Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth

Attachments

• $pisa-scores.jpg
    $pisa-scores.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 132
Was gonna blame portable electronic devices like cellphones actually. Saw a news item yesterday showing kids between classes, all of whom we walking while looking down at the devices in their hands.

I think such technology is redirecting attention from academics to whatever they're looking at and talking about. Absent such distractions they'd be thinking about whatever lesson they just left, not what some celeb did, or some friend just texted to them. Outta ban them from schools. No reasonable reason children need such things at school.

maybe we need to place a higher priority on education in this country.

It worked in the past

Garbage in, garbage out.

In many of these countries, dumb kids are systematically weeded out of the test pool.

Garbage in, garbage out.

In many of these countries, dumb kids are systematically weeded out of the test pool.
we lower the standards for our dumb kids.

Gotta be fair.

Perhaps.

But that doesn't make these garbage comparisons any more valid.

Back in the 80's New Hampshire used to routinely top the state ranks in SAT performance, and then it was revealed that they actively discouraged dumb kids from taking them. Kind of a hollow victory wouldn't you say?

If Americans were really so much dumber than the rest of the world, for as long as we've been hearing this, there would have been at least some proof in the pudding by now. But there really isn't any.

Was gonna blame portable electronic devices like cellphones actually. Saw a news item yesterday showing kids between classes, all of whom we walking while looking down at the devices in their hands.

I think such technology is redirecting attention from academics to whatever they're looking at and talking about. Absent such distractions they'd be thinking about whatever lesson they just left, not what some celeb did, or some friend just texted to them. Outta ban them from schools. No reasonable reason children need such things at school.

I blame the notion that everyone has to go to college, and all secondary education is geared towards this. We have kids in school today that should be out doing appreticeships, or transferred to more hands on training schools, and not prepped for college courses they dont need, won't understand, and will not get any use out of.

maybe we need to place a higher priority on education in this country.

It worked in the past

We need another nationally directed science program like the space race to the moon. Something sexy to get people excited about science again.

Race to Mars maybe. Quite a few technological hurdles to be overcome with manned-interplanetary travel.

Sure, that would be really expensive.

And if there's something we've learned from progressive extremists, it's that the more money you throw at a failing system, the better it will work!

Oh..wait...damn.

A classical education approach should be our priority right now. I agree that technology is NOT appropriate in schools, at least the way it's being used right now. I wish schools would revert back to how they were in the 1950s, educationally speaking of course. Please don't assume I mean in any other way than how subjects were taught, from books and practice, not by iPads and other distracting devices that only hinder student attention spans.

Garbage in, garbage out.

Maybe dumb teachers should be weeded out. After all of these decades with millions of books written we can't find books written by people smarter than most teachers. LOL

Thinking as a Science (1916) by Henry Hazlitt
Henry Hazlitt - Thinking as a Science
http://librivox.org/thinking-as-a-science-by-henry-hazlitt/

What would happen if teachers were forced to teach with books written by really brainy people. Isaac Asimov's IQ was 160. He wrote a book about Shakespeare. What is the IQ of most high school English teachers?

psik

Last edited by a moderator:
The U.S. is not far off the OECD average in reading and science and just 3% lower in mathematics. Maybe not so bad, considering the racial handicap the U.S. suffers in the gene pool.

A tempest in a tea kettle?

Forum List

Back