Don’t let the right tell you gun control does not work because it does.

I agree, if you make guns harder to own gun deaths will go down

But is the goal to save lives or something else?
After all, alcohol kills far more people every year than guns, yet I hear no calls to ban alcohol, so why is that?
In fact, people die of heroin at a rate of almost 200 a day, yet there is no calls to secure to border better to stop the drugs from pouring into the country, nor is there any call to make the severity of dealing those drugs more harsh to that they are unable to be released to go do it again and again and again.
In fact, why not just ban cars? That would save millions every year.

So is the real issue saving lives or something else?

Hmm?

Also, how many lives are saved by owning guns? See, this is never addressed.

Again, this is never addressed nor do you want it talked about because saving lives is not the issue.
And if gun deaths go down, other deaths will go up. The OP talks about gun control reducing deaths but during the 1994 assault weapons ban. the number of AR-15s in every single state in the nation actually went up while gun deaths went down. Apparently more AR-15s in the hands of American citizens reduces gun deaths.

Try to buy a handgun or AR15 in another developed country then complain you don't have easy access. Or, for that matter, an over/under shotgun or a bolt action rifle. Then complain you don't have easy access.
I don't want to live in other countries where the fucking government tells me I can't own a gun for self defense. so IDGAF what other countries do.

1654957216716.png

I don't want to live in other countries where the fucking government tells me I can't own a gun for self defense. so IDGAF what other countries do.
And anyone who prefers those countries way of doing things over ours should go there. Insist on their right to walk across the border of the country of choice and sign up for government aid.

Try to buy a handgun or AR15 in another developed country then complain you don't have easy access. Or, for that matter, an over/under shotgun or a bolt action rifle. Then complain you don't have easy access.

California is a shining example of success for curbing gun violence with gun control legislation. It doesn’t come from one specific policy - but a combination of several.

“For the last 20, maybe even 25 years — except for the two years of the pandemic, which have increased homicides and suicides across the country — our rates of firearm violence have trended downward,” said Wintemute, who directs the Violence Prevention Research Program at the University of California, Davis, Medical Center in Sacramento. “And this has been at a time when most of the rates in the rest of the country have gone up.”

California’s rate of firearm mortality is among the nation’s lowest, with 8.5 gun deaths per 100,000 people in 2020, compared with 13.7 per 100,000 nationally and 14.2 per 100,000 in Texas, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reported. And Californians are about 25% less likely to die in mass shootings, compared with residents of other states, according to a recent Public Policy Institute of California analysis.

….California has done a lot to prevent high-risk people from purchasing firearms. We’ve broadened the criteria for keeping guns out of the hands of people who pose a danger to themselves or others due to mental illness. If you’re convicted of a violent misdemeanor in California, you can’t have a gun for the next 10 years; that offense has to be a felony in most states….

….We require background checks, and not just from licensed retailers; in most states, purchases from private parties require no background checks or record keeping of any kind. We have a system, that we’re evaluating now, for getting guns back from “prohibited persons” — people who have been convicted of violent crimes or who are facing domestic violence restraining orders. And we enforce these policies, unlike a lot of other states.

Never stops lying, ever.

California is a shining example of success for curbing gun violence with gun control legislation. It doesn’t come from one specific policy - but a combination of several.

“For the last 20, maybe even 25 years — except for the two years of the pandemic, which have increased homicides and suicides across the country — our rates of firearm violence have trended downward,” said Wintemute, who directs the Violence Prevention Research Program at the University of California, Davis, Medical Center in Sacramento. “And this has been at a time when most of the rates in the rest of the country have gone up.”

California’s rate of firearm mortality is among the nation’s lowest, with 8.5 gun deaths per 100,000 people in 2020, compared with 13.7 per 100,000 nationally and 14.2 per 100,000 in Texas, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reported. And Californians are about 25% less likely to die in mass shootings, compared with residents of other states, according to a recent Public Policy Institute of California analysis.

….California has done a lot to prevent high-risk people from purchasing firearms. We’ve broadened the criteria for keeping guns out of the hands of people who pose a danger to themselves or others due to mental illness. If you’re convicted of a violent misdemeanor in California, you can’t have a gun for the next 10 years; that offense has to be a felony in most states….

….We require background checks, and not just from licensed retailers; in most states, purchases from private parties require no background checks or record keeping of any kind. We have a system, that we’re evaluating now, for getting guns back from “prohibited persons” — people who have been convicted of violent crimes or who are facing domestic violence restraining orders. And we enforce these policies, unlike a lot of other states.

Bwuhahaha

Chicago is another 'shining example',having the equivalent of a mass shooting every week / weeked.

Forum List

Back