Driverless cars are coming.

Automatic doors can't even open on time.
You're delusional.

Right, because an automatic door, with two sensors, is the same as a driverless car. Suuuure. I'm the delusional one.
How many sensors in your car?

Just me. And almost every car you drive will have blindspots. And please don't tell me you think every driver out there has his total attention on the road, the surroundings and on driving all the time.
Do tell me the computer that matches human thought and reason.

In some ways it does not and in some ways it is superior.

For example, the human brain will process seeing a truck across a road in front of him slightly faster than the computer will (if the human is not distracted). But the command to brake will come from the computer at almost the speed of light. Whereas the human lifting his foot off the gas, moving it over 6 or 8 inches, and then pushing it down will be much slower. So the application of the brakes will happen faster via computer than by a human.

And with numerous cameras, ultrasonic sensors, and radar, the driverless car is looking in all directions at the same time. Humans have to turn their heads slightly to check side mirrors.
Dude, you're delusional. No computer even close exists.

BTW - I was involved in the development of one of the first pattern recognition system. What's your background that qualifies you? 500 hours on the Xbox?

The only way I would own a driverless vehicle is if it was a secondary car and I traveled a lot.
The idea of sleeping on long road trips is compelling but I'm not sure I could actually sleep.
I cant sleep when the wife drives so I'm not sure I could trust a vehicle.

I'd like one for urban areas where close parking is almost nonexistent. Or for rush hour traffic in Atlanta. In fact, in rush hour traffic, having all driverless cars would speed things up considerably.

I'm retired so I dont have to drive in traffic.
The idea that I could kick back and make a 2k journey without stopping other than for gas sounds pretty cool.

I drive 1000 miles to Texas in a single day without doing anything except stopping for gas and to use the facilities. What's the appeal, except taking a nap while trusting your life to a bunch of circuit boards and sensors?

The appeal is taking a road trip without having to pay attention.
The last trip I took I went 1700 miles without stopping and I was a wreck at the end.

That's why they invented air travel!

I'm sorry! I am too much of a control freak to get comfortable when my wife drives, so I damn sure will not be relaxed when Robby the Robot takes the wheel! I'll be a physical and emotional wreck 15 minutes into the trip!

Oh I hear ya.
That would be the hardest thing to overcome. I dont trust pilots let alone computers.

The only way I would own a driverless vehicle is if it was a secondary car and I traveled a lot.
The idea of sleeping on long road trips is compelling but I'm not sure I could actually sleep.
I cant sleep when the wife drives so I'm not sure I could trust a vehicle.

I'd like one for urban areas where close parking is almost nonexistent. Or for rush hour traffic in Atlanta. In fact, in rush hour traffic, having all driverless cars would speed things up considerably.

I'm retired so I dont have to drive in traffic.
The idea that I could kick back and make a 2k journey without stopping other than for gas sounds pretty cool.

I drive 1000 miles to Texas in a single day without doing anything except stopping for gas and to use the facilities. What's the appeal, except taking a nap while trusting your life to a bunch of circuit boards and sensors?

The appeal? Preventing the tens of thousands of deaths caused by people driving under the influence, driving while texting or driving when they are exhausted.

The appeal? Controlling traffic flow to make rush hour move much faster and prevent idiots from screwing the entire thing up by trying to get 2 car lengths ahead.

I can think of a few more, but you have already made up your mind that it will signal the end of our republic. So why bother.

If you are still here in 15 or 20 years, you will see.

Right, because an automatic door, with two sensors, is the same as a driverless car. Suuuure. I'm the delusional one.

Just me. And almost every car you drive will have blindspots. And please don't tell me you think every driver out there has his total attention on the road, the surroundings and on driving all the time.

For example, the human brain will process seeing a truck across a road in front of him slightly faster than the computer will (if the human is not distracted). But the command to brake will come from the computer at almost the speed of light. Whereas the human lifting his foot off the gas, moving it over 6 or 8 inches, and then pushing it down will be much slower. So the application of the brakes will happen faster via computer than by a human.

And with numerous cameras, ultrasonic sensors, and radar, the driverless car is looking in all directions at the same time. Humans have to turn their heads slightly to check side mirrors.

BTW - I was involved in the development of one of the first pattern recognition system. What's your background that qualifies you? 500 hours on the Xbox?

I am not the one saying this will happen. The experts in the fields of automotive technology are saying it.

I am not the one saying this will happen. The experts in the fields of automotive technology are saying it.
It is a prototype vehicle not for sale to the public. $$$$$$$ and all it will do is crash and tell them they need more work. Just pray it does not kill someone while it does it.

It is a prototype vehicle not for sale to the public. $$$$$$$ and all it will do is crash and tell them they need more work. Just pray it does not kill someone while it does it.

New technology is always expensive. And then the prices come down. My brother had the first VCR I ever saw in a home. It cost almost $5k. The last one I saw for sale was around $50.

New technology is always expensive. And then the prices come down. My brother had the first VCR I ever saw in a home. It cost almost $5k. The last one I saw for sale was around $50.
It will never gain approval. Computers are at best decades away from meeting the requirements. It is a PR stunt.

Here is a link to some forecasts by experts:
Forecasts | Driverless car market watch

It will never gain approval. Computers are at best decades away from meeting the requirements. It is a PR stunt.

In case you missed it, these experts disagree.

Forecasts | Driverless car market watch

"According to biologists, the human brain has approximately 90 billion nerve cells which are linked together by, quite literally, trillions of connections called synapses. Taken together, this system of elaborate connections within the brain provides “hundreds of trillions of different pathways that brain signals travel through.”

In an effort to mimic this digitally, scientists a few years ago needed more than 82,000 processors running on one of the world’s fastest supercomputers to mimic just 1 second of a normal human’s brain activity."

How powerful is the human brain compared to a computer?

"According to biologists, the human brain has approximately 90 billion nerve cells which are linked together by, quite literally, trillions of connections called synapses. Taken together, this system of elaborate connections within the brain provides “hundreds of trillions of different pathways that brain signals travel through.”

In an effort to mimic this digitally, scientists a few years ago needed more than 82,000 processors running on one of the world’s fastest supercomputers to mimic just 1 second of a normal human’s brain activity."

And the brain performs many, many tasks. In order to operate a driverless vehicle, the computer does not need to be more powerful than the human brain. It simply takes inputs (of which the computer can handle more simultaniously) and performs programmed actions.

And, as my previous link shows, many top people in the field are projecting driverless cars in the near future.

I look forward to this for three reasons.

1. Bring back drinking road trips. Before my time, but sounds like fun.

2. When I get too freaking old to drive, I won't be stuck at home. Or the Home. This is good for other old people too.

3. Being able to send my car to pick up people and/or shit, without going myself.

And the brain performs many, many tasks. In order to operate a driverless vehicle, the computer does not need to be more powerful than the human brain. It simply takes inputs (of which the computer can handle more simultaniously) and performs programmed actions.

And, as my previous link shows, many top people in the field are projecting driverless cars in the near future.
Dude, they can't even make a robot walk in a mall without running into something. Let alone drive down a road at 50 mph with a plethora of obstacles and dangers no one will be able to program for.

Dude, they can't even make a robot walk in a mall without running into something. Let alone drive down a road at 50 mph with a plethora of obstacles and dangers no one will be able to program for.

Dude, they already HAVE made cars that navigate roads in traffic, respond to stoplights and various signs, navigate roundabout intersections and avoid accidents at various speeds. I am sure there are rare situations that might come up. But given the death, destruction and costs of our current drivers, claiming this is all a PR stunt is ridiculous.

Dude, they already HAVE made cars that navigate roads in traffic, respond to stoplights and various signs, navigate roundabout intersections and avoid accidents at various speeds. I am sure there are rare situations that might come up. But given the death, destruction and costs of our current drivers, claiming this is all a PR stunt is ridiculous.

I used to work near a experimental area where one was driving around quite a bit. Saw it all the time.

I used to work near a experimental area where one was driving around quite a bit. Saw it all the time.

I test drove a Tesla Model S a couple of years ago. The technology was amazing then. I was fascinated by the fact that the car could "read" the speed limit signs and notify you if you exceeded it by whatever margin you set. That car could haul ass too!

Why would it ever be required?

Did they outlaw manual transmissions?

Did they outlaw manual steering?

That's pure speculation with zero evidence on your part!

First it will be certain areas, to relieve parking issues. Next it will be a safety issue.

33k people died in 2014 in traffic accidents. The cost of traffic accidents runs into the billions every year.

Until we have a good idea how well these driverless cars work and how much they cost, how can you justify any of that?

It is a huge leap of faith. Will airlines start flying planes with no pilots at all?
We know there cost already, Tesla has them right now. And, yes, such computers and computing power will make individual air transport possible.
Lilium

I own two Teslas with the latest driver assist technology. While it is a great tool for drivers, it is far from as good as a person driving.

For instance, if lane markings are new it will hold a lane. If the lane markings are old or covered by dirt the warning light will show for the driver to take over. Also construction zones where the lane marking have been moved, the car tends to follow the old markings if they weren't removed totally.

The emergency braking tends to brake too early.

Emergency braking goes too early? Hmmm, and so many of the naysayers were worried about the car not braking.

Yes. Turns out that your cool automatic braking system can be all too human

And it's still occurring today.

First it will be certain areas, to relieve parking issues. Next it will be a safety issue.

33k people died in 2014 in traffic accidents. The cost of traffic accidents runs into the billions every year.

Until we have a good idea how well these driverless cars work and how much they cost, how can you justify any of that?

It is a huge leap of faith. Will airlines start flying planes with no pilots at all?
We know there cost already, Tesla has them right now. And, yes, such computers and computing power will make individual air transport possible.
Lilium

I own two Teslas with the latest driver assist technology. While it is a great tool for drivers, it is far from as good as a person driving.

For instance, if lane markings are new it will hold a lane. If the lane markings are old or covered by dirt the warning light will show for the driver to take over. Also construction zones where the lane marking have been moved, the car tends to follow the old markings if they weren't removed totally.

The Tesla has many of the technological equipment that will make driverless cars possible. I would imagine Tesla tech will be in most of them.

And, I said it would happen in the next 15 to 20 years. Tesla Motors was founded just 15 years ago. The advances in the next 15 years will make it possible.

No, until A. I. is fully developed we'll be playing with flawed technology.

Lilium

I am very curious. How well does it hold the lane when those lane markers are covered by 4-5 inches of snow like we had this morning?

It doesn't.

Lilium

I am very curious. How well does it hold the lane when those lane markers are covered by 4-5 inches of snow like we had this morning?

Every year on I-80 we have pileup wrecks.....lets see how they deal with foggy and whiteout snow squall conditions

Here's your answer: The Most Trusted Name In Collision Avoidance | Mobileye

Forum List

Back