Driverless cars are coming.

"Owners of driverless cars could be wrongly blamed for a crash even if the technology was at fault, insurers have warned."

And that would be fought in court. Successfully, in the cases where the human driver was clearly at fault.
Your driverless car hits a wall and the driver will be at fault.
But if you want to take on the army of lawyers at Tesla for $120K of damage, have at it.

A Tesla allegedly on Autopilot rams into the back of fire truck

I will be curious to see the results of the investigation.

Never will I ever trust my life to a driverless vehicle

YOu trust your life to idiots who may be under the influence, texting or exhausted. Much more dangerous.

No I don't.

And I would trust my reflexes over the program of some computer.

I put less than 20K miles total on all my vehicles a year.

No way no how am I riding in some self driving car ever.

I have been driving for well over 3 decades and have never had an accident and I only have ever gotten one speeding ticket in all that time. I think my track record is better than any driverless car to date

"Owners of driverless cars could be wrongly blamed for a crash even if the technology was at fault, insurers have warned."

And that would be fought in court. Successfully, in the cases where the human driver was clearly at fault.
But if you want to take on the army of lawyers at Tesla for $120K of damage, have at it.

Understandable how it could have missed seeing such a small object. Now the driver is at fault and will be ticketed and fined for what the car did.
1516718509783.jpg

View attachment 173057
Since Tesla does not sell the car as having full auto pilot, and states that you must keep your eyes on the road, and hands on the wheel at all times, what you have said is wrong. The driver was definitely at fault.

YOu trust your life to idiots who may be under the influence, texting or exhausted. Much more dangerous.
You just said the guy was killed because he ignored warnings, then you rant about idiot humans.

Sounds like your scenario is screwed.

Since the thread is about driverless cars, your attempt to include the Tesla is where the screwup is. It is not designed or built to be a driverless car.

And, I said the driver was killed because he ignored warnings because that is what the investigation found. My comment about idiot humans is a statement replying to another statement.

But keep trying.

Understandable how it could have missed seeing such a small object. Now the driver is at fault and will be ticketed and fined for what the car did.
1516718509783.jpg

View attachment 173057
Since Tesla does not sell the car as having full auto pilot, and states that you must keep your eyes on the road, and hands on the wheel at all times, what you have said is wrong. The driver was definitely at fault.
Yet it still let the the car smash into the fire truck.
But you're right. No one will ever snooze, text, or talk on the cell phone with driverless cars.

Driverless cars fully automated are for gullible leftist bobbleheads who do what their masters tell them what to do, despite the obvious flaws.

The flaws will be worked out. Human drivers cause 30k to 40k deaths a year. Human drivers cost billions of dollars. Human drivers are the number one cause of death in this country. So the system you cling to is not working and has not worked. I, nor any of the experts I have read, have claimed the driverless cars will be perfect. But your attitude is the equivalent of staying in a sewer because you don't want to step in mud puddles.

1516718509783.jpg

View attachment 173057
Yet it still let the the car smash into the fire truck.
But you're right. No one will ever snooze, text, or talk on the cell phone with driverless cars.

Did it? If the Tesla was at fault, I will happily admit it. But let's wait for the investigation to see what happened.

Driverless cars fully automated are for gullible leftist bobbleheads who do what their masters tell them what to do, despite the obvious flaws.

The flaws will be worked out. Human drivers cause 30k to 40k deaths a year. Human drivers cost billions of dollars. Human drivers are the number one cause of death in this country. So the system you cling to is not working and has not worked. I, nor any of the experts I have read, have claimed the driverless cars will be perfect. But your attitude is the equivalent of staying in a sewer because you don't want to step in mud puddles.
And when the driverless car system fails as it eventually will we'll have 30000 deaths in a day

And when the driverless car system fails as it eventually will we'll have 30000 deaths in a day
30,000 deaths in a day? Wow, that is some kind of crowded area to plow through.

If a nation wide self driving control crashed how many accidents do you think there would be in the first 10 minutes?
Now consider that there are over 250 million cars on the road in the US and then tell me that 30000 is a ridiculous number.

We can't even keep computers and systems from crashing at airports and you think we can flawlessly operate a nationwide sensor array that can simultaneously control and track 250 million cars.

Tell me how would you like a fully automated air traffic control system?

If a nation wide self driving control crashed how many accidents do you think there would be in the first 10 minutes?
Now consider that there are over 250 million cars on the road in the US and then tell me that 30000 is a ridiculous number.

We can't even keep computers and systems from crashing at airports and you think we can flawlessly operate a nationwide sensor array that can simultaneously control and track 250 million cars.

I have not seen any suggestion of a central control system for driverless cars. I have seen discussions of central data systems, like a GPS system with additional information concerning traffic and weather. The cars are largely autonomous.

But if, as you say, there is a central control for 250 million cars, it would be a simple thing to program each driverless car's responses to a lack of communication with the central control. On smaller roads, simply pull over, park, and turn on the flashers. On the interstates, take the next exit and park.

He has no clue about technology and how it works and does not work.

See my previous answer.

Also, I have provided a link in this thread showing some of the top experts in the various fields concerning automotive technology. But then, since you worked on the early versions of shape recognition, I am sure you know far more than they do.

I have not seen any suggestion of a central control system for driverless cars. I have seen discussions of central data systems, like a GPS system with additional information concerning traffic and weather. The cars are largely autonomous.

But if, as you say, there is a central control for 250 million cars, it would be a simple thing to program each driverless car's responses to a lack of communication with the central control. On smaller roads, simply pull over, park, and turn on the flashers. On the interstates, take the next exit and park.

It would have to be centrally controlled unless of course you want each state to come up with their own system then trust that the hand offs between states will be seamless.

And every single car stopping at the same time won't be a problem at all right? Let's hope you're the one in an ambulance when the system crashes (and it will crash) not me.

And tell me how every single car on the freeway during rush hour is going to be able to pull over into the breakdown lane.

So if each car is autonomous what happens when the computers on individual cars crash (and they will crash)?

When we can totally automate air traffic control and have all planes be pilot-less I might consider driverless cars safe, maybe.

It would have to be centrally controlled unless of course you want each state to come up with their own system then trust that the hand offs between states will be seamless.

And every single car stopping at the same time won't be a problem at all right? Let's hope you're the one in an ambulance when the system crashes (and it will crash) not me.

And tell me how every single car on the freeway during rush hour is going to be able to pull over into the breakdown lane.

So if each car is autonomous what happens when the computers on individual cars crash (and they will crash)?

Every single car stopping won't be a problem. No moving cars means no crashes. And they will all stop receiving the signal from the central system at the exact same time. But I still do not think they will all be controlled by a central system.

During rush hour no one is travelling at a high speed.

Autonomous cars will have backup systems in the event of a computer crash. Much like nuclear reactors do. They are all computerized.

Having failsafes in place will insure the cars respond in a predictable manner if the onboard computer fails.

Forum List

Back