Donald is facing a very bad 2023.

What is the TDS crowd goin' to do when they don't have Trump to focus on?

Celebrate, party, smoke a doob, listen to music, attend the theatre, write songs, write a book, visit friends, plant a garden, play my piano, walk my dog, feed my cat, stretch out at the beach, and RELAX.

With him gone, I won't have to think about politics, and I'm looking forward to that day.

And, FYI, 'TDS' is a thought-terminating cliché. Data points are non partisan, and only one side thinks that is a word.

Celebrate, party, smoke a doob, listen to music, attend the theatre, write songs, write a book, visit friends, plant a garden, play my piano, walk my dog, feed my cat, stretch out at the beach, and RELAX.

With him gone, I won't have to think about politics, and I'm looking forward to that day.

And, FYI, 'TDS' is a thought-terminating cliché. Data points are non partisan, and only one side thinks that is a word.
The collective does not think.

With his appeals and other legal stall tactics nearly exhausted, The Donald is facing a very bad 2023. The Trump Organization, the crown jewel of his business entities has already been found guilty of 17 counts of tax fraud and other crimes. Bigger legal worries now loom in Georgia, New York, and D.C. for the former President, once thought to be above the law. Republican lawmakers and his own lawyers have even been ordered to testify as to his efforts to overturn an election, obstruct investigations, and engage in fraudulent business practices.

Republicans can cry that's this is all politically motivated, but Trump appointed judges have ruled against his claims of voter fraud multiple times, and a number of conservative leaning judges have struck down his appeals.

2023 is shaping up to be a very bad year for The Donald. :dunno:
His "tactic" is that the corrupt Dim politicians have no case.

Should I buy more stock now that the market is so low? Can’t be risky with all your money.

PS. Under trump I remember they were offering 1%. Now it’s 5%. Was 1% keeping up with inflation?

when I was a kid, in the 60s, you could get 4% on any savings account. These super low interest rates are really a recent phenomenon, due to the influence of the MMT crowd on liberals. That is where I part with my liberal brethren, on Fed Policy on the funds rate. It should be in the 3-6% range, to keep inflation from galloping and getting away. It was zero or near it or too long.

Interest Rate in the United States averaged 5.42 percent from 1971 until 2023, reaching an all time high of 20.00 percent in March of 1980 and a record low of 0.25 percent in December of 2008

You think today's rates are high? You weren't alive, or old enough to remember 1980 and the high inflation that occurred, which Paul Volcker cured, but it took a heavy hand at the Fed to do it. Jerome Powell appears to be following a similar course.

Ahem, Trump is not President today....Or are you stuck on Trump? What is your guy Biden doing to wipe out inflation?

Interest Rate in the United States averaged 5.42 percent from 1971 until 2023, reaching an all time high of 20.00 percent in March of 1980 and a record low of 0.25 percent in December of 2008

High interest rates were the norm for years. When I was a kid in the 60s, it was normal to assume one could get 4% in a savings account, and they were common in those days. Who has a savings account today?

You weren't alive, or old enough to remember 1980 and the high inflation that occurred, which then Fed Chairman Paul Volcker cured (who was appointed by Carter near the end of his term), but it took a heavy hand to do it. Current Fed chairman Jerome Powell appears to be following a similar course. That Biden renominated Powell to stay in office, who was appointed by Trump (though Obama first appointed him to the Board of Governors), was the right thing to do, because when it comes to Fed policy, I'm on the conservative side of things.

when I was a kid, in the 60s, you could get 4% on any savings account. These super low interest rates are really a recent phenomenon, due to the influence of the MMT crowd on liberals. That is where I part with my liberal brethren, on Fed Policy on the funds rate. It should be in the 3-6% range, to keep inflation from galloping and getting away. It was zero or near it or too long.

You think today's rates are high? You weren't alive, or old enough to remember 1980 and the high inflation that occurred, which Paul Volcker cured, but it took a heavy hand at the Fed to do it. Jerome Powell appears to be following a similar course.
Oh, I remember the eighties well…new home interest rates were in the neighborhood of 18%, and the Carter years were a complete disaster.

If young folks are supposed to be demofks, why would any of you think us young? Kind of stupid. You own a home in the 80’s

High interest rates were the norm for years. When I was a kid in the 60s, it was normal to assume one could get 4% in a savings account, and they were common in those days. Who has a savings account today?

You weren't alive, or old enough to remember 1980 and the high inflation that occurred, which then Fed Chairman Paul Volcker cured (who was appointed by Carter near the end of his term), but it took a heavy hand to do it. Current Fed chairman Jerome Powell appears to be following a similar course. That Biden renominated Powell to stay in office, who was appointed by Trump (though Obama first appointed him to the Board of Governors), was the right thing to do, because when it comes to Fed policy, I'm on the conservative side of things.
Rates that the less fortunate can’t afford. Interests aren’t the people

Last edited:

I agree. I have everything paid off. So I want interest rates high. I’ll get higher % on my savings.

I remember my grandmother had $50k saved and social security. She was getting 10% interest. $5000 / 12 months She lived on that $400 a month plus ss

If you "tied" it up for 5 years, i.e. in a CD, the only thing safe is how much you're losing.
How do you know what inflations going to be in 2 years?

You should never have all your money in risky investments. So where are you tucking your safe money? How much you getting on your safe nest egg?

Its only five years. Do you think things will get better in 2 or 3 years? Oh yea. You think trump will be potus again

How do you know what inflations going to be in 2 years?

You should never have all your money in risky investments. So where are you tucking your safe money? How much you getting on your safe nest egg?

Its only five years. Do you think things will get better in 2 or 3 years? Oh yea. You think trump will be potus again
Guessing tied up for 5 years means the same as locked in for 5 years. And you don't know what inflation will do in 2 years, although with Biden running the show, we've seen what happened in the last two years. Something like six months ago CD rates were .50%, now their 4-5%, it changes quickly. Can't predict what happens in the next six months, the Feds are in the raise rates mindset, which suggests CD's will go up. If they start lowering the rates, then I'd consider something longer term.

Oh, I remember the eighties well…new home interest rates were in the neighborhood of 18%, and the Carter years were a complete disaster.

Carter took a major hit for what the fed did during his years. The president has no control over the federal reserve, they operate completely independent of the executive branch and congress. And during the Carter years, the Federal Reserve pursued an expansionary monetary policy that involved lowering interest rates and increasing the money supply. This policy was intended to stimulate economic growth, but it also had the unintended consequence of contributing to inflation. But, actually, on the other hand Carter was directly responsible for bringing down inflation by the appointment of Paul Volcker as chairman of the Fed who rose interest rates to bring inflation down. Appointing the chairman (toward the end of Carter's term), that is the only effect a president can have on the fed, what the chairman does, the President has no control over.

Carter took a major hit for what the fed did during his years. The president has no control over the federal reserve, they operate completely independent of the executive branch and congress. And during the Carter years, the Federal Reserve pursued an expansionary monetary policy that involved lowering interest rates and increasing the money supply. This policy was intended to stimulate economic growth, but it also had the unintended consequence of contributing to inflation. But, actually, on the other hand Carter was directly responsible for bringing down inflation by the appointment of Paul Volcker as chairman of the Fed who rose interest rates to bring inflation down. Appointing the chairman (toward the end of Carter's term), that is the only effect a president can have on the fed, what the chairman does, the President has no control over.
Aw bullshit! You think Yellen is not in sync with the Biden administration? That's ridiculous...The blame for Carter's disastrous administration was exactly HIS own fault...Just as he is probably thankful to God that Biden came along....

Aw bullshit! You think Yellen is not in sync with the Biden administration? That's ridiculous...The blame for Carter's disastrous administration was exactly HIS own fault...Just as he is probably thankful to God that Biden came along....

Yellen is Treasury Secretary, she is not the Chairman of the Federal Reserve. Jerome Powell, a conservative appointed by Trump, remains as chairman. I'm talking about monetary policy, (as opposed to fiscal policy) that is controlled by the federal reserve,

Fiscal policy and monetary policy are two separate policy tools that are managed by different entities in the United States government.

Fiscal policy is controlled by the Treasury Department and the legislative branch of government. The Treasury Department is responsible for managing government spending and revenue collection. This includes the collection of taxes and the issuance of government debt, as well as the administration of government programs like Social Security and Medicare. The legislative branch of government, specifically Congress, has the power to set government spending levels, tax rates, and other fiscal policies through the passage of laws and budgets.

On the other hand, monetary policy is controlled by the Federal Reserve, which is an independent agency that is not directly controlled by the President or Congress. The Federal Reserve is responsible for setting interest rates and managing the money supply in the economy to achieve its dual mandate of maximum employment and stable prices.

While the President has some influence over both fiscal and monetary policy, their direct control is limited. The President can propose and advocate for certain fiscal policies and budgets, but ultimately, it is up to Congress to pass those policies into law. The President also has some influence over the Federal Reserve by appointing members of its Board of Governors, but the Federal Reserve operates independently and is not subject to direct control by the President or Congress.

In summary, fiscal policy is controlled by the Treasury Department and Congress, while monetary policy is controlled by the Federal Reserve. While the President has some influence over both areas, his direct control is limited.

Yellen is Treasury Secretary, she is not the Chairman of the Federal Reserve. Jerome Powell, a conservative appointed by Trump, remains as chairman. I'm talking about monetary policy, (as opposed to fiscal policy) that is controlled by the federal reserve,

Fiscal policy and monetary policy are two separate policy tools that are managed by different entities in the United States government.

Fiscal policy is controlled by the Treasury Department and the legislative branch of government. The Treasury Department is responsible for managing government spending and revenue collection. This includes the collection of taxes and the issuance of government debt, as well as the administration of government programs like Social Security and Medicare. The legislative branch of government, specifically Congress, has the power to set government spending levels, tax rates, and other fiscal policies through the passage of laws and budgets.

On the other hand, monetary policy is controlled by the Federal Reserve, which is an independent agency that is not directly controlled by the President or Congress. The Federal Reserve is responsible for setting interest rates and managing the money supply in the economy to achieve its dual mandate of maximum employment and stable prices.

While the President has some influence over both fiscal and monetary policy, their direct control is limited. The President can propose and advocate for certain fiscal policies and budgets, but ultimately, it is up to Congress to pass those policies into law. The President also has some influence over the Federal Reserve by appointing members of its Board of Governors, but the Federal Reserve operates independently and is not subject to direct control by the President or Congress.

In summary, fiscal policy is controlled by the Treasury Department and Congress, while monetary policy is controlled by the Federal Reserve. While the President has some influence over both areas, his direct control is limited.
This seems like a lot of excuse making to me….

With his appeals and other legal stall tactics nearly exhausted, The Donald is facing a very bad 2023. The Trump Organization, the crown jewel of his business entities has already been found guilty of 17 counts of tax fraud and other crimes. Bigger legal worries now loom in Georgia, New York, and D.C. for the former President, once thought to be above the law. Republican lawmakers and his own lawyers have even been ordered to testify as to his efforts to overturn an election, obstruct investigations, and engage in fraudulent business practices.

Republicans can cry that's this is all politically motivated, but Trump appointed judges have ruled against his claims of voter fraud multiple times, and a number of conservative leaning judges have struck down his appeals.

2023 is shaping up to be a very bad year for The Donald. :dunno:
5q0qd2.jpg

Forum List

Back