Driverless cars are coming.

"According to biologists, the human brain has approximately 90 billion nerve cells which are linked together by, quite literally, trillions of connections called synapses. Taken together, this system of elaborate connections within the brain provides “hundreds of trillions of different pathways that brain signals travel through.”

In an effort to mimic this digitally, scientists a few years ago needed more than 82,000 processors running on one of the world’s fastest supercomputers to mimic just 1 second of a normal human’s brain activity."

How powerful is the human brain compared to a computer?

And the brain performs many, many tasks. In order to operate a driverless vehicle, the computer does not need to be more powerful than the human brain. It simply takes inputs (of which the computer can handle more simultaniously) and performs programmed actions.

And, as my previous link shows, many top people in the field are projecting driverless cars in the near future.
Dude, they can't even make a robot walk in a mall without running into something. Let alone drive down a road at 50 mph with a plethora of obstacles and dangers no one will be able to program for.

Dude, they already HAVE made cars that navigate roads in traffic, respond to stoplights and various signs, navigate roundabout intersections and avoid accidents at various speeds. I am sure there are rare situations that might come up. But given the death, destruction and costs of our current drivers, claiming this is all a PR stunt is ridiculous.

I used to work near a experimental area where one was driving around quite a bit. Saw it all the time.

I test drove a Tesla Model S a couple of years ago. The technology was amazing then. I was fascinated by the fact that the car could "read" the speed limit signs and notify you if you exceeded it by whatever margin you set. That car could haul ass too!

And two trunks!

It is a prototype vehicle not for sale to the public. $$$$$$$ and all it will do is crash and tell them they need more work. Just pray it does not kill someone while it does it.

New technology is always expensive. And then the prices come down. My brother had the first VCR I ever saw in a home. It cost almost $5k. The last one I saw for sale was around $50.
"According to biologists, the human brain has approximately 90 billion nerve cells which are linked together by, quite literally, trillions of connections called synapses. Taken together, this system of elaborate connections within the brain provides “hundreds of trillions of different pathways that brain signals travel through.”

In an effort to mimic this digitally, scientists a few years ago needed more than 82,000 processors running on one of the world’s fastest supercomputers to mimic just 1 second of a normal human’s brain activity."

And the brain performs many, many tasks. In order to operate a driverless vehicle, the computer does not need to be more powerful than the human brain. It simply takes inputs (of which the computer can handle more simultaniously) and performs programmed actions.

And, as my previous link shows, many top people in the field are projecting driverless cars in the near future.
Dude, they can't even make a robot walk in a mall without running into something. Let alone drive down a road at 50 mph with a plethora of obstacles and dangers no one will be able to program for.

Dude, they already HAVE made cars that navigate roads in traffic, respond to stoplights and various signs, navigate roundabout intersections and avoid accidents at various speeds. I am sure there are rare situations that might come up. But given the death, destruction and costs of our current drivers, claiming this is all a PR stunt is ridiculous.
Yes, they already do have some out on the road. The bodies, limbs and blood are stacking up.
tesla-autopilot-dvd.jpg

google%20car%20crash.jpg

uber-crashjpg.jpg.size.custom.crop.883x650.jpg

GOOGLE-CAR_ED.jpg

103924396-GettyImages-600194324.1910x1000.jpg

454522846.jpg

I used to work near a experimental area where one was driving around quite a bit. Saw it all the time.

I test drove a Tesla Model S a couple of years ago. The technology was amazing then. I was fascinated by the fact that the car could "read" the speed limit signs and notify you if you exceeded it by whatever margin you set. That car could haul ass too!

And two trunks!

I was very impressed with the car. It comfortably sat 5 people, press the accelerator pedal hard and it is more like a launch, and technology like the space shuttle.

New technology is always expensive. And then the prices come down. My brother had the first VCR I ever saw in a home. It cost almost $5k. The last one I saw for sale was around $50.

Yes, they already do have some out on the road. The bodies, limbs and blood are stacking up.
tesla-autopilot-dvd.jpg

google%20car%20crash.jpg

GOOGLE-CAR_ED.jpg

454522846.jpg

And all those accidents were the fault of the driverless car?

tesla-autopilot-dvd.jpg

google%20car%20crash.jpg

GOOGLE-CAR_ED.jpg

454522846.jpg

All driverless cars. The carnage is astronomical as a percentage of the cars on the road.

tesla-autopilot-dvd.jpg

google%20car%20crash.jpg

GOOGLE-CAR_ED.jpg

454522846.jpg

All driverless cars. The carnage is astronomical as a percentage of the cars on the road.

Yes, I realize they are all driverless cars. That was not my question. Were all the accidents the fault of the driverless cars?

tesla-autopilot-dvd.jpg

google%20car%20crash.jpg

GOOGLE-CAR_ED.jpg

454522846.jpg

Yes, I realize they are all driverless cars. That was not my question. Were all the accidents the fault of the driverless cars?
The first ever death in an autonomous car happened in May this year, the US road safety administration revealed yesterday. A man was killed after his Tesla, operating in Autopilot mode, hit an articulated lorry. The accident has cast doubt over the safety of the technology, but the baby should not be thrown out with the bathwater, say experts.

Joshua Brown was driving along a Florida highway in a Tesla Model S that had been switched to Autopilot mode, when a lorry joined the road from a cross street. Unable to distinguish the white truck against the brightly lit sky, the self-driving system failed to apply the brakes.

Tesla driver dies in first fatal autonomous car crash in US

add-speed-to-the-list-of-causes-for-the-tesla-model-s-autopilot-fatal-crash-109078-7.jpg

"Owners of driverless cars could be wrongly blamed for a crash even if the technology was at fault, insurers have warned."

And that would be fought in court. Successfully, in the cases where the human driver was clearly at fault.
Your driverless car hits a wall and the driver will be at fault.
But if you want to take on the army of lawyers at Tesla for $120K of damage, have at it.

tesla-autopilot-dvd.jpg

google%20car%20crash.jpg

GOOGLE-CAR_ED.jpg

454522846.jpg

The first ever death in an autonomous car happened in May this year, the US road safety administration revealed yesterday. A man was killed after his Tesla, operating in Autopilot mode, hit an articulated lorry. The accident has cast doubt over the safety of the technology, but the baby should not be thrown out with the bathwater, say experts.

Joshua Brown was driving along a Florida highway in a Tesla Model S that had been switched to Autopilot mode, when a lorry joined the road from a cross street. Unable to distinguish the white truck against the brightly lit sky, the self-driving system failed to apply the brakes.

add-speed-to-the-list-of-causes-for-the-tesla-model-s-autopilot-fatal-crash-109078-7.jpg

And the computer records show the car notified the driver 5 times that there was a problem that required his attention. The driver never stopped watching his movie. The fault is with the driver.

"Owners of driverless cars could be wrongly blamed for a crash even if the technology was at fault, insurers have warned."

And that would be fought in court. Successfully, in the cases where the human driver was clearly at fault.
But if you want to take on the army of lawyers at Tesla for $120K of damage, have at it.

I was thinking more along the lines of another car (driven by a human) hits the driverless car.

I was thinking more along the lines of another car (driven by a human) hits the driverless car.
But instead a driverless car kills its passenger because it lacks human abilities.

tesla-autopilot-dvd.jpg

google%20car%20crash.jpg

GOOGLE-CAR_ED.jpg

454522846.jpg

And the computer records show the car notified the driver 5 times that there was a problem that required his attention. The driver never stopped watching his movie. The fault is with the driver.
It warned him then proceeded to speed ahead and kill the passenger.
Yeah, no one will ever be texting or napping in a driverless car.

That Tesla was not built to be an autonomous car. That warning was given to him plainly. The two links and quotes below should plainly show you that the fault was with the driver.

The driver who died in a Tesla crash using Autopilot ignored at least 7 safety warnings
"Now, government investigators say that in the minutes leading up to the collision, Brown was audibly warned six times to keep his hands on the steering wheel. He was also warned visually, seven times, on his Tesla's dashboard."

"Tesla requires its drivers to keep their hands on the wheel even when Autopilot is engaged. But Brown appears to have ignored those warnings, even as he manually increased the autopilot's speed 2 minutes before he crashed into the truck, according to the NTSB report."

"Earlier reports by NTSB on the crash have concluded that in addition to going hands-free for the majority of the trip, Brown also made no effort to brake, steer or otherwise avert the deadly accident."

"Since the crash, those reports have said, Tesla has updated its Autopilot feature to include a strikeout system, whereby drivers who repeatedly ignore safety warnings risk having their Autopilot disabled until the next time they start the car."

"At the time of the incident, Tesla said that it was the first crash involving Autopilot in roughly 130 million miles of driving in which the technology was in control. The United States suffers a death on the roads about once every 100 million vehicle miles traveled, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety."

Tesla’s Self-Driving System Cleared in Deadly Crash

"Eight months after a fatal crash involving a Tesla Motors car operating in a computer-assisted mode, federal auto-safety regulators said their investigation of the car found no defects in the system that caused the accident and said Tesla’s Autopilot-enabled vehicles did not need to be recalled."

"It determined he set his car’s cruise control at 74 miles per hour about two minutes before the crash, and should have had at least seven seconds to notice the truck before crashing into it."

The driver manually increased the speed, while ignoring the warnings from the vehicle. I was mistaken earlier. The vehicle gave 6 audible warenings and 7 warnings on the dashboard.

A Tesla allegedly on Autopilot rams into the back of fire truck

A Tesla allegedly on Autopilot rams into the back of fire truck
Understandable how it could have missed seeing such a small object. Now the driver is at fault and will be ticketed and fined for what the car did.
1516718509783.jpg

windows.gif

Forum List

Back