mean electric cars get a pass from paying road taxes? ... I guess so, in States with an abundance of hydro- and wind-power, and a population of freaktoid rabid liberals, this is yet another incentive to go buy a "carbon-neutral" electric ... whereas States that still rely on coal power, and a population of freaktoid rabid liberals, we'd want to de-incentivize "carbon-intense" electric vehicles ... tax the living shit out of them, worse polluters than diesel rigs ...

For Oregon having the reputation of being the Bluest of the Blue ... it might surprise you we have no vehicle inspections of any kind, it's illegal to disable the smog controls on your rig, just no one checking or enforcing ... amazing how the Conservative East can be so quick to give up their own civil liberties ... last time I was in DMV, the clerk had to help me with the vision test ... driving while blind is a constitutional right ...

Or not ... the true killer of roads are semi-trucks ... raise PUC taxes on the trucking industry ... use the "weight-mile" rate and then add the taxes that would have been paid at the pump ...

Does this mean electric cars get a pass from paying road taxes? ... I guess so, in States with an abundance of hydro- and wind-power, and a population of freaktoid rabid liberals, this is yet another incentive to go buy a "carbon-neutral" electric ... whereas States that still rely on coal power, and a population of freaktoid rabid liberals, we'd want to de-incentivize "carbon-intense" electric vehicles ... tax the living shit out of them, worse polluters than diesel rigs ...

For Oregon having the reputation of being the Bluest of the Blue ... it might surprise you we have no vehicle inspections of any kind, it's illegal to disable the smog controls on your rig, just no one checking or enforcing ... amazing how the Conservative East can be so quick to give up their own civil liberties ... last time I was in DMV, the clerk had to help me with the vision test ... driving while blind is a constitutional right ...
Funny you should ask.

You can microchip your pet and monitor it from home.
Your car (newer models) already report to their makers.
Simple enough to mandate the information that's already being gathered be handed over to government. Since it includes GPS information it's also a great opportunity to fine you mightily for every speed violation, passing in a no-passing (does that mean you can't shit on the street there, even in California?) zone, even parking offenses.

Or to make it jucier just use the information gathered by the microichip you'll get with your Chinese Virus vaccination to track you, not your car, and assess each individual driving or riding in the vehicle rather than the vehicle itself.

Just a small extension to the kind of internal passport scheme giving so many liberals wet dreams worldwide:

Do it with a chip instead of an armband or paper/plastic card and you can instantly tax anything!

Are you paying attention Chairman Xiden?

Forum List

Back