Driverless cars are coming.

Unsignaled grade crossings are nothing unusual in rural areas.
He obviously never leaves the ghetto.

I don't live in a ghetto. Never have. But I have lived in quite a few rural areas.

I have probably logged more miles on roads than you have. I have seen plenty of railroad crossing that had no signals. But they WERE marked by stationary signs. Are you saying where you live has railroad crossing with no signs at all?
Bluntly: you are in the wrong part of the country. The place for lots of old grade crossings is the northeast.

Oh, so there are a lot of crossings with no signs at all in the northeast? Then they will need to fix those.
And ban all animals and people from the outdoors

Are you really this daft? The cars will have sensors and cameras. The Tesla (not designed as a driverless car) has 8 cameras providing 360 degree coverage, plus 12 ultrasonic sensors that can detect both hard and soft objects, and a forward-facing radar. The car is able to "see" all around at all times. Now, if a deer runs out in front of the driverless car from the bushes, it may get hit. Just like they get hit now.

I don't live in a ghetto. Never have. But I have lived in quite a few rural areas.

I have probably logged more miles on roads than you have. I have seen plenty of railroad crossing that had no signals. But they WERE marked by stationary signs. Are you saying where you live has railroad crossing with no signs at all?
All cities are ghettos.
I'm still waiting for you to name this fantasy technology.
View attachment 171619

The signs facing the direction of the camera would be behind the car in this pic. But I do see signs facing the other way in this pics. Perhaps if the driver stopped sooner it would prove something. This pic does not.
Automatic doors can't even open on time.
You're delusional.

Right, because an automatic door, with two sensors, is the same as a driverless car. Suuuure. I'm the delusional one.

All cities are ghettos.
View attachment 171619

The signs facing the direction of the camera would be behind the car in this pic. But I do see signs facing the other way in this pics. Perhaps if the driver stopped sooner it would prove something. This pic does not.
You're delusional.

Right, because an automatic door, with two sensors, is the same as a driverless car. Suuuure. I'm the delusional one.
How many sensors in your car?

The only way I would own a driverless vehicle is if it was a secondary car and I traveled a lot.
The idea of sleeping on long road trips is compelling but I'm not sure I could actually sleep.
I cant sleep when the wife drives so I'm not sure I could trust a vehicle.

Unmarked railroad crossing? Where?

A deer in the brush? Good chance you won't see it either.

A child standing absolutely motionless? Not likely, but ok. If cameras can recognize facial features, they can certainly recognize the shape of a person, even a child.

Also, have I said anywhere in these threads that the technology is here and perfect? Or have I said that experts predict driverless cars will be here in 15 to 20 years? I have been playing 20 questions for 14 pages. You have Google. Look the shit up.

All cities are ghettos.

All cities are ghettos? lol Okey dokey. I'll have to remember that as I am walking in my neighborhood.

And, as I said, I have lived in several rural areas. Look up Delta Alabama. Yeah, that is an urban ghetto, for sure. Now find County Rd 3. Don't look on a Rand McNally map. It isn't there. But I lived there for 8 years.

Also, if you had actually bothered to READ, you would have seen that I have said (several times) that the driverless cars will be mandatory in specific urban areas and some interstates in 15 to 20 years. I even specifically said that rural areas would not be included for another 20 years.

All cities are ghettos.
View attachment 171619

You're delusional.

Just me. And almost every car you drive will have blindspots. And please don't tell me you think every driver out there has his total attention on the road, the surroundings and on driving all the time.

The only way I would own a driverless vehicle is if it was a secondary car and I traveled a lot.
The idea of sleeping on long road trips is compelling but I'm not sure I could actually sleep.

I'd like one for urban areas where close parking is almost nonexistent. Or for rush hour traffic in Atlanta. In fact, in rush hour traffic, having all driverless cars would speed things up considerably.

All cities are ghettos.
View attachment 171619

You're delusional.

Just me. And almost every car you drive will have blindspots. And please don't tell me you think every driver out there has his total attention on the road, the surroundings and on driving all the time.
Do tell me the computer that matches human thought and reason.

I'd like one for urban areas where close parking is almost nonexistent. Or for rush hour traffic in Atlanta. In fact, in rush hour traffic, having all driverless cars would speed things up considerably.

I'm retired so I dont have to drive in traffic.
The idea that I could kick back and make a 2k journey without stopping other than for gas sounds pretty cool.

A child standing absolutely motionless? Not likely, but ok. If cameras can recognize facial features, they can certainly recognize the shape of a person, even a child.

Also, have I said anywhere in these threads that the technology is here and perfect? Or have I said that experts predict driverless cars will be here in 15 to 20 years? I have been playing 20 questions for 14 pages. You have Google. Look the shit up.

All cities are ghettos.
View attachment 171619
At a guess: an abandoned spur.

Real life scenario. You are on an entrance ramp in a traffic jam and the polite driver to your left motions for you to go ahead and pull in. What does the driverless car do?

Or what if a degenerate throws a dog or cat in front of an auto car and the car slams on the brakes causing an accident or worse allowing goons to attack the car. What about black ice. What about fog. What about a hacker or terrorist taking the car over. What about a policeman waving it over the shoulder and onto the grass to keep traffic moving. I could go on all day.

In a city with minimal speed limits and no other regular cars maybe. But then you are going to charge me road taxes and not let me drive on the road, I don’t think so.

The polite driver is in a driverless car too, so it doesn't happen.
If someone throws a dog or cat in front of your auto car, the car stops. If the people behind you hit you they were following too close.
Black ice and fog will be handled by the ultrasonic sensors better than by human eyes.
The terrorists will be reported to the police and the auto car's auto defense system burns them down with lasers.
The policeman waving you to the shoulder is actually the terrorist's partner, so the auto car burns him down too.

Most states have road taxes added to the price of gasoline.

You seem to have a lot of faith in unproven and incredibly expensive technology. Have you ever walked into a store with automatic doors and slam right into the glass when they don't work like you expected them to? I see a lot on needless death and destruction caused by these vehicles before all of the kinks are worked out. You simply dismiss them out of hand.

Are we simply going to pass a law saying cars cannot have steering wheels, and if you do have one you cannot drive it? That's almost the dumbest thing I have ever heard!

It too a long time before I ever owned a car with seatbelt chimes, much less airbags anti-lock brakes, and other technologies, simply because they made cars too damn expensive for me to afford.

Trying to do what you want will devastate the economy.

I guess now I see why you went to Bama. They must have lower standards than I could possibly imagine.

I have reported what experts are saying. I provided a link to the article. And I have been answering questions about scenarios for 14 pages. You have Google.

I am saying that I believe there will be enough technological advances to make driverless cars preferable in many areas and situations. I have said nothing about the vehicles not having steering wheels. But, I guess being an auburn grad you don't mind making shit up, huh? Like the rings y'all had made for the players who didn't win the championship?

As for the death and destruction, we already have that. And it is not getting better.
"Fatalities rose 6 percent in 2016, reaching an estimated 40,200 deaths compared to 37,757 deaths the previous year, according the National Safety Council. The group gets its data from states. The last time there were more than 40,000 fatalities in a single year was in 2007, just before the economy tanked. There were 41,000 deaths that year."

40k people dead? 4.4 million people injured? $871 billion in economic loss and societal harm? The needless death and destruction is in full swing right now. Asking me about specific, isolated scenarios does not change that.

(New NHTSA Study Shows Motor Vehicle Crashes Have $871 Billion Economic and Societal Impact on U.S. Citizens)

Sorry! The technology required to make this work is complicated, expensive, and like any computer system prone to to glitches. I doubt there will be 5% of these cars on the road in 25 years. Why? They will cost $200,000 or more and will kill an inordinate amount of people before they work.

The idea that I could kick back and make a 2k journey without stopping other than for gas sounds pretty cool.

I drive 1000 miles to Texas in a single day without doing anything except stopping for gas and to use the facilities. What's the appeal, except taking a nap while trusting your life to a bunch of circuit boards and sensors?

image.jpeg

Are we teaching these cars to read also? What happens when they are covered in snow like they were here with 40 mph winds?

All cities are ghettos.

All cities are ghettos? lol Okey dokey. I'll have to remember that as I am walking in my neighborhood.

And, as I said, I have lived in several rural areas. Look up Delta Alabama. Yeah, that is an urban ghetto, for sure. Now find County Rd 3. Don't look on a Rand McNally map. It isn't there. But I lived there for 8 years.

Also, if you had actually bothered to READ, you would have seen that I have said (several times) that the driverless cars will be mandatory in specific urban areas and some interstates in 15 to 20 years. I even specifically said that rural areas would not be included for another 20 years.

Just who the fuck do you think is going to mandate those specific urban areas?

You are simply delusional on this topic!

I still want my flying car and I want it now!

I drive 1000 miles to Texas in a single day without doing anything except stopping for gas and to use the facilities. What's the appeal, except taking a nap while trusting your life to a bunch of circuit boards and sensors?

The appeal is taking a road trip without having to pay attention.
The last trip I took I went 1700 miles without stopping and I was a wreck at the end.

You're delusional.

Do tell me the computer that matches human thought and reason.

In some ways it does not and in some ways it is superior.

For example, the human brain will process seeing a truck across a road in front of him slightly faster than the computer will (if the human is not distracted). But the command to brake will come from the computer at almost the speed of light. Whereas the human lifting his foot off the gas, moving it over 6 or 8 inches, and then pushing it down will be much slower. So the application of the brakes will happen faster via computer than by a human.

And with numerous cameras, ultrasonic sensors, and radar, the driverless car is looking in all directions at the same time. Humans have to turn their heads slightly to check side mirrors.

I agree. Especially when I have been driving and start to get tired. Being able to pop on Auto Pilot sounds good.

The appeal is taking a road trip without having to pay attention.
The last trip I took I went 1700 miles without stopping and I was a wreck at the end.

That's why they invented air travel!

I'm sorry! I am too much of a control freak to get comfortable when my wife drives, so I damn sure will not be relaxed when Robby the Robot takes the wheel! I'll be a physical and emotional wreck 15 minutes into the trip!

All cities are ghettos.

Just who the fuck do you think is going to mandate those specific urban areas?

You are simply delusional on this topic!

I still want my flying car and I want it now!

The cities and the states.

Forum List

Back