Dominican Republic vs US Ambassador

Peony

Rookie
Mar 10, 2016
The Dominican Republic boasts a bustling economy, sparkling ocean views, tourism, professional baseball, historic buildings, including the first Cathedral built in the Americas. You’d think that US Ambassador to this Caribbean nation would be a pretty mellow gig. His typical agenda for any given month is likely to involve solving a American tourist’s minor passport snafu, appearing at the opening of a new restaurant, attending a few luncheons, writing some reports for bureaucracy’s sake, then off to maintain his suntan.

Why is there a petition filling up with signatures demanding removal of US Ambassador to the Dominican Republic James “Wally" Brewster?

Representing American interests is the heart of being an Ambassador, according to a Job Shadow interview. (Read the whole thing here. US Ambassador Salary and Job Description > How much do you make as a) Ambassador Brewster’s main thrust on the job appears to be imparting the gospel of LBGT. See, Ambassador Brewster doesn’t just include his partner Bob Satawake in such activities where you’d expect a spouse to be involved in, for instance, dinner parties at their residence. Satawake also accompanies Brewster during the course of his routine job duties. In other words, if Brewster visits a room full of school children or a petting zoo or his newly formed LGBT Chamber of Commerce, his husband is there holding his hand.

Many Dominicans think that Ambassador Brewster’s behavior is just plain rude and disrespectful. The constitution of the Dominican Republic declares that marriage is a union between one man and one woman. Furthermore, some 95% of the people living in the Dominican Republic are Roman Catholic and thus believe that marriage is a bond between a man and a woman, that homosexuality is a sin, and that God got it right when he created us.

However, Brewster is on a mission. Remarks at a recent International Day of Zero Discrimination event, Brewster said, “I believe that one of my duties as ambassador is to help advance the tolerance of and respect for marginalized groups and an appreciation for diversity. I try to accomplish this through our U.S. Embassy programs and through my own personal example.” (More here. Calls Grow in Caribbean Nation for Gay U.S. Ambassador's Removal)

In response to the Dominican Republic's request that Brewster be removed, National security advisor Susan Rice decreed it bigotry and intolerable.

It isn’t intolerable to force-feed the people of the Dominican Republic a belief antithetical to theirs?

Apparently, the Obama administration considers it critical to American interests to school Dominicans on modern ideas regarding gender, sex, and relationships. Anyone who doesn’t like it, is a bigot. Respecting the laws and culture of another country evidently isn’t part of the equation.

Will Wally Brewster lose his Ambassadorship? We’ll see. Right now, it looks like the Obama administration wishes to continue wagging a finger at the DR for their alleged failure to address the rights of LGBT people. Never mind that Dominicans aren’t throwing any homosexuals off of roofs, the real problem is that they choose not to mount Rainbow flags on those roofs.

Surely, tolerance dogma ought to include respecting a country’s old fashioned beliefs. After all, just because the Obama administration evolved in how they view the inside of some people’s underpants doesn’t mean everybody has to celebrate malleable sexual mores.

I remember about a dozen years ago that homosexual activity was worthy of the death penalty in Haiti, the DR's neighbor on the island.

What is the penalty, if any, for such activity in the DR?

Forum List

Back