Ecuador police, military enter Guayaquil jail amid violence

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
A police and military operation to enter a jail in the southern Ecuadorean city of Guayaquil amid disturbances mobilized more than a thousand personnel, officials said on Saturday.

The Regional Guayas jail is located next to the Penitenciaria del Litoral prison, where 118 inmates were killed in the country's worst-ever prison violence earlier this week. read more

One would think that there would have been random checks for contraband beforehand.

A police and military operation to enter a jail in the southern Ecuadorean city of Guayaquil amid disturbances mobilized more than a thousand personnel, officials said on Saturday.

The Regional Guayas jail is located next to the Penitenciaria del Litoral prison, where 118 inmates were killed in the country's worst-ever prison violence earlier this week. read more

One would think that there would have been random checks for contraband beforehand.
I wouldn't want to be that informant following the release of that article. It indicated info was known about a plan to bring in more weapons and guard uniforms to one of the prison gangs. No kidding about checking for weapons they later confiscated. These weren't the type of homemade weapons they make inside so looks like a few guards have accepted a payoff or have received death threats about family members perhaps.

It amazes me what is allowed to go on in jails across the country in the name of "keeping things orderly". A local jail allows for instant racial segregation among the "tribes" they even use that term openly (distinct racial division happens in most prisons but this is a jail), knows who the pod bosses are and allows them to rule inside each pod. I've watched a few prison life documentaries following particular inmates, and the level of control given to the bosses by the guards to, as they claim, "helps keep things peaceful" is remarkable.

I wouldn't want to be that informant following the release of that article. It indicated info was known about a plan to bring in more weapons and guard uniforms to one of the prison gangs. No kidding about checking for weapons they later confiscated. These weren't the type of homemade weapons they make inside so looks like a few guards have accepted a payoff or have received death threats about family members perhaps.

It amazes me what is allowed to go on in jails across the country in the name of "keeping things orderly". A local jail allows for instant racial segregation among the "tribes" they even use that term openly (distinct racial division happens in most prisons but this is a jail), knows who the pod bosses are and allows them to rule inside each pod. I've watched a few prison life documentaries following particular inmates, and the level of control given to the bosses by the guards to, as they claim, "helps keep things peaceful" is remarkable.
I wouldn't either. All of the detention facilities in Ecuador have had gang wars/riots ongoing since February. One of the gang leaders, Jorge Luis Zambrano, was murdered in December. I bet you're right that and there was a combination of payoffs and death threats. Accept one or the other.

Forum List

Back