Dr Martin Luther King saved this country

Sorry bout that,

1. I think if MLK was still alive he would commit suicide, if he saw what direction the black community has taken.
2. Martin Luther King was the *GREATEST* American of the 20th Century, *PERIOD*.
3. But the culture of black folks has denigrated so very badly, stupid music, stupid cloths, pants sagging down, spandex, willing to stand out in the cold at shoe store for days and nights for a pair of stupid shoes from a basketball player, Micheal Jordon, teenage pregnancies, multiple fathers to litters of children drawing welfare checks, pointless killings, prisons chucked full of the black men, many blacks falling for islam, his heart would break.
4. These truths are self evident, and the black race has not gone forward, but have gone backwards as a culture.
5. The black people of the 1960's were far more moral, respectable, and had much more going for them, don't shoot me I am only the messenger.
6. I loved Martin Luther King, and I grew up listening to him, I was ten years of age, there abouts, when he was struck down.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

He would seek to disband the NAACP for being against school choice and for standing with the Liberal UTF that has destroyed generations of young minds

Sorry bout that,

1. I think if MLK was still alive he would commit suicide, if he saw what direction the black community has taken.
2. Martin Luther King was the *GREATEST* American of the 20th Century, *PERIOD*.
3. But the culture of black folks has denigrated so very badly, stupid music, stupid cloths, pants sagging down, spandex, willing to stand out in the cold at shoe store for days and nights for a pair of stupid shoes from a basketball player, Micheal Jordon, teenage pregnancies, multiple fathers to litters of children drawing welfare checks, pointless killings, prisons chucked full of the black men, many blacks falling for islam, his heart would break.
4. These truths are self evident, and the black race has not gone forward, but have gone backwards as a culture.
5. The black people of the 1960's were far more moral, respectable, and had much more going for them, don't shoot me I am only the messenger.
6. I loved Martin Luther King, and I grew up listening to him, I was ten years of age, there abouts, when he was struck down.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

He would seek to disband the NAACP for being against school choice and for standing with the Liberal UTF that has destroyed generations of young minds

Quite a pile of stupid stereoypes from the brainwashed (Not racist) dittoheads...

...people who think the civil rights act somehow infringes on our rights really aren't the proper judges of that.

Those are the people who want to drink from a drinking fountain that is completely negro-free.

104502_600.jpg

I grew up in the 60's and saw most of the Civil Rights movement. Like most Americans, I was outraged at the assasination of Dr King. When we talked about giving him a national holiday ten years later, I looked at it as a form of appeasement for outraged blacks.....a way of giving them their own holiday to quiet them down.

In reading about the Civil Rights movement in subsequent years, I realized what a great American Dr King was. Black Americans came back after WWII to find that despite fighting and dying in defense of their country, they were still treated like lesser Americans. They found they were not allowed to mingle with whites, were not welcome in much of the country they had fought for. Blacks were considered to be dirty, diseased and sub human. Some whites were outraged at the thought of eating with blacks, using the same restrooms, riding on public transportation with them.

As black Americans began to protest their treatment in their own country they were met with harsh resistance from both white militants and governments who swore to support inequal treatment. Blacks were denied the right to vote, to freely associate, rights to a fair trial. Those who resisted were met with terrorist attacks. Lynchings, bombings, arrest and assasination of their leaders.

Most of us faced with such horrific treatment in our own homeland would fight violence with violence. How would you react if someone spat on your child for trying to go to school?

When the courts did not protect blacks, armed conflict would seem a reasonable response. Dr King knew violence would only result in more violence against you. He modeled the Civil Rights movement around Gandhis peaceful resistance theories. By using cameras to document the treatment of peaceful protestors he saved this country from an armed violent protest that would have destroyed this country.

America returned from WWII as an economic and military superpower. But a country that does not treat its citizens with respect is not a moral superpower. By changing the way we treat our citizens, Dr King, more importantly, saved our soul. By forcing us to look in a mirror and see who we really are, he enabled us to become a truly great country.

On this Martin Luther King day I hope everyone can reflect on what a great American he was and how much better off we all are

Your post will flush out the racists and the far right hoover reactionaries.

:lol:what pray tell is a "hoover reactionary?"

MLK and I share the same BU alma mater.

I won't go so far as to suggest that he "saved" this nation because such pronoucments are entirely speculative.

But his contributions to making the civil rights movement a political movement, rather than a revolutionary one, is quite obvious to those of us who lived through those turbulent times.

His contributions to the movement, and then his martyrdom for it, make this day of rememberance a good and right thing.

its so funny watching this thread get trolled.

i think it's fair to say there was a lot of unrest.

but i guess people who think the civil rights act somehow infringes on our rights really aren't the proper judges of that.

Only the part that forces private companies not to discriminate. That's an infringement. My problem with that part of the CRA is that I would prefer companies be able to discriminate - because that way I'd know who they are... and I could discriminate against them. I despise racism as much as any liberal - in truth most conservatives despise it (despite what the left say).

And... on topic.... MLK totally rocked! Did he 'save' the country? No. Did he change it for the better? Oh. Hell. YEA.

its all a bunch of trash to avoid looking like the assholes they really are.

There is a reason black people dont vote republican

Oh the irony............JFK voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1957. The Democrat put Civil Rights at the bottom of his list, after he promised to help during his campaign.
Regardless of his promises, in 1961 Kennedy did nothing to help and push forward the civil rights issue. Why? International factors meant that the president could never focus attention on domestic issues in that year. He also knew that there was no great public support for such legislation. Opinion polls indicated that in 1960 and 1961, civil rights was at the bottom of the list when people were asked "what needs to be done in America to advance society ?" Kennedy was also concentrating his domestic attention on improving health care and helping the lowest wage earners. Civil rights issues would only cloud the issue and disrupt progress in these areas. Kennedy also argued that improving health care and wages for the poor would effectively be civil rights legislation as they would benefit the most from these two.

John Kennedy and Civil Rights

He saved this country?? :lol:

You would have to ask how the "second amendment remedies" crowd would have reacted if they were subjected to actual affronts on their freedom. They threaten to get their guns if they are forced to buy healthcare...how would they have responded if the people who firebombed their church killing little girls were not prosecuted?
How would they respond to people spitting on their children?
How would they respond to firehoses and attack dogs?

Dr King saved us by insisting on peaceful responses to horrific acts. Armed violence and retaliation would have only led to more severe reaction from the government and more severe laws against blacks that would have been justified as necessary to supress black violence

Forum List

Back