Ed Asner

Hard core leftist who never let reality influence his political choices.
Typical Hollywood cretin. I hope he and Rob Reiner, Ben Affleck, etc. have a nice chat in the after life
if Big Ed even believes in such nonsense which I doubt.

Fair to middling actor, but I couldn't stand him off screen. Still, RIP, Ed

Like most actors, Ed was never really acting, Lou Grant was basically Ed Asner. Too bad Ed was never as nice in real life as he was on the screen.

And whoever thought he'd outlive Mary by several years! And Dick van Dyke! 95 years young and still going.

Betty White is still ticking

And for the life of me, I don't know why. She isn't funny in the slightest, she's not anything of a good actress, and she was never even pretty. I could never figure out her persona where supposedly she played around a lot with other men---- who would want her? She isn't a bit sexy either.

And yet she seemed to land role after role on TV.

Michael Moore wrote a touching tribute. thought i'd share it:

When I was making my first film, Roger & Me, I was broke, so I wrote to some famous people to ask for help. Only one responded: Ed Asner.

“I don’t know you, kid, but here’s 500 bucks,” said the note attached to the check. “Sounds like it’ll be a great film. I was an autoworker once.”

He also eventually became a union president (SAG), the star of one of the best TV dramas ever (“The Lou Grant Show”) and one of the best animated films of all time (“Up”). He always showed up, supporting progressive/left movements across the country. He took on Reagan and fought against American support of Latin American dictators. Kimberly-Clark (Kleenex) and Vidal Sassoon, sponsors of his CBS drama, told the network that if they couldn’t get Ed to end his political activism, they’d pull their ads from his “Lou Grant” show. CBS told Ed to tamp it down. He wouldn’t, so the sponsors pulled their ads and the award-winning Lou Grant came to an end. He once told me, “Look, it’s never been easy in this country to speak out against the status quo. I’m not going to stop now.” He never did and I loved him for it. It still isn’t easy, Ed, and we will miss you. You once told Mary Tyler Moore on her show, “Mary, you’ve got spunk. I HATE spunk!” Hahaha. The funniest thing about that line was that you were nothing BUT spunk!

R.I.P. Ed Asner.
Solidarity forever.

the star of one of the best TV dramas ever (“The Lou Grant Show”)
Never heard of it.

and one of the best animated films of all time (“Up”).
Never heard of it.

He took on Reagan
What was there to take on?

CBS told Ed to tamp it down. He wouldn’t, so the sponsors pulled their ads and the award-winning Lou Grant came to an end.
Typical intransigent, self-destructive progressive-leftist. Can't change direction to save their own life.

Never heard of it.

Never heard of it.

What was there to take on?

Typical intransigent, self-destructive progressive-leftist. Can't change direction to save their own life.
i don't know Lou Grant either but Up is a great movie

Fair to middling actor, but I couldn't stand him off screen.

Still, RIP, Ed
I loved him as Lou Grant! Those two were the perfect foil for each other.

Thanks for all the many laughs, Ed. You done good.

I remember him in Roots.Ralph Waite(John Walton)brought a young slave girl into his cabin and asked him if he wanted a belly warmer.You know he hammered her.He was probably like that in real life the scum bag.

Ed Asner in character on ABC's Roots.

Like most actors, Ed was never really acting, Lou Grant was basically Ed Asner. Too bad Ed was never as nice in real life as he was on the screen.

And whoever thought he'd outlive Mary by several years! And Dick van Dyke! 95 years young and still going.

Moore was a insulin dependent diabetic many years of her life. Diabetes is like cancer, it just works a lot slower. It doesn't surprise me he lived longer than her.

Just shows corroded our society has become that when someone dies the first thing out of a poster‘s mouth is that person’s politics even if politics was secondary to that person’s career. Says more about the poster than the deceased.

Ed Asher was a terrific actor. He was great in matter what kind of role he acted in. RIP, Ed Asner.

Nobody asked him about his politics, like most liberals, he was very open about it. It surprises you that such a leftist would be criticized about his politics in a political forum?

Forum List

Back