Dow sheds 388 points in worst day since March as economic worries return

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell Tuesday after the latest home sales and consumer confidence reports stoked concern over the state of the U.S. economy.

The Dow lost 388.00 points, or 1.14%, to 33,618.88 in its worst day since March. The 30-stock index closed below its 200-day moving average for the first time since May.

The S&P 500 slid 1.47% to 4,273.53, closing below 4,300 for the first time since June 9. Meanwhile, the Nasdaq Composite pulled back 1.57% to 13,063.61.

Amazon shares fell 4% — the most of the mega-cap tech stocks — after the Federal Trade Commission filed an antitrust lawsuit, saying the online retailer keeps prices artificially high and hurts rivals.

August new home sales missed expectations. Homes under contract totaled 675,000 for the month, down 8.7% from July, according to the Commerce Department. Economists polled by Dow Jones anticipated a total of 695,000, which would have represented a 2.7% fall from unrevised July totals.

The Conference Board's consumer confidence index fell to 103 in September, down from 108.7 in August. Economists were anticipating 105.5, according to consensus estimates from Dow Jones. The expectations index tumbled to 73.7, below the level that observers associate with recessions.

:oops8:

Yet I'm repeatedly told by the little lesbian sock puppet with the rolling eyes and condescending voice behind the Press Podium that this country is currently seeing the most prosperous and most bestest time in the nation's entire history.

I mean 81 million voters who put their faith in the most capable man in the world, Joe Biden, can't be wrong! :laughing0301:

That said you may as well keep buying on the dip because when the market tanks we are all fucked anyway.

Yes Sir, I'm exuding confidence from the middle-out....or some shit. :dunno:
IMG_0807-2967552.jpg

The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell Tuesday after the latest home sales and consumer confidence reports stoked concern over the state of the U.S. economy.

The Dow lost 388.00 points, or 1.14%, to 33,618.88 in its worst day since March. The 30-stock index closed below its 200-day moving average for the first time since May.

The S&P 500 slid 1.47% to 4,273.53, closing below 4,300 for the first time since June 9. Meanwhile, the Nasdaq Composite pulled back 1.57% to 13,063.61.

Amazon shares fell 4% — the most of the mega-cap tech stocks — after the Federal Trade Commission filed an antitrust lawsuit, saying the online retailer keeps prices artificially high and hurts rivals.

August new home sales missed expectations. Homes under contract totaled 675,000 for the month, down 8.7% from July, according to the Commerce Department. Economists polled by Dow Jones anticipated a total of 695,000, which would have represented a 2.7% fall from unrevised July totals.

The Conference Board's consumer confidence index fell to 103 in September, down from 108.7 in August. Economists were anticipating 105.5, according to consensus estimates from Dow Jones. The expectations index tumbled to 73.7, below the level that observers associate with recessions.

Yet I'm repeatedly told by the little lesbian sock puppet with the rolling eyes and condescending voice behind the Press Podium that this country is currently seeing the most prosperous and most bestest time in the nation's entire history.

I mean 81 million voters who put their faith in the most capable man in the world, Joe Biden, can't be wrong! :laughing0301:

That said you may as well keep buying on the dip because when the market tanks we are all fucked anyway.

IMG_0807-2967552.jpg

How will they try to blame Trump for this?

Ask The Wanker? The Banker

IMG_0807-2967552.jpg
/——-/
1695802760207.png

IMG_0807-2967552.jpg

Looks exactly like Saint Reagan's economy.

Why do you never start threads when the DJI has a good day?

/——/ If you’re a shortie, then the down days are good.

With the current cost of borrowing shorting the market is really expensive on an ongoing basis. You have to do it with "old school " methods of no more than 3 days justified. Meaning you only hold a short position for 3 days.

Then on top of this....
The market acts like a bipolar person off their meds.....it is feast or famine.

Today will likely see some rebound....but then steadily falling again. This is a bear market. Has been for a while.

With the current cost of borrowing shorting the market is really expensive on an ongoing basis. You have to do it with "old school " methods of no more than 3 days justified. Meaning you only hold a short position for 3 days.

Then on top of this....
The market acts like a bipolar person off their meds.....it is feast or famine.

Today will likely see some rebound....but then steadily falling again. This is a bear market. Has been for a while.
I see futures are up +106.

Any of the Board "Economists" want to comment on this one? I know there has to be at least a few that voted for Biden.
Every time you put a Democrat in office the economy and stock market takes a dump.

/——-/ The Reagan economic boom was historic. Everyone prospered. It carried over to Clinton. But you keep spreading lies. It’s what you do best.

Keep parroting the nonsense. You need a peer group to belong to, I don't. 'Reaganomics' lasted about a year, then Volker stepped in and spanked the idiot and put back on the porch, then procedded to raise taxes on the lower income brackets to finnce the cuts for the swinders, junk bond kings. and real estate speculators. It was 'historic', all right, created one of the biggest bubbles since the 1920's, and then popped 'historically' as well; I bought three house for less than the price of one when it popped.

Keep parroting the nonsense. You need a peer group to belong to, I don't. 'Reaganomics' lasted about a year, then Volker stepped in and spanked the idiot and put back on the porch, then procedded to raise taxes on the lower income brackets to finnce the cuts for the swinders, junk bond kings. and real estate speculators. It was 'historic', all right, created one of the biggest bubbles since the 1920's, and then popped 'historically' as well; I bought three house for less than the price of one when it popped.
/——/ What nonsense? I lived and worked from 1971 to 2023. Reagan years were a boom. We’re you even alive then?
At least I can back up my claim. The Ten Causes of the Reagan Boom: 1982-1997

There's more bad news on the horizon....
Just saying....this one is going to be epic!

Forum List

Back